Bluesbreaker Extravaganza: Joyo Blue Rain + 18 Watt Brit Tube Amp + "beano" + Clapton Licks

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by toomanycats, Mar 13, 2018.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

This is a demo of the Joyo Blue Rain, which is supposedly a clone of the Marshall Bluesbreaker pedal. I bought this pedal used from @needhelp last week and it arrived in the mail yesterday. Thanks again Tommy for the killer deal. (y)

I've only played around with this thing for a day, but I can tell you already that I like it big time. It's very smooth and transparent. You really hear the sound of the guitar. It's definitely not a high gain pedal for metal and such, but rather a tool for achieving blues and classic rock tones. Pick sensitivity and pleasing harmonics are about as good as any overdrive I've ever tried.

I knew up front that this pedal was a mini, but damn is this thing diminutive. One of the pics below is a comparison of the Blue Rain to a Rowin Chorus, which is what I typically think of as a mini pedal, along with a standard sized BOSS unit.

Surprisingly, I have no problems getting my short fat fingers on the miniature knobs. The lid is a genius idea too, as it allows you to set those little knobs exactly the way you want them and keep them in place.

For the sound demo I set all four of the knobs on the pedal at 12 o'clock. There's lots of tonal options to explore, but I figured I'd just provide a simple baseline. I first play a short lead line with the pedal disengaged, then with it engaged, so you can hear the difference. Then I do the same with a G13 chord, after which I run part way through my interpretation of a little tune some of you may recognize.

I'm playing my Gibson 1960 Custom Shop Les Paul Standard. It's more or less a "Beano" without being the actual Gibson Clapton signature model, which costs significantly more. They sure do charge a premium for a guitar with Eric's name on it. To keep with the "Bluesbreaker" theme of the pedal, guitar, and tune, I also used an 18 watt hand wired Marshall type amp, my 65 Amps London. Ahhhh . . . sniff the cork. :grin:

fullsizeoutput_6e1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6e3.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6e4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6e5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_6e6.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  2. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Sounds great, that's a killer looking LP too.

Mr. Leyvatone and toomanycats like this.
  3. toomanycats

Not a pawn shop find. LOL. Paid full retail. That guitar was worth every friggin' penny. :)

jimytheassassin likes this.

4. uwmcscott

Is it an R0 plaintop or an actual "les paul Standard" Custom Shop reissue? It's always hard to keep track of what is what with Gibson's custom shop offerings over the years. There is also a "1960 reissue" NON custom shop model floating around out there too just to make things even more confusing.

5. toomanycats

It's a G0, sold exclusively by Guitar Center. Bought this one in 2006. Model number is LPR-0.

uwmcscott likes this.
  6. uwmcscott

Ah yes, MF and GC have had a lot of those "exclusive" runs over the years. I have a 2012 Gold-top "les paul deluxe reissue" which was a MF/GC exclusive. Interestingly it's not even close to being a correct reissue though because it has a mahog neck ( deluxes had maple ) and it has a new fangled Neutrik locking input jack.

Either way, beautiful guitar and nice playing too.

toomanycats likes this.
  7. toomanycats

Waiting for some smart aleck to say, "Yeah, but let's hear how it sounds playing 'Eruption'." ;)

8. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

Mmm Marshally (y)

toomanycats likes this.
  9. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was supposed to go look at a 1992 Gibson classic, which was one of the first 60' reissues, more true reissue than other models. Guy was asking $1300, i should call him back.
    c2f5c4c7e8c7aaf8b8fb21291090d059.jpeg

PsychoCid and toomanycats like this.
  10. toomanycats

Mine doesn't have the pointers on the knobs. It does have vintage wiring, Bumble Bee capacitors and all. I believe hide glue was used on the neck joint. There's some very substantial bleeding of the dye on the cherry stained mahogany into the binding, which is supposed to be more authentic. Pickups are Burstbucker 1 (neck) and 2 (Bridge). This LP snaps like a single coil in the neck position.

I've talked about this Gibson on the forum in the past, but to surmise: I bought it at Guitar Center on 14th Street in Manhattan in 2006. If you've ever been there then you'll know that there's a large wall with, I don't know, maybe a hundred Les Pauls hanging on it. I walked in that day with a fat wad of cash in hand, knowing that I wasn't leaving the store without the best Les Paul they had. Well, this was the one. It demolished everything else I played in terms of feel, tone, and overall vibe. This one is really special.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  11. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

The influences of EVH and "eruption" are clearly evident...ha ha

12. toomanycats

Here's the EVH version. ;) :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

13. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Heh, I don't see any relevance to Eruption beyond that these were the last two guys who played a "rock n roll" shuffle or swing instead of a straight rock backbeat.

But that IS the highest gain, shreddiest, slippery bendiest recording I've ever heard from you or your amp! That was a pretty convincing mixed bag of Eddie hors d'oeuvres, and the first one right off the bat was impressive. Not a common sound.

At any rate, I think it's pretty clear how large an impact Eric had on a small amount of people. It's unfortunate that the vast majority of humanity in pa existence hasn't and won't know his name.

But as long as we look primarily at Americans and Englishman who came of age mid-20th century, it's a smash.

manco53 and toomanycats like this.
  14. uwmcscott

If you dont call please pass on his number :)

mozz, viccortes285 and PsychoCid like this.
  15. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

You should! That's a smokin' price for an early 90's Classic, that one looks like it's in great shape.

Your guitar is awesome @toomanycats, I'm jealous. I saw that BD-2 in one pic and was thinking you were gonna do a compare. I ordered a DOD Gunslinger, looking forward to checking out and seeing how it works for me compared to my BD-2. I'm not a huge pedal guy but figured I'd try it out for $29.

I expect to see a cat cameo in your posts and you didn't let me down? So who's he?

toomanycats likes this.
  16. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

Love the tone and licks. It is a solid line of pedals that I use for recording and an occasional practice when I don't want to bring my amp. The amp modeling pedals are basically DI boxes so I simply run a 1/4 cable to the PA. I really like the Blue Rain, but I already had a Bluesbreaker clone. I didn't do my homework

I never made it sound that good.

toomanycats likes this.
  17. toomanycats

Thanks Cid, kind words.

Not to sound boastful or anything, but Eddie is easy for me to do. I don't just mean this about myself, but for anyone who started playing guitar in the early 80s and was seriously dedicated to developing hard rock chops. That was just the bar, the minimum level of technical competence you needed to have to even be in a cover band that played the popular rock/metal songs of the day and expected the lead guitarist to perform them note-for-note. The musical vocabulary that Eddie invented had to be at your your fingertips, like the way a clarinetists in a Big Band of the 40s had to be able to rip it in that style, or a hard bop jazz player in the 50s had to be able to riff like Coltrane. I could record EVH style stuff all day long for ya, but I feel like I'm in a different phase as a player right now, returning not just to the roots of Eddie, which is Clapton, but to the roots of Clapton, meaning the three Kings, Buddy Guy, and other seminal electric blues players.

There's an old Latin expression, "Ad fonts," which means literally "returning to the sources," but which is often used in an artistic/literary sense to express a return to origins, to the primal font and inspiration of a thing. That's the trip I'm on right now. :)

I'm a big fan of the BOSS BD-2. Some people compare the Blue Rain to the BD-2, but I don't find them too similar. It's worthwhile having both. If I have time I'll do a side by side comparison of the two.

The cat is Bonnie Prince Charles, though we just call him Bonnie, or Bon Bon. He's pretty much the king of the house.

The Blue Rain is my third Joyo pedal. My other two are the Vintage Overdrive and the Dyna Compressor.

Which of Joyo's amp modeling pedals do you like the best?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Razzle likes this.
  18. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

(cat for scale)

toomanycats likes this.
  19. toomanycats

Cat for "sale" you say? I never had to pay for any of mine. Plenty of free ones around. ;)

PsychoCid, Believer and voodoorat like this.
  20. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

I have the Fender (clean glass) and the Marshall (golden something). The Marshall is as good as any boutique I have bought and the Fender is superb. I do most of my recording with them because my micing efforts are lame.

The other joyo ironman pedals I have are the delay and reverb. This line is built for home use and is a fantastic value.

Clips soon.

voodoorat and toomanycats like this.