NAD Boss Katana 100w 2x12

Discussion in 'Player's Tips' started by Hoser, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

This fall/winter I was having a period where all my old favorite amps were crapping out on me and decided instead of wasting time and money of several projects to just invest in something new (I'll get around to fixing all the old stuff, just wanted an excuse to buy something new).
    I started doing research and reading reviews and the new Boss Katsna amps kept poping up on my radar. Wasnt even thinking solid state at the time. Thought it might have been alot of hype. I read every review and watched every youtube video and was greatly impressed at what I saw and heard. Wasnt a type of amp I would have considered. But the range of what it could do amazed me, and the price was right.
    I ruled out the 50w, then was down to the 1 12 or 2 12....ended up with the 2 12.
    I ordered it from sweetwater, and as usual service was top notch. I held onto the box because I was unsure of this amp, but within a few hours of trying it out and seeing the depth and range of sounds I was getting, I knew this was the right amp for me.
    Seriously, the hype about these amps is legitimate, the cleans are spectacular and this range of grit and dirt you can push this to is amazing. I thought I wouldnt even be interested in the built in effects but they are just amazing, it really is like have a boss pedal board in front of you. This amp has actually inspired me and opened up a load more possibilities to my playing. I'm just blown away at how much you can get out of such a small package. If you guys have not tried one of these I highly recommend you do yourself a favor and check em out.

Rokdog, tlarson58, AnotherJim and 4 others like this.
  2. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

Bump

3. devdem

devdem Well-Known Member

I keep hearing positive reviews of these. It's only a matter of time before I get my hands on one, though I have a collection of tube amps taking up a lot of space at the moment.

4. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

It's a lot of amp for low price. I was tempted by the artist series, but this model is amazing

5. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have the 100 112 and I love it to, I doubt ill be needing another amp, congrats my friend.

6. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

It is on my hit list to try. HNAD!

7. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

Congrats!

I got my 100w 1x12 after seeing multiple dudes in Nashville using them on stage. That opened my ears.

It has legit tone, and the fx are a plus. I mostly think of it as a clean pedal platform. But I gigged it at least once and used the onboard fx to emulate the trem/clean tone on You Oughta Know. You can’t have every effect on your pedalboard, so it’s nice to have the onboard stuff for the rarest fx.

Jealous of the 2x12. My only gripe is that it would be nice if it moved more air. The 2x12 should easily accomplish that.

8. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

I played through one at a semi-recent store visit and...well, lots of companies have tried something similar but it never really sounded...good.

Those other.companies weren't Boss.

HNAD.

9. Hoser

Hoser Well-Known Member

exactly, I thought they were all hype until I tried one, then I was just blown away. Its light years ahead of any company!

10. AxeGlove

AxeGlove Well-Known Member

I've had a Kat MK1 Head and 2x12 Cab for a year now. Killer.

Load up Tone Studio to really dig into it. There's a FB group that is astounding as well with over 12K members WORLDWIDE: https://www.facebook.com/groups/boss.katana/