Atv Scam

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by Rj1, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Rj1

Rj1 New Member

Iv been looking for another 4x4 atv Or a side by side so I went on craiglist , I saw one that I knew was to good to be true. 2016 Yama Grizzly 700 and they only wanted 2000. For it I e- mailed the person and said I wanted to come check it out they got back to me in less the 10 min and said they were in Kansas . I ask why they had the ad in my local craiglist sit and they said they want to get rid of it fast because it was there fathers who had just died and they were in the millatary and were going to be shipped out soon . They said what base they were on I told them I have a friend in the area that could meet them and check it out , that's when they said that they could not leave the base . They told me that they would cover the shipping cost to and that they were having eBay handle the sale so my money would be safe . This is when I knew the hole thing was a scam ebay only guarantee's your money if you sell it on there site . The person emailed me again and said if we do this now he would knock off 200 dollers all he needed was my ebay information so he could set it up . I'm a state trooper in the North East part of the country so I looked for more ads like this and I found over a 100 of them I even emailed a few of them and would get the same kind of story like the atv was my sons and he died almost all of them had someone who died in there story . I found over 40 of them just on the Philadelphia site . Some of them say the sale is going through the offer-up site again they only guarantee stuff that is sold on there site . And some say they want to do cryptocurrency which is hard to trace . I gave the information to some of are computer tech guys who are real good and there now trying to locate them . They have even been in contact with a few posing as buyers for some of the ATV's . The sad thing is there is going to be people who fall for it thinking there getting a great deal but if someone is selling an ATV 5000. Under what it's worth then it has to be a scam

DonM, andrewsrea and tonray like this.
  2. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

3. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So many scams out there now you gotta stay on your toes all the time. What I hate is the scam calls on my cell phone all the time. I constantly get calls telling me that my SSA number has been used and I need to call them or I will be prosecuted for fraud. I've been around enough to know a scam when I hear it but there are many seniors that are starting to lose it a bit and those are the folks these miserable thieves are looking for. One thing I know is both the IRS and the SSA send you a letter long before they would ever get the point that they would call. Oh yeah and there's the one about your creditcard or your car or trucks warranty running out. Isn't the digital age wonderful. Craigslist is filled with scams , mixed in with the lagit adds, its like these's thief's are spinning a web and waiting for you to step into it.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    rockhound350 and tonray like this.

4. Rj1

Rj1 New Member

I love the big guy post . I posted this on the wrong site I didn't see it was a guitar site. MichaelR your 100 percent right about older people falling for so e of these scams . Like the one IRS scam . Here you have hard working people who live on a fix income getting these calls and then are afraid there in trouble . If you ever watched our listen to one of these scam calls its a joke . I didn't know the IRS had so many Pakistani agents . The State Trooper unit Iam at was working one of these cases with the IRS were an elderly couple were scammed out of almost 20 thousand dollers and were afraid to tell there children about it . I would love ten min in a room with these people . The thing about the ATV scam is there not hiding tracks to well and it's only a matter of time before eaither state our federal authority's catch up with them . Remember never give any personal information out and if something looks to good to be true it is .

5. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I hope you are able to track em down.
    Long as your here may as well learn to play guitar and thus aquire Gear Acquisition Syndrome I.E. GAS which we here will be glad enable.

DonM and BrianSkeezer like this.
  6. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

So a guy goes in to confession.
    He tells the priest "Father, I'm a 70 year old man, and I'm sleeping with a 20 year old Victoria's Secret model"
    "I see. Fornication is a grave sin" says the priest, "When was your last confession?"
    "Never. I'm not even Catholic, I'm Jewish"
    Confused, the priest asks "So why are you here telling me this?"
    "Oh, I'm telling EVERYBODY!"

DonM, RiverDog, mark_morton and 7 others like this.
  7. Rj1

Rj1 New Member

I would love to learn how to play a guitar , but I don't think I have the patience . The thing is my wife bought me one years ago and I still have it she now use it as decoration in are home .

MichaelR likes this.
  8. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

If it sounds too good,...

9. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

There was a local scam warning on the local TV news this evening.
    Seems you get a call from someone claiming to be a very well known sheriff's office employee who tells you:
    You have a warrant out for your arrest but you can clear it by paying the $500 fine by buying one of these gift cards using your credit/debit card.

10. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

You likely won't. 75% of these cretins are overseas...Eastern Europe, Russia, Ukraine or West/Central Africa

11. stormin1155

stormin1155 Well-Known Member

Sounds just like a scam I ran across recently. Ad on CL for a pontoon boat for $2000 that should have gone for 4 times that. Daughter selling it for her mother who had to move which is why she was selling so cheap. It was in a different town, a "friend" could show it and had all the paperwork, yadda yadda yadda. There was an email address, and when I googled it, it popped up in CL ads in a couple dozen cities across the country. ….if it sounds too good to be true......

tonray likes this.
  12. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I'm so sick of these people. But even if caught what are we going to do to them? 2 mo jail then probation? They are probably out of the country. I say track em, send a covert delta force over there, then cut their hands off.
    I've moderated from my old vivisection over an anthill stand.

13. Rj1

Rj1 New Member

I work in P.A and I know some of the craiglist scams are local out of N.Y and one big one is operating out of Philadelphia . Once they ask for or if someone sends them money though a wire transfer it becomes a federal charge . Plus any theft of over 500 becomes a felony . So if caught they are looking at some good charges . I just really want to be involed in one of the arrest I just want to see the look on there face when caught , then they might know what the people they scammed felt like .

bc rich and rockhound350 like this.
  14. Morrison

Morrison Active Member

I was getting 10-15 of those calls a day.

Found an option on my phone to have it only ring IF the person is in my contact list. Everyone else gets sent straight to voicemail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiverDog, fullonshred and STACKS like this.