Anyone Using Rocksmith 2014?

Discussion in 'Jam Room' started by CyFan4036, Aug 5, 2018.

1. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

I have a PS4 and have been contemplating either traditional lessons or using Rocksmith. Is it possible to use , I think they're called cdlc files, non official songs on the ps4? I really want Pink Floyd and John Mayer songs. I know you can do it on pc but it's a little less clear for ps4. My only pc is a laptop and I'm not sure the screen is big enough for me. What do you guys think? I gotta get to the next level!

nomadh likes this.
  2. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

Not on console, but I do still fire mine up on the PC pretty regularly.

Did you check out Customs Forge (or whatever it is called).

Thats how I learned about CDLC for the PC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3. sabasgr68

sabasgr68 Well-Known Member

sorry to ask: what´s CDLC? Thanks!

4. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

I use the PC version as well. Never tried PS4, but I'm sure it works the same. The website is customsforge.com. They have a huge library of free stuff. Just be aware that they're not official, so make sure you scan them all before you download, cuz I'm sure some of that shit is dirty. Also, some of them are terrible. Just delete them and find other tracks.

The website should have pretty detailed instructions on how to use it on ps4. The instructions for PC were pretty straightforward.

CDLC = custom downloadable content. These are the free songs you get from customsforge. As opposed to DLC, which is the regular downloadable content that they sell through the store.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    sabasgr68 likes this.
  5. sabasgr68

sabasgr68 Well-Known Member

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Aullucci likes this.
  6. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

I use it daily, on PC. The controls using the PS4 were pretty clunky and I lost interest fast. If you have a monitor laying around, plug that in to your laptop and that will solve the small screen issue.

The only negative for me with Rocksmith, is that I don't really memorize the songs. Since it puts the notes right there on the screen for you, my brain forgets to hit the record button. I can play a song eleventeen-hundred times in Rocksmith, but if you ask me to play that exact same song outside of Rocksmith I come up pretty empty. That just might be how my brain works though.

honyock and RockYoWorld like this.
  7. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I think I have the 2015 for PC. But I dont use it. It drives me crazy. Most songs or at least all the ones i want to play require a seperate tuning. Why they didnt adjust the off tuned stones song or at least have a button to move it 12 cents to standard was truly stupid.
    Then to even have a chance to play real time I need to to make the screen show left handed. For me as a right hander. Why did they make it show opposite of tab?
    Then last is its really hard to go back to a 20% correct score to a song I already know how to play great without the game "showing me how"

8. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

I have it for Xbox One and have the same issue. I end up "streaming" the info instead of downloading and running. I mainly use it for bass as I want to get better at that. I have more fun hooking my guitar up to my regular system and jamming that way. The latency also gets to me after a while. Still a cool game/tool.

rmfroyd likes this.
  9. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

wow NOMADh, you want to play KORN, but you DONT Want the alternate tunings........

anyway to the OP

My wife bought it for me in 2014 for my xmas gift. I loved it, until my boy discovered steam, however I did move to the PC and although I agree the controls are 100% easier I did find that it will "uncover" any issues.

Apparently there was "something " about the wiring on my SG it didn't like (I had JUST finished building the thing FOR RS2014), and I had no issues w/ my amps.

Turns out there was JUST enough cross over noise in my switch that it fubard the input to the pc, the amp sorted it out w/ zero issues.

As for alternate tunings, well that's what its all about isn't it?

Now as for "learning the songs" Im not a site reader, when I played piano, I was, no more, for me, the muscke memory that gets built up over the time playing in RS14 is what gets me the song.

I can still pick up any axe and belt out "Bring me to Life", now its easier on a 24 fret, BUT most of those have OFR trems to and there is nothing easy about those........

10. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I couldn't do it.

I swear, I gave it every chance to work for me - but I couldn't. The latency, the lackluster song list, the inaccuracy of the CDLC, the chore of dragging all my shit to that location, and the terrible GUI...

These days, I have youtube premium with a custom songlist I maintain. I hit play and let it run through a set of in-ear buds, then I play guitar/bass through my Helix into some over-ear cans. So, yes, I'm wearing two sets of headphones - silly as that may sound. I can practice to my heart's content without bugging anyone else.

I'm still not the guitar player I'd love to be, but I can play damn near anything you set in front of me on bass these days. I'll catch Claypool yet!

I supplement that with online tabs if necessary. I don't care to learn theory, so this develops my ear training and song memorization.

RockYoWorld likes this.
  11. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

Now you just need an audio interface or small mixer so you can just rock with one of those sets of headphones ;)

rrobbone likes this.
  12. notme

notme Well-Known Member

I found the same thing as rmfroyd, you dont really learn the songs. However I did find a lot of the other excercise/games useful and it made it fun to learn instead of a chore. I would tell a beginner to start with it if they are taking it as a hobby, if your going to be a serious player, get proper lessons for sure.
    I havent used in a long while, i noodle and learn by ear, it really helped me learn the fretboard among other things.

13. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Shit!

I never thought of that. My old interface died before I started doing things this way, and I didn't think to route the signal through my brand spankin' Helix. Sometimes a better solution is too obvious...

Thanks for the logic slap!

RockYoWorld likes this.
  14. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

About the only thing I can remember from playing songs are the riffs or solos if i play. I get the jist of it using Rocksmith then i end up pulling up a tab to try to beat it into my head.

I am much better are picking up songs on the bass via Rocksmith.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

15. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

Agreed bass+rocksmith= damn near perfect.

16. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have RS 2014 on x360, x1 and imac. great way to relax, time permitting. At this point i use the imac most of the time, just for the lessons. Good tones in that game. I used it for bass briefly, until i determined that i am the one guitarist on the planet who is unable to play bass.

17. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

??? Not alt tunings. Probably need to have heard a Korn song to bother playing it. Lots of old rock songs are not tuned strictly to 440. So that stupid game has me retuning nearly every song. 437 then 440 the 446 then 436.
    Pretty sure they could have had an option to adjust all the recordings to 440.

18. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

you can organize your song library by tunings to avoid having to retune after every song