Best Affordable Amp Sim?

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by helsinkirocks, Apr 21, 2020.

1. helsinkirocks

helsinkirocks Well-Known Member

I've been looking to get a better amp lately, but I also want to do more recording, so I've been thinking of switching over to an amp sim. I primarily use Reaper for all my recording, so I want one that works easily with Reaper.

Keep in mind I'm pretty much a total n00b when it comes to the intricacies and in-depths of using reaper, but I can do lots of basic stuff with it. I've never used an amp sim before either, so I will have a high learning curve. I'm also currently using a zoom multi-fx unit as my interface, but I had been planning on buying a Scarlett at some point.

My initial thought was Guitar Rig, as it seems to be pretty popular and pretty capable. I primarily play metal, in the Pantera / Metallica vein, as well as hardcore punk.

Any opinions on whats out there as far as a good mix of quality / user patches / affordability?

Thanks.

Mikesr1963 likes this.
  2. helsinkirocks

3. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I use Ampire which came with Presonus Studio 1. It is okay Nothing like the real thing.

4. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Just got Bias FX2 recently as a consolation prize for the Spark being so slow. It's impressive.

5. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

I recently got bias Fx2 and bias amps. I got fx free because of the spark fiasco but I think amps only cost like 40 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MichaelR likes this.
  6. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've just run the demo and it seemed pretty good, I think ill try the standard version which at $59 isn't to hard on my budget. I imagine I could upgrade if I feel the need later. I also run Reaper although I'm not particularly skilled with it.

7. Mikesr1963

Mikesr1963 Well-Known Member

Check this guy's channel out on Youtube. Glenn's different and his main thing is recording metal. On his channel he does weekly videos on how to do stuff, best gear, and the best gear for the buck. Gives out info for free amp sims etc. If metal's your thing Glenn's a good source.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-f76NUQN5M-Z0cd0MOP5xw

helsinkirocks likes this.
  8. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

I use Amplitube and it's not affordable and it's not good for metal but it's the best sim for cleans and crunchy rock/blues sounds

But today I would buy Plini by Neural dsp. Easily the best I've played for both rock and metal, and not that expensive either. Not that complex though...but sounds really really good.

doc-knapp likes this.
  9. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

How much do you want to spend? What are you running on?
    There are plenty out there that sound amazing. Some very cheap and some not. Some are CPU/RAM intensive, some are better.

BIAS is great
    Helix Desktop is great
    Neural stuff is great too, albeit a bit of a CPU hog (I use the NOLLY Archetype which is a bit "ballsier" than the Plini one although the Plini one is really good.
    You could try ML Soundlab Amped roots, its free and pretty flexible if you play with the gain https://ml-sound-lab.com/products/amped-roots

10. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Nolly is certainly great for extreme metal, but for me it has way too much gain. I don't really use much gain at all, ever...because I don't shred. My few leads are always bluesy wails at best. Even with the band, it's mostly just clean amp with an overdrive at like 1/4 setting. Of modern amp sims I find it really hard to find ones that don't have gain like a beehive starting from almost at zero setting. If I turn the gain on them almost completely off, they sound like DI guitar, no warmth or crunch, and even I even touch the gain knob, it's like woooossshhh immense gain already.

Plini is one that can really do clean that starts to crumble naturally when driven or picked hard. Even in Plini I can't use the 3rd gainiest amp at all, just the first one and the second one. But if gain is what you're after then Nolly is indeed top tier. Me, I don't know what to do with that kind of gain. In a perfect sound I could get from just about totally clean when I play with neck pup gently, to raging drive when I use the bridge pup and pick the strings really really hard for leads.

Apropos, I wonder if it could be possible to program an amp sim that would detect which strings you play at what fret and adjust the sound on the fly automatically? I mean it would literally use like a clean-ish Marshall 2203 sound for frets 1-5 and alter its gain dynamically for each picked string too, and use a different amp and sound for notes picked higher up, like, I dunno, a 5150 model for notes played past 12th fret and so on, except for E and A strings....that'd be huge to be able to vary the sound according to where you play on the fretboard!

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

11. helsinkirocks

Hey all, thanks for the input and feedback.

I ultimately ended up going for Amplitube. I got the free versions and bought a couple packs that were on sale (Mesa, Metal, and Dimebag Darrell collections). Think it sounds pretty good, but I've only messed with presets so far. Haven't had the time to go for a full custom sound, but I'm liking what I have heard so far.

Any suggestions for a good free/cheap/etc drum program or plugin? I'll have a midi controller soon.

12. deeaa

deeaa Well-Known Member

Hard to beat EZDrummer...there are better/more real sounding ones but those require a LOT of tweaking and mixing while EZD is very good as is. I use GrooveAgent in Cubase myself though as it comes with it and is very nice too, and in some larger projects friend's Steven Slate Drums which are superbly realistic.

There are some really cool free ones as well, and like $5 drumkits, check out MT Power Drums and Ugritone for instance.

Sent from my ASUS_X00TD using Tapatalk

13. matt linnemann

matt linnemann New Member

I'm not a huge fan of amp sims, but I think they are getting somewhere sound-wise and this one is pretty legit in my opinion....and it's FREE

14. doc-knapp

doc-knapp Well-Known Member

Neural DSP has the best software amp sims. I prefer to go with hardware because as mentioned, it can eat up a lot of your CPU and if you're into writing songs with lots of tracks, it all adds up rather quickly in the CPU.
    What happened with the Spark? I saw it advertised for the last few months, but what was the fiasco that I missed? I've been kind of out of the loop for the last few weeks. Still recovering from Covid and my lungs still haven't gotten back to normal. I get shortness of breath now walking up two flights of stairs.

matt linnemann likes this.
  15. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

there was some movement on the spark, at least my february order was updated to an "in transit" status as of 5/13. the next status is "local distribution" and then "shipped" after that so it's still go a while to go. i think i did see some other people had gotten theirs though who placed their orders in late 2019.

16. matt linnemann

matt linnemann New Member

Did you get tested? Yeah I tried the Plini plugin from neaural dsp and it was pretty great.