Brand New To Wiring

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Owen Blackwell, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Owen Blackwell

Owen Blackwell New Member

I'm a thirteen-year-old guitarist looking for a bit of help. Back in August, I bought an Ibanez Gio with the intentions for it to be a project guitar. I've gotten as far as painting the body but when I took it apart, I didn't take photos of the wiring and I need a bit of help wiring it all back together. I would really appreciate some help. Thanks.
    ae309c357d3e58e310e8bff10abc30d1._.jpg
    a5fe8e4e410726d4eb26476e65a83847._.jpg

dbrian66 and Manodano like this.
  2. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

There are schematics on the Seymour Duncan website. It’a a pretty good resource for wiring diagrams.

Be aware that not all pickup manufacturers color code their pickup leads the same way.

dbrian66, RiverDog and CyFan4036 like this.
  3. redman

redman Member Supporting Member+

Maybe one of these will help

dbrian66 likes this.

4. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Looks good to me so far. Rrobbone sent in you in the right direction - there are good pictorial diagrams on the site. You can do it! Don't feel bad if you don't get it perfect the first time - I never do. If one of the pots operates in reverse or the switch is backwards, chalk it up to experience. that's how you learn.

When you get it wired up, and before you string it up, check your work by plugging into an amp, and checking the operation of the controls while tapping on the pickups with a screwdriver. If you hit a snag, post here, one of us will help you. You can PM me if you get stuck, but posting will get you an answer quicker. Good luck!

5. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

What kind of pickup configuration?

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Based on his pics of the wiring, looks like a pair of humbuckers. :)

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. Owen Blackwell

Yeah, it's a pair of humbuckers.

dbrian66 likes this.
  8. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Welcome Owen - what brand of humbuckers?

9. Owen Blackwell

-andrewsrea
    They're just the stock ibanez humbuckers that the guitar came with. Other than that, I'm not too sure what information I would be able to give out. I just remember finding this guitar on facebook marketplace for roughly $40. They didn't give me any more information than just that.

howardlo65 likes this.
  10. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

For each pickup lead: Shrink wrap tubing or wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the red and white wires, wrap the green and bare wires together and solder them to their respective volume pots (looks like the one closest to the outside edge of the cavity is the bridge), solder the black lead to the left side lug (looking straight down) of the three lugs on the respective volume pot....

11. andrewsrea

I was afraid you were going to say that. Over the years Ibanez used a couple of color schemes. @tobijohn 's instructions ar good, but the colors may be wrong.

'Red' always seems to be the 'hot' slug coil start in their color coding. Solder that to one of the left (#3) lug of the volume pot, which also has a lead to the tone pot soldered to it. Note it is not the #1 lug which should be soldered to the back of the pot as a ground.

'Black' is typically the slug coil finish and 'White' the polepiece coil finish. Solder these together and wrap with some paper tape or shrink wrap.

'Blue' is the polepiece coil start. This is sometimes 'Green'. Solder that to the back of the volume pot.

Solder a lead from the middle volume lug (lug #2) of the bridge volume to one of the outside lugs (i.e.: not the center lug) of the toggle switch. Solder repeat for the neck volume, except solder to the other outside toggle lug.

Solder a lead from the center toggle to the 'tip' of the output jack. This is the lug that is sandwiched in the middle.

Solder a lead from the back of a volume pot to the 'sleeve' of the jack. This is the lug that sits on top of the last wafer of the jack, when looking at it from the 'inside.'

Make sure all the volume pots shells have a lead connecting them. You may want to watch a few videos on proper soldering. Keep your soldering iron tip clean.

Contact me if a pickup sounds weak on its own or when the two pickups are selected.

I was doing this stuff at your age, all day long. So, you got this!

12. tobijohn

Much better instructions than mine, I completely neglected the toggle and jack wiring. I assumed the red/white went together because in the picture provided, you can see that they're already twirled around each other. It's also entirely possible that the green is the live wire and not the black, I was just playing the odds on that...

andrewsrea likes this.
  13. andrewsrea

Yep - your instructions were spot on if these were Duncan, Gibson and a few others.

14. Mickey

The way y'all wire pickups makes me cringe! Les Paul wiring drives me nuts!
    I hate it when I turn the volume down on one pickup and BOTH die!

I always "repair" any that I get that are wired that way by going to "Gretsch" wiring.
    (The hot side of the pickups go to the MIDDLE lug of its volume pot and the pickup switch goes to the outside (not ground) lug.)
    :)

I hope that does not confuse Owen.

15. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

The downside is you lose high frequencies when you use the volume pots. A Gretsch can usually afford the loss better than a Les Paul.

tobijohn and Mickey like this.
  16. andrewsrea

All about preference, isn't it? No right or wrong - just different.

Except for my Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe and my 3 pickup SG which are both wired 'Gretsch', my pickups are wired like 50's Gibson. Wiring 'Gretsch' changes the inductance of the pickup when you turn the volume down, which I can hear like @Chocol8 said.

17. Mickey

Absolutely! I never meant to imply nor infer there was a right/wrong here, merely a matter of preference. :)
    Just that the volume controls interacting with one another is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

andrewsrea likes this.
  18. tobijohn

I don't like the way the tone controls on almost every lefty guitar other than Gibsons acts as an on/off switch. That's because almost all of them use A250K/500K audio and B250K/500K linear pots wired backwards so that on a lefty, you turn the knobs counter-clockwise to increase volume and tone. It's not so pronounced on linear pots (usually used for volume) but it's very apparent on audio pots (usually used for tone). While there are reverse audio pots out there (C500K), I find it easier and cheaper just to reverse the wiring so like a right-handed guitar, the knobs are turned clockwise to increase (just about every lefty other than Epiphone comes with right-handed knobs anyway). While I'm in there, I usually go with 50s style wiring too as I don't like the tone dropping when the volume is turned down...

andrewsrea and Mickey like this.
  19. Owen Blackwell

While I do appreciate all of your guys' help, earlier today I decided to go out and buy some 22 gauge wire and just re-wired it myself. Again, thank you all for helping me through this mess of a project.

andrewsrea likes this.
  20. tobijohn

Great, does everything work the way it's supposed to?