Can I get a "Hells Yeah" for guitar pr0n?

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by tvvoodoo, Apr 18, 2013.

1. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Neckbolt Guitars, supplemental - mod edition:

20180521_091320.jpg

20180521_091432.jpg

20180521_091327.jpg

This is the only one of my guitars that has a name: "Bean & Cheese." It's a Squier Affinity Precision bass, 4 string. It's been through it all, the only instrument I've ever gigged regularly. I took up bass to help out the worship band at church and it spread to filling in at the local School of Rock. From there, it seemed everyone needed a bassist - until I moved to Utah. I can't find any decent bands to even jam with here, much less join - with either bass or vox... But I digress...

The bass was made in 1998 in China - in the Yako factory according to the serial number. It started out as a "Bass Pak" bought by my brother, who only touched it once - to pull it out of the box. He eventually gave it to me. It was originally red with a white pickguard, but I gave it the antique white/black makeover. The patina is about 50% genuine and 50% induced. Yes, I played this ugly thing in church - often while wearing black t-shirts adorned with the type of unreadable metal band logos that look like dead trees during Halloween, what of it?

Also, everyone knows that stickers improve tone.

I reworked the internals, replacing them with quality components. I kept the same schematic intact. Other mods include: Tusq graphite nut, neck sanded to wood, and a Hipshot bass extender. It's outfitted with EB Cobalt strings, and those combined with a slightly heavier gauge means it's character really stands out in a mix and also repeatedly rips up my hands something awful if I don't keep up practice. Rounding out the mods are a set of WellHung ProPins strap buttons holding onto an example of my favorite series of Brad's straps - the Shock and Awe.

Somewhere in my shop there's a box with an expensive new pickup set and an even more expensive new high mass bridge. They were intended for this bass, but I can't bring myself to swap the parts for fear I'll change the mojo somehow. Silly, huh? I'll put the new parts on a Neckbolt build someday.

This bass is an almost total piece of shit, but it sets up well and stays in perfect intonation and tune. I almost never need to give it any adjustment, it's just spot on... always.

This guitar was the one that convinced me to pick up and play a guitar before making a judgement based on perceived value or headstock logo. It's a much better bass than it's humble beginnings would lead one to believe. It is the one instrument I reach for more often than any other, oftentimes I just mindlessly plinking out a bassline while watching a ball game.

tvvoodoo and BrianSkeezer like this.
  2. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Great look. I was wondering if there are air pockets under the caps? If not how did you get or keep the air out? Do you think it would matter in any way aside from weight?

rrobbone likes this.
  3. rrobbone

I used some Elmer's wood filler to put some material in the hollows of the caps. It makes no difference what material is used there, you just need something to glue or weigh the caps down so they don't move or float when the resin is poured. Another plus for using wood filler is that I can sand it flat. As long as it doesn't cause bubbles to form in the resin and they caps will lay properly, you're good. I wanted something solid, but that wouldn't add even more weight. Guitars made from resin tend to weigh a bit so I like to keep from using more of it than I have to.

As far as tone is concerned, we're dealing with a thin sheet of plastic formed to the wood. I don't think the material inside the caps would make any difference one way or the other. The resin is a dense material, and as such it tends to brighten up a guitar's tone. It's similar to what a maple cap would do, only with a different tonal characteristic. I warn my customers that they can expect to have to re-jigger their amp settings to compensate, but I've never had any complaints. My Dean with resin and tin signs phattens up quite nicely, and I know that there are some hollow spaces trapped under the metal implants in that guitar.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    tvvoodoo likes this.

4. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Holy crap. Some of the names in here.

manicmike
    slave has been MIA since heading to NC.

jam likes this.
  5. rrobbone

2018 Schecter Sun Valley Shredder FR/S

20180210_142514.jpg

20180210_142524.jpg

20180210_142531.jpg

20180210_142540.jpg

Korean made, super nice guitar. I love playing around with weird effects in conjunction with the Sustainer. I was really unsure about keeping the EMG pickup, but I've since learned how to dial it in a little better. I might change it still someday. I'm in a small fight with the Floyd Rose Special to keep it tuned and intonated properly. I have never had such difficulty with stability before. I may get tired of dicking with it and swap it for a Gotoh ge1996t with a high mass block eventually.

A word about Schecter: two of the tuning machines let go and stripped out completely very shortly after I received the guitar. I contacted my Sweetwater guy, and replacement tuners showed up (addressed from Schecter) before Sweetwater answered my email about them. I'll buy another Schecter someday because of being treated so well.

manco53 likes this.
  6. hath74

hath74 Member

9f0dd6cff7645a74e7bffc30cf13f85b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idiotsdelight likes this.