Brand New To Wiring

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Owen Blackwell, Oct 11, 2019.

1. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Member

tobijohn and Mickey like this.
  2. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Attached Files:

RiverDog and Mickey like this.
  3. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Thanks. :)

4. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Well-Known Member

This video helps to explain a way to test with a multimeter if you have a pickup that you can't remember where the leads go and which one is what.

andrewsrea and tobijohn like this.
  5. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I subscribe to 'Intotheblues' (Shane) on youtube, who is a lefty. Watching his use of the volume knob, I'd say he also uses the A250K or A500K pots and just got used to using them lefty.

6. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow alot of work went into that PDF. You would think that at some point all the winders would come up with one standard code wouldn't you.

Mickey, tobijohn and RiverDog like this.
  7. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.

tobijohn likes this.
  8. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

On wire codes. If doesn't matter if you have the color codes, because you can figure it you for yourself. Yes, really:

Pickups - What wire does what?

If you've ever bought or been given a pickup and wanted to know how it should be connected, this tip should help. I will explain the process for a single coil but the SAME principle applies to HBs. If it is a 2 wire you will do it for the pickup as a whole, for a 4 wire HB you should do each coil separately.

Tools needed: multimeter (MM) that can read DC, screwdriver (metal).

1. First, connect the MM across the leads in resistance mode to make sure that you have a complete coil (this might be especially important for 4 wire HBs).

2. Connect the MM across the coil leads in DC mode (if you have to set the sensitivity, some MMs do this automatically go for the most sensitive setting).

3. Tap the coil with the screwdriver. Actually, it is not really necessary to touch it, but you must bring the metal of the screwdriver within the coil's field. When you do this, the meter will jump either positively or negatively. When you remove the screwdriver from the field, the meter should jump in the opposite direction.

4. Record the color leads connected to the + side of the voltmeter and the - side. Call the lead connected to the + side of the meter when the voltmeter jumps + the positive side of the coil. Actually, I may have + and - reversed here, but it really doesn't matter ALL THAT MATTERS is that all the pickups you install get installed the SAME WAY. On 2 wire pups, however, if one of the leads is a shield, call that the - lead (shields should always go to ground).

5. Repeat for every other coil/pickup. If the next coil/pickup makes the needle jump negative when you touch it with the screwdriver, then whatever lead you have connected to the - side of the voltmeter is the + lead for that coil/pickup.

When you are done you will know the + and - side of each coil/pickup. In order to make sure what you are installing is in phase with what is already in your guitar, check it too.

I didn't invent this, I got it from a book. But it has made me NEVER have to guess how to wire a pickup!

MichaelR and tobijohn like this.
  9. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I knew dat! ;)