Beginner Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TeeKay, Aug 22, 2019.

1. TeeKay

TeeKay New Member

I went to an older friend's house who has a guitar collection he'd probably use he gun collection to protect. Some of them are older than I am and I am 45. Beautiful guitars that felt and sounded amazing. I had no idea electric guitars were like this. AND I can bar without dead notes!!! If I knew then what I know now!! He helped me decided what to get and it has taken me about a year to finally purchase. I figure now is the time before tariffs become a barrier to my ability to purchase.

I currently play acoustic. I ordered a 3200 MCC. I got white but wanted the Ocean burst. There were some inconsistencies in which guitars were made in South Korea. There are some description changes in the past year that made me wonder what is happening with production.

Going from acoustic to electric guitar feels like a steep learning curve with learning electronic components. I am YouTube'd out and a bit lost on some things.

Of course, I plan to continue searching and reading on the forum

Amp - I am ordering a Roland Micro GXW 3 for now. No gigs just playing at home for now. Eyeballing the Boss Katana Artists.

Strap - Need to buy a second strap. Suggestions for portly folks?

Security - Still trying to decide what kind of strap locks to get. Should I wait until the guitar arrives?

Cords - I have been looking all over the place for the jack size and am probably missing the obvious. Where can I find this information?

Set up - I did not have to set up my acoustic mostly because I change tuning and the action needs to be a little higher in standard or I'd have buzz in alternate tuning. How do I know if something is off and needs adjustment if I have never played electric before?

Thanks for being here!

2. tomringg

tomringg Well-Known Member

3. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

eyo, welcome. jack is standard 1/4"/6.35mm.

tonray likes this.

4. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

The best advice I can give is to not follow anything Scott Grove says in YouTube..

5. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

The beauty is, these days you need not spend a lot of money, but if you have a little extra, man you can get cool stuff!
    Fortunately you started with the white guitar. This is proper and prudent choice at your level, and I hope it pleases you when it arrives.
    As you gradually progress, just like in the martial arts, your hard work will earn you NGDs at levels yellow, orange, blue, green, purple etc...
    until you find yourself like most AGF Guitar Arts Practitioners at the coveted Black guitar. Don't even think about spalt yet. That's guitar ninja shit.

Your straps need not match your guitar. You can start with Black, nobody will call you on it. Unfortunately, I don't make those because... boring.
    I can feel your infectious enthusiasm in your post, and welcome to AGF. There is a wealth of real and true knowledge in this community. TK, I myself am but a lowly yellow belt guitarist, and have fading hopes of aspiring higher, but that is due to laziness in training, my own fault.

Oh and honour and respect the guitar masters of this Dojo, Listen to their words and tones. They will help guide you on your guitar journey.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    manco53, toomanycats, MattS and 3 others like this.
  6. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!
    You went straight to the top with a 3200! Nice!

I think the inconsistencies you are referring to came with an “experimental” run or two of Agile guitars that were manufactured in Vietnam. For the most part, Agiles have been crafted in South Korea in the past, and I believe all current production is back there again now. The Vietnam experiment did not seem to last very long.

Hey, remember, Scott Grove preferred the SX Liquid over his Explorer in a head to head test. Maybe we can listen to just a little of what he says! ;) (Full disclosure.. I’m actually a Scott Grove fan. I bought ALL of his lessons. They are good! :sunglasses:

Jaymo and DonM like this.
  7. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Welcome and as Buddy said some Agiles were made in Vietnam for 1 or 2 small runs to test manufacturing there. That was 2015-16. I have one as does another forum member excellent guitars. Don't know of inconsistencies other than Kurt's description at times. Several years back the 3100 and 3200 were thinned down fro 1 15/16 to 1 3/4 I think. Occasional blemishes in finish or binding occur Kurt will do you right if that happens. If you're interested in background material on the Agile AL series here's the perfect thread. http://www.aguitarforum.com/threads/the-history-of-the-agile-al-the-first-four-years.84840/

8. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great guitar choice!
    Maybe your buddy could look it over for you for set up?

It is very easy once you understand what is going on.
    Watch some Youtube vids.

Assuming the nut is cut okay, and nothing needs any type of fixing; high or uneven frets, etc., it is just a matter of raising or lowering each side of the bridge, and dialing the neck relief (slight forward bow of the neck) with the truss rod.

Some folks measure, which I did at first but never do; just by vision, sound, and feel.

Here is the method I use, as gleaned from the interwebs:

"Biddlin's Foolproof Setup Method:
    This subject has to be pinned somewhere.
    Thanks Biddlin.

Begin by setting the bridge height for frets 17-21(2) so that the strings play buzz free at the lowest possible height.

Start with low E. Lower the bass side until it buzzes, raise until clear. Check A and D raise slightly if needed to get clean notes. Then do the treble side. If you bend notes up here, try a few typical bends, to make sure they don't buzz out.

When all strings play clean go to the lower frets and neck relief. Play the high E string from fret 1 to fret 16, increasing relief (loosening trussrod) to relieve buzz or decreasing relief (tightening trussrod) to lower the string height. So tighten, by fractional turns, until it buzzes and back off until it doesn't. If you bend strings , do your typical bends to insure they don't buzz out. Once satisfied, check the other strings and make small adjustments as needed.

Once you have acceptable relief, i.e. no buzz and easy action, set your intonation and you're done.

This is the opposite order of most setup directions. It is based on performance and not measurements, hence, I don't take any. It works because the neck is immobile between frets 17 and 22. The trussrod only affects lower frets. By setting the upper end first, you know any buzzes are coming from too little relief. This method works for most guitars, with truss rods."

mighty_duck and MattS like this.
  9. OpenG

OpenG Active Member

That micro Cube amp is a good choice. You'll be using that amp even after you get bigger amps.

You can use rubber washers to slip over the strap posts and hold the strap on to the guitar. The rubber washers may be purchased at a hardware store.

10. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I get mine here:
    I dont mind the red color, and they come with free beer.
    I could use a few more, thanks for reminding me!
    [​IMG]

Chocol8, toomanycats and glasshand like this.
  11. glasshand

glasshand Well-Known Member

12. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

This is a good plan generally.

But for me, my bread and butter is 5-9 frets, and this method could produce higher action than necessary over there. I prefer to get as straight a neck as possible (checked by holding down the string on the first fret and ~17th fret, and seeing how far the string is above the 9th fret. I like it to *almost* touch, where there is barely any daylight between the string and fret, and you only know it's not touching by pushing down on it). Then I'll raise/lower bridge to remove buzzing.

tobijohn likes this.
  13. mighty_duck

mighty_duck Well-Known Member

First off, welcome aboard!
    Umm, what?
    If you like Ocean burst, get the ocean burst. There are no inconsistencies between that and the white, they are both made in South Korea side by side in the same factory, and have identical specs.

Rondo is notorious for copy pasting and having some strange descriptions on some listings, but the guitars themselves are more consistent than the website.

The micro cube was also my first amp (albeit an older generation). I still have it hanging around.
    That said - if battery operation and size aren't critical for you, I'd go with a different amp for the money. It is overpriced at $159, and while the overdriven tones are nice, the cleaner it gets the less I like it.
    A Katana 50 is only a few Shekels more, and puts you in a whole different ballpark, both in overall tone, options, sound quality, and ability to get louder if you need it.

You can always get a set up at your local shop, or have the friend with the electrics help you out.
    But even a poor setup on an electric is much easier to play than an acoustic, so you should be fine even without it. Then experiment little by little to find your comfortable spot - which is different for every player.

14. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Love me some Grolsch, its a great summer beer!

15. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I was just suggesting strap locks, but now that you mention it.....:rolleyes: hehe

If I was buying my first amp it would be a Katana 50 or maybe Fender Mustang something.
    but dont get all down the rabbit hole on all the settings and patches.

a Monoprice or other simple 5w all tube amp is also worth considering, as well as a hybrid like the orange Micro Terror or Micro Dark + speaker cab. Depends on the style you want to play, - how much clean headroom you want.

16. TeeKay

TeeKay New Member

17. TeeKay

TeeKay New Member

Thanks you for the Welcome! I was hoping that was standard was the case. There are some details that I still can't find - maybe due to my electric guitar ignorance.

18. TeeKay

TeeKay New Member

Ohhh THAT is his name!! Thank you for the advice. I will be sure to stay faaaarrrrr away from this guy!

19. TeeKay

TeeKay New Member

I appreciate your accurate summation of my predicted AGF journey. I came to the same conclusion last night after getting my email saying it was being shipped. I went back to look more on Rondo and I said something like "I guess am going to be one of those people - now I understand". It makes perfect sense to have different guitars - depends on my mood - a bit like shoes flips or Doc Martens. It isn't just the notes and volume.

Thanks for the welcome!

The sword is taken to sever the fading side of hope!

Good Dojo's are hard to find. I have been lurking a few places just reading publicly and decided to join here.

20. TeeKay

TeeKay New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

I did. When purchased my acoustic I paid too much for comfort. I know a lot more than knew then.

I saw something about the website not being consistent. I was specifically looking for "Made In South Korea" on the models and didn't understand why colors made a difference in where it was being made. The FAQ say all made there but the descriptions says is sometimes and other times not.

As far as Scott Grove, I have seen a few of his videos over the years. I need to get the basics down and decide if I wan't to learn a style. I have my own kind of style with acoustic but haven't decided how I want to approach electrical. I am a pretty in all the boxes kind of person - I like music as long as it doesn't give me a migraine. Migraine music could be anything from classical to house - just depends on my brain and if injury can process it or not.