NAD Blackface Princeton Reverb

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by manco53, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Just when my Princeton GAS abated you post this. Congrats on getting a deal on a classic.

manco53 likes this.
  2. Pilipete_Townshend

Pilipete_Townshend Well-Known Member

This is my only on-the-go band practice amp. Been using this orange for a year now and I tried gigging it like 3 times. In my opinion its smaller for the magnitude that I played the last time. Its very surprising that I bought this amp for Ive always played the old marshalls and sticked to it. Now since I'm looking for a 30 watt amp, I'm torn between the marshall (since they don't make the sound the way they use to) or the orange TH30. I have a greenback speaker and I tempted to swap it, but its only 25 watts and I may need a bit more power since the bass player has a 4-10 svt..:hearteyecat:

SAM_9722.JPG

SAM_9724.JPG

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    manco53 likes this.
  3. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I have a weber silver-bell ceramic which is very bell like. But the 12a125-a is not. Its much warmer, has nice edge of breakup. I have the 30w and 20w.

In that Weber Princeton speaker link there are two suggestions with differing cones. One suggests more breakup. I've never used either.
    I dont play through greenbacks enough. I have one, but tend to use my G12H Heritage given that choice.
    I should try my greenback more.

manco53 likes this.

4. Pilipete_Townshend

Pilipete_Townshend Well-Known Member

... Not to hi-jack the thread, doesn't weber build amps too? I could have sworn there was a guy that I jammed with a while back and he told me he's got a deluxe reverb or princeton reverb remake by weber. I thought that amp sounds really good....

manco53 likes this.
  5. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

manco53 likes this.
  6. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

I have that exact amp (fawn)! Mine came with a celestion gold 10 which was too tight (shrill?) for my liking so, with help from the forum members, I bought a cannibus rex. I dig it.

Now for the bad news: the tubes went out yesterday and the music shop is pretty much shuttered because of covid. I'm friends with the owner so I might be able to drop it off.

I have never biased an amp but nature's balance is out of order so I'm peeking at some YouTube clips. Do I dare try it?
    • It's my baby
    • It was expensive
    • I can envision an electrocution scenario or (worse yet),
    • I damage the amp.
    I push it pretty hard. I have a Dr. Z Brake Lite which allows me to do so. Not bedroom levels at all, but just enough to let 'r run hot without being too obnoxious.

Note: It takes pedals very well, but I feel guilty using them when the amp has such a revered tone of its own. The break-up is nice but not quite as much as I'd like. Will a particular set of tubes nudge it a little in that direction.

This amp kills when warmed up and pushed. I mic it at gigs and it's delicious through the mains. Still, a schoce more dirt would be cool.

I dig the tones this fella's getting...

This post was all over the place.

andrewsrea, fullonshred and manco53 like this.
  7. Beyer160

Beyer160 Well-Known Member

Give this page a read-

https://robrobinette.com/How_to_Bias_a_Tube_Amp.htm

When you get to the end, you'll either be thinking "I can totally do this", or "I don't understand ANY of that!" Just remember- safety first, and if you're at all hesitant, discretion is the better part of valor. Better to wait and pay somebody to do it right than to light yourself up and have to go to the hospital these days.

jtcnj, manco53 and tlarson58 like this.
  8. Mickey

Mickey Guest

@tlarson58 There is no bias pot in a Blackface Fender Princeton Reverb.
    Sorta hard to explain without getting more technical than you really want to hear. :)
    http://tone-lizard.com/princeton-bias/

In summary: Take it to an amp tech. :)
    (There are much easier/better amps to learn on.)

tlarson58 and manco53 like this.
  9. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

With all of the various Fender amps out there, black face, silver face, tweed, it’s exhausting and something I really couldn’t pinpoint as to what I was looking for.

About a year ago I was going to do a deal on a silver face Princeton up around @STACKS hood in the great state of VT, but pulled away because I think I found out I really wanted the blackface instead. Who knows? I’m still not too sure of the differences. But either way, I’m happy with this little beauty. I was interested in this amp or a Deluxe, and probably would have been happy either way. Maybe down the line I’ll find a Deluxe to grab as well and see what the differences are myself.

If anyone more knowledgeable than me could give a good, intimate rundown of the tonal differences between the blackface and silverface models, it would be an interesting read!

STACKS likes this.
  10. Beyer160

Beyer160 Well-Known Member

The major change between the blackface and silverface eras was the conversion to ultralinear ouput transformers in the late '70s. The goal of this was to make the amps louder and cleaner- to my ear they don't sound as good, in the same way a JC120 doesn't sound as good as a blackface Twin. You can tell if an amp is UL by the output rating on the back- the ULs have more power (a non-UL Twin puts out 100w, an UL does 135w). Here's the kicker, though- the smaller amps (Champ, Princeton, Deluxe) never got the ultralinear treatment, and the silverfaces are very close to the blackface era circuit. There were a few changes, but they were minor and easily reversible if you want. I have a 1980 Deluxe Reverb, the last of the silverface line (even though they went back to black faceplates), and it sounds more or less like a classic blackface Deluxe.... certainly more so than a 1980 Twin would have sounded like its blackface predecessor. At first I was planning on "blackfacing" it, but after playing it a while I realized it sounded great and I had better things to do with my time.

As to the Princeton/Deluxe thing, they're like brothers- they're both great amps and they have some similarities, but also some important differences. The 10' speaker in the Princeton means it'll fart out badly if you crank it up without dialing down the bass pretty significantly. The Deluxe will sound "fuller" in pretty much all scenarios owing to its bigger speaker and OT, but that's not always what the doctor ordered. The trem on the two amps is designed differently- I'm not a trem aficionado, but they do sound different. The reverb should be about the same, but I haven't compared them side-by-side.

tomringg and manco53 like this.
  11. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

So right! I fixed tons from the 1950's amps to today's reissues. During the Leo days (Tweed, Brown, Blonde & Blackface), there was overlap when a new 'model' was issues. He'd use up parts until they were gone and then change over. The CBS era, many amps were changed (mostly the big ones) and some stayed the same, at least circuit wise. But they all changed over from cloth covered wire to a cheap plastic coated wire, which had less capacitance and were there for brighter than the pre-CBS. Even the reissues have nuances of their own.

You just have to play them and find the one you like!

manco53 likes this.