Be My Well-hung Focus Group - Stang Guitars Tour

Discussion in 'tvvoodoo's Hangout' started by tvvoodoo, Mar 30, 2018.

?

Which one makes you interested? Resonates for you

1. Which of these Things...

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. No Worries

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  3. Neither do it for me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member

Alright my guitar-loving friends and guinea pigs, asking for some "direct from your gut" opinion as a consumers, and current, or possible future customers.

I have made a fairly large investment in this cool hardware, and I do hope to get most of it back, maybe even a little more LOL! I would like to do it in as fast a manner as possible, so I need to be on-target sell wise.

So, two display ads here for my Well-Hung jumbo oversize guitar strap button:
    9ef818641ab2ebffd613c60ec75eeba3.jpg

OR - - - - - -

e5fabb190f94f6dbe7407a5ebf471744.jpg

do either of these make you want to look into a set? Is your interest piqued? Is this something even
    at all on your radar? If not, how could I put it there? Should I keep calling them Pro-Pins?

If you are interested, what would be a fair price in your mind to pay for 1 pair, or 2 or 3 pairs bundled?

If I was to include and option for a pair with every strap I made say at $60, would you pay a little
    extra? How much extra would you, could you bend?

I am also fully open to any suggestions you may have on this because I value you all as friends, and
    generally unrehabitable gear whores LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
    MadJack, fullonshred, DonM and 4 others like this.
  2. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

The lower ad looks better, but I would use the text from the top ad.

MadJack, DonM, tvvoodoo and 2 others like this.
  3. zacsdad

zacsdad Well-Known Member

I’m with Mossman

tvvoodoo and BrianSkeezer like this.

4. Beyer160

Beyer160 Well-Known Member

Funny, I was just going to say the exact opposite- I like the look of the top ad and the text from the bottom one.

Either one would be fine with a hot chick in the ad, though.

Mossman and tvvoodoo like this.
  5. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Baldy McBaldhead Staff Member

I like both of them.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  6. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

Lower ad looks better, but too wordy. Also, should include a shorter screw option, I think the screw in the above ad would go through a SG's fretboard.

The washer in the top ad needs to be refined a bit, or left out.

Prolly should get a '59 Les Paul, hang it upside down from a running ceiling fan, just to prove your point!

7. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Baldy McBaldhead Staff Member

What will a set of these run? I might need a bunch.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  8. Beyer160

Beyer160 Well-Known Member

tvvoodoo likes this.
  9. tvvoodoo

Thank you for the comments, anyone know any hot available girls?

And ryan, the length is exaggerated by the close up, but those are actual pin screws from the other ones believe it or not.
    The length of the screw in the Pro-Pin is 30mm TOTAL, and protrudment beyond the washer is only 7/8th in.

JB my big problem is where I am and distribution.
    Shipping the smallest package I can from up here is $10, with f-all in it. Seriously. Now if I had a flat product, I could mail as a letter, quite a different story.

In my heart of hearts, with all the pre-work design costs etc, staying awake at night etc. raw sitting on the table value of these is approx $2.60 each.
    Then you have packaging, making the washers, yadda yadda. I would like to see $5 each, $10 a pair. But if it has to be $4 each ($8 a pair) I could bear it maybe
    and not have to sell my house. the latest schaller strap locks are $27 a set.

I'm thinking I'd be able to bundle two sets for $15, and three for $? PLUS shipping.

But, I could maybe use them as a tool to help sell straps only. Make them sort of a special more boutiquey thing, the only way to get them, buy a Well-Hung strap.
    Does that make sense? I get a lot of guys offering me on reverb, minus $10 (about half the time) for straps. I'd like to convince them not.
    If I said, pay full price on a strap, I'll include a set of these. Shipping is already paid.

I don't know, I'm much better at advertising than I am marketing.

fullonshred and BrianSkeezer like this.
  10. Tyrannocaster

Tyrannocaster Well-Known Member

I prefer the second ad, by far.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  11. Raindog

Raindog Well-Known Member

Second ad looks more professional. Text after "No worries." could use a little cleaning up.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  12. Tyrannocaster

How is this different from a regular guitar strap? I get that it's bigger, but operationally, is it different? If you have to open your strap up to put it over the washer, aren't you in the same place you were before, with the old strap? I'm curious. I don't use Strap Locks - I actually hate them even while I see their value, and when I was gigging, I used them. But now that I'm not, I find them to be a real pain in the ass with all the extra metal stuck to the ends of the guitar strap, where it can scratch my guitars. (Plus, they clank.) This is just me, because I happen to have a strap length that fits perfectly on top of a Fender neck in the case and all I have to do is unhook the strap by the neck and I'm ready to put it away like that. So I could maybe be a customer for these, but I don't see the advantage. I must be missing something obvious.

13. tvvoodoo

they just stay on way better. Ever bent down to tweak a pedal, and that space capsule ramps your strap right off? M
    have an older strap that the hole is a bit worn, won't stay on your button securely? This solves it.

I have a vested interest in strap security, and I use quite a bit thicker leather on the strap ends that I make. Now mine work
    ok with regular buttons, but I wanted to go one better so I designed a better button to accommodate my own straps,
    but that also plays well with all others.

I hate strap locks too. Had one where the ball bearings just disintegrated out of nowhere on me and the thing flew apart - SURPRISE!
    more than just the button, think about the robust hardware longer, slightly larger screw that these are designed around.

How many thread on the web where some internet armchair luther is telling joe-guitarman that he needs to use
    glue and toothpics so he can put his strap back on. Poor hardware, ripped right out of the guitar. This happens far too often.
    This solves it... FOREVER, or prevents it.

14. Tyrannocaster

Okay, but if your strap can be taken off these larger button, can't it still come off when you might not want it to? I'm not being argumentative here, I genuinely don't see it. Won't the strap just adapt to the larger button? BTW, although I've never made a guitar strap, I have a lot of experience working leather, which is my preferred material for straps. I got into leather work, beading, brain tanning, and rawhide braiding a few years ago, but I wasn't playing then. I've got some sides I've never used, so maybe I should make a few straps for myself. I seem to be acquiring more and more guitars, and they all need straps. They're like baby pups clamoring for Mom. :)

EDIT: what happens if your strap gets used to these and then you put it on a guitar with stock buttons?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  15. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

You ain't in marketing, iz you? ;)

16. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Me three. As for pricing, I don't think $10 a set is out of line but what's the cost of what you're going up against?

tvvoodoo likes this.
  17. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

i like the second image better, but yeah, seems like the text should be more concise or something.

as far as the business model, i've got no idea. i'd think maybe either tossing them in for the higher-end straps (and an add-on to the lower-end straps) and maybe selling them in batches of a few sets (with no strap) to get the shipping to where it makes sense. or get a distribution partner in the states who can ship them cheaper.

tvvoodoo likes this.
  18. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

Hmmm distribution partner.....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RiverDog and tvvoodoo like this.
  19. bc rich

bc rich Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The images in the top one gets the message across pronto
    The second one is a bit wordy in a Rondo-itis kind of way .
    Best o luck

tvvoodoo likes this.
  20. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I was thinking something along the same lines but have no idea how that works. Some sort of order fulfillment arrangement that's located is a less remote area where shipping costs would be less...