Beware Of Reverb.com

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Perfect Stranger, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

My biggest issue now with Reverb is everyone wants a big discount.

3. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Reverb is looking pretty sunny for me, just sold 3k worth of Gibson LPs (2) on Super Bowl Sunday, and a Strymon Flint a week prior. Received Preferred Seller status yesterday. If you price your gear fairly and ignore the low ballers it’s all good.

So far....

Gergo likes this.

4. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Total BS. Reverb is one of the very best companies out there with exceptional customer service. Anytime I've had any issue they've resolved it for me quickly and efficiently. This guy Jeremy is a self proclaimed "professional guitar flipper", someone who just buys and resells guitars for profit all day. Reverb is perfectly fine to use as a buyer and a seller, but it makes sense when you sell as much as he does you're going to run into some crazies same as you would anywhere else.

There's no need to "beware of Reverb", Reverb is awesome...this is just something that comes with the territory when you buy and sell a ton of gear.

This comment I just found that someone wrote under this Youtube video (to which he replied "touché") sums it up nicely:

"You sold 400 guitars in 3 years with 5 returns, albeit within a short amount of time. Those are great percentages and all in the cost of doing business."

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    RiverDog, cybermgk, tonray and 10 others like this.
  5. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I use Reverb a lot and am mostly pleased with it. Keep in mind that it's a marketplace, and you are still at the mercy of individual buyers and sellers. I had that one item I bought that wasn't as described and I've twice given partial refunds. Not a bad record given the approximately 100 transactions I've had over the almost three years I've used the site.

RockYoWorld, Gergo and fullonshred like this.
  6. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

The guy on the video states quite clearly he sells guitars that have issues. Well even if you are quite clear regarding the issue folks don't always pay attention. I have parted several guitars because of "issues" knowing full well that someone would give me a hard time. The guy needs to buy and sell guitars that are in better condition. EZ-PeeZee!

7. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

I have zero gripes with Reverb. Have been very successful with them over a few years.

Gergo likes this.
  8. Perfect Stranger

I don't care for Reverb...and don't use them. I don't think the video is the only Bullshit in this thread.
    Jeez, the guy said several times that he loved Reverb, God knows why, but he does. His complaint
    was with the buyers and sellers and I've had similar situations. You can sit here all day long BS'ing
    this or that......but when you've been on the shitty end of their non-existent customer service you'll
    be one of the first to be crying like a little bitch.

Do you ACTUALLY think this is the only guy guy that has had problems with Reverb. Hilarious....

9. msc_

msc_ Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is my biggest issue as well. Specifically the post-sale discounts (refunds). No matter how good an item is, I can expect someone to find something wrong and ask for a partial refund - usually around the cost of return shipping. I'm all for resolving issues, but it seems like asking for a partial refund has become another tool to get a better deal.

10. Perfect Stranger

11. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

I didnt waste time to watch, but I'd say more wise to beware of FedEx, UPS, USPS.

Reverb though they burned me once, did take care of me every other time I've had any issues, and buyers have been uniformly great

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mozz and idiotsdelight like this.
  12. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

I think the answer here is to keep all of your guitars. Problem solved!

RiverDog, minpind, jam and 9 others like this.
  13. pirate19

pirate19 Well-Known Member

I don't understand the hostility. You post a video of one guy's view of Reverb (a view that you evidently share), and when people say they haven't had an issue, they are "ranting like [they're] the be all end all authority," are guilty of displaying "pure egotistical bullshit," are bullshitting, and are dumbasses? That escalated quickly. Why bother posting on a forum if you're going to get upset that people don't share your view?

I had never heard of the guy in the video until I saw his "I'm quitting Reverb" video come up on my feed. He has some good content, but he is--by his own admission--a flipper. As Slowhand already commented, as a flipper you're going to run into issues with buyers when you're selling 400+ guitars.

I know that people have had bad experiences with Reverb. That hasn't been my experience--I love Reverb--but I get that nothing is perfect. If you don't like lowballers on Reverb, good luck with OfferUp/CL/LetGo. At some point, all that's left is eBay and GC Used.

14. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Count me in with those who have had no issues with Reverb. I sell a fair amount through the service, and I fully expect that sooner or later I'm going to run into someone who wants a refund. I have a plan for that, and it's worked into my business model. I'm not going to pitch a fit when it happens.

Anytime I see someone complaining about customer service I wonder how the complaining party has treated the customer or service they're upset about. Lord knows that when I've worked with the general public I have put rude people through every possible hassle and red tape at my disposal. How do I know this dude didn't call up Reverb screaming?

RockYoWorld, Gergo, tobijohn and 2 others like this.
  15. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

People complain about anything it seems. Reverb is hands down the best "managed" gear exchange out there IMHO. Lower fees, decent shipping discounts, lots of traffic on the site, etc. Certainly some of the people who buy and sell there are douchebags, but that's not a reverb problem- it's a people problem.

Believer, mark_morton, mozz and 7 others like this.
  16. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

I feel ashamed but I, too, have had only good experiences on Reverb. I'm sorry, please don't yell at me. :sneaky:

17. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This has sold 400 count em 400 guitars, many with known issues, over 3 years and has had 5 returns which as it happens have been in the last 6 months or so. I'm sorry but that is one hell of a good run, what is he crying about!
    I'm planning on selling an amp and several guitars in the next few months and I will definitely be using Reverb.com.
    I should also mention that I have sold several guitars already on Reverb. One was a vintage strat that was made in the late sixty's. When it arrived it appeared to have taken a bump and so had cracks in the skunk stripe on the neck. Long story short I kept the money the buyer was also reimbursed and Reverb kept the guitar. They told me they would repair it and resell it however I think someone at Reverb wanted it for themselves which was fine with me.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Believer, slowhand84, Gergo and 2 others like this.
  18. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Only bought 3 things from Reverb , only issue with any of them was the USPS not scanning the incoming package. This led me to question the seller as to when it would ship. No info from USPS until it was delivered. Brad's reverb store will get me going back if nothing else does.

Believer likes this.
  19. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone here is denying that there are some awful buyers and sellers on Reverb. I think we’re just saying it is the best marketplace currently available. Better than eBay. Wider audience than Craigslist and Facebook marketplace with less scammers. My prices as a seller account for the fact that I’ll eventually get a buyer who will do something naughty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Believer and RockYoWorld like this.
  20. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member