Bluesy, Countyish, Classic Rock

Discussion in 'Jam Room' started by toomanycats, Aug 12, 2018 at 6:16 PM.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

This is the forth original composition by Donna Gant that we have collaborated on. I believe this lady is a great undiscovered talent. She definitely inspires my playing and musical creativity.

I'm playing an American Strat with Van Zandt pickups through a Peavey JSX Mini Colossal. The amp was run through a Celestion Vintage 30 and mic'd with an Audio-Technica AT2020.

The bass is a 2002 Squier P-bass run direct with a Logic model called "60s finger style."

I'm still in the process of tweaking the mix. I may even re-track some guitar parts and have Donna punch a couple of the vocals the next time she comes over. Input on the tune, mix, performance, and so on is welcome and encouraged. I count on the critical ears of this forum.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 6:19 AM
    Narsh and BrianSkeezer like this.
  2. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

Over-driven county twang is great. The vibrato distracts from the song.*

This is great bare-bones, but I would like to hear it anthem style.

*Edit. That was blunt. I am typing one-handed while eating pizza.

toomanycats likes this.
  3. doc-knapp

doc-knapp Well-Known Member

I agree. The bones of a truly great song are here. The arrangement and vocals need to be redone. This should be a blues rock anthem style song. The vocals need more grit and balls behind them instead of soft country. The song is screaming for a blues rock lead, too. I see it more of developing similar to a "She Talks To Angels" vibe by the Black Crowes.
    I absolutely love the lyrics. Like I said, the bones of a great song are there. You just need to dig a little.

Fat Jack and toomanycats like this.

4. cottonmike

cottonmike Active Member

Hey Brother, here's me back again to comment on this exciting collaboration with Donna. I definitely had some clear impressions and hopefully maybe a really positive vision.

Here we go:

You know I loved the first song. I do like this song very much as well, but I think it is placing you at a cross road that is inevitable.

I feel the arrangement falls into what I classify country music of today. That is "rock and roll country". I would suggest to take this back to where today's country was born out-to "Country Rock". The lyrics are great, but are coming from a sad, reflective place. The mood of the words is somber, but to deliver them in a vehicle that is upbeat with some edginess is a formula I have always loved. Kind of like the blues that are uplifting and joyous.

In it I hear a great guitarist that is being restrained. Take a solo break that starts out sweet and pretty, then take it right on the edge of nastiness.

Kind of take the attitude of "yes, these things are sad, and they did happen to me, but-I'M BACK! I'm walking through the pain with a determination". To use the experience to turn it all around to a positive motivation.

I really believe that one day soon a good young band is going to come along and re invent country rock. To put a intentional barrier between itself and today's country.

Again, Yours and Donna's song has great "bones".

viccortes285 and toomanycats like this.
  5. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Almost there I'm hearing something that could stand to be a bit Marshall Tuckerish if that make sense. She has the vocal licks for it and the bones are there.

toomanycats likes this.
  6. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

My critiques will come as no surprise I'm sure ;)
    The lead vocal as good as it is, is too loud.
    The guitar vibrato is cool, but maybe dial it back a bit.
    Try to convince her to harmonize the "ooohs" instead of doubling. Doubling stuff like that HAS to be dead perfect, otherwise it sounds out of tune, a harmony will fix that (provided she hits the note obviously).

Otherwise, really good stuff.

nomadh, toomanycats and viccortes285 like this.
  7. SalteeDog

SalteeDog Well-Known Member

Good song. As you said some parts need a bit of re-tracking.

I'm thinking the licks need you to channel more or your inner Keith Richards/Mick Taylor :)

And do you have a lap steel perchance?

8. toomanycats

This is the first edit taking cues from some of the suggestions here. It's definitely more "anthemic," which @needhelp will appreciate. I pulled back the vocal, as per @RedLesPaul's advice. Most noticeably, a Les Paul has been added to beef things up. It's amazing how adding just that one instrument gives the track more power and forcefulness.

Thanks so much everyone for the feedback. This is going to be a work in progress.

needhelp, nomadh and BrianSkeezer like this.
  9. SalteeDog

That's much better alright. Not sure about the oooh ooh ladeedeeda bit at the end though - maybe that melodic line needs to be reflected in a guitar line...perhaps run into a solo? Either way its a major improvement over the first draft.

10. toomanycats

Thanks.

I was thinking Mick Taylor era Stones when I was working on this. Recently I've become fascinated by the country sounding rock of Gram Parsons, who had that Stones connection too.

Unfortunately I do not have a lap steel. Didn't Page play one a good bit on ZEP III?

11. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

This is more on target but now I think the acoustic is too buried when the lp drops out. I'd bump it up or double track.

12. SalteeDog

There is so much brilliant music to be had following the path that Gram shone a light on....

toomanycats likes this.
  13. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

Liking it. Alot.

14. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

I like it better

toomanycats likes this.
  15. doc-knapp

doc-knapp Well-Known Member

Definitely better. I want more of a pronounced snare drum. It's a little too subtle and covered up in the mix.

toomanycats likes this.
  16. SalteeDog

Here's a great reference for a Stonesy sound with a strong female vocalist. Might give you some more ideas for the mix. Failing that, it's a superb song in it's own right. Ignore the dull visuals.

toomanycats likes this.