Cannabis And Emotions

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by manco53, Feb 12, 2018.

1. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

After about a 4 month stretch of everyday cannabis use, I’ve cut back significantly since 1/1. I think daily use increases whatever psychoses (is that a word??) that I may have. I also feel like I get a bit more detached from my emotions, and it puts me in my head more than a healthy balance of head and heart. Whereas I can typically be a bit headier than heart oriented anyways, I’m not sure if it’s the best thing, for me at least.

YMMV

Rokdog likes this.
  2. manco53

Smoke weed everyday? Bump

despiadado likes this.
  3. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

2nd thread on this subject on 2 different guitar forums in 1 week.

I notice my friends that are heavy smokers can be pretty irritable. Some shouldn't smoke altogether, but far be it for me to tell them what they should/shouldn't be up to. I did that once just because after spending a weekend racing with him he needed a slap. I couldn't believe how stupid the shit made him. We ran out of gas in his exhaust leaking car was the final straw. I felt lucky to make it home.

I look at it as dessert on occasion. I enjoy being productive & exercising too much. Last thing i'd want to do is elevate my heart rate stoned.

despiadado, manco53 and tonray like this.

4. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Moderation in all things! I have no problems with Mj nor with those who use it. That being said unless you have a medical issue which requires daily use I believe that the best way to use any drug and yes this includes alcohol is once in a while. That way I enjoy it more and it doesn't cause me problems.

Ed Henry, DonM, sloopdawg and 3 others like this.
  5. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

I've been around the addiction/recovery community for many years. Everyone is different but the rule of thumb I follow is that if something feels like a problem to YOU, it probably is. And if you have a solution that works to solve those problems, keep doing it.

Ed Henry, dmitri, MichaelR and 5 others like this.
  6. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

As others have said, it’s hard to paint with broad strokes when categorizing how people react to a substance, even if consumed in excess.

And I also echo the sentiment that it’s important to self-regulate to ensure a hobby doesn’t become an addiction and lead to badness in one’s life.

I think alcohol gives us a good corollary in that many react differently to it.

I personally like to drink when I do anything social. Many would define that as unhealthy. Yet I don’t drink alone at home and I don’t fabricate social events purely an excuse for a drink.

I think MJ is safer, in general. But I’ve known people to overdo it. Nothing psychotic resulted, but it essentially went from a fun thing to a sedative.

minpind and manco53 like this.
  7. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

hey buddy,
    it's time to figure out why you "think" you need to self-medicate so often..
    perhaps try edibles

buddy.jpg

change.jpg

needhelp and manco53 like this.
  8. Aullucci

Aullucci Well-Known Member

I agree that context is everything and moderation is important. I like to have a beer while cooking dinner and most nights I do. I probably have a drink 5-6 nights a week, but I don't think it's a problem. If you like to smoke weed (or eat edibles or whatever) every day, I don't really have a problem with that as long as you're taking care of your shit. If you're on your couch at the end of the day and that's how you choose to unwind, what do I care? But if you smoke first thing in the morning, keep going all day long, and somehow can never remember to buy more cat food, there's a problem.

needhelp, Gergo, minpind and 2 others like this.
  9. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

Maybe it’s a Sativa vs Indica thing?

DonM, Gergo, minpind and 4 others like this.
  10. despiadado

despiadado Well-Known Member

I haven't been smoking much this past year (but moreso than the prior two years) and I feel alright. Like previously said, everything in moderation, try new strains, and try CBD if accessible :)

manco53 likes this.
  11. Spudman

Spudman Well-Known Member

I think if you are having issues then you need to try a different strain like nrussell asks. I don't do it every day, but more medicinally: pain mitigation, depression or anxiety mitigation, as situations require. It never gives me mental issues at all. I use a variety of strains in each family (Indica - Sativa) for any particular issue.

I don't know about every day use, but maybe your quantity is too high? One hit at a time is all I require for it to be effective. I don't abuse it and never really do it just to get buzzed.

12. Ron H

Ron H Member

I've heard that one can develop tolerance issues with a particular strain. IDK if that's true though. "Tolerance breaks" seem to help if you think you are developing one.
    It may be helpful to try one of those little "one hitter" pipes as a control measure. It's too easy to overdo it with some of the other methods. Of course you can overdo it with anything if you want to. I've also heard that once you reach a certain point, it doesn't keep getting nicer, but may make some negatives worse. Know your limits.

despiadado, manco53 and Mr. Leyvatone like this.
  13. nrussell23

nrussell23 Mr. Crown Royal Staff Member

What about trying extracts (wax, oil, live resin)?

despiadado and manco53 like this.
  14. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Well-Known Member

I quit smoking 10 years ago after smoking since I was 15 years old. I'm now 60 and can't imagine why I worked so hard and spent so much money destroying my lungs. Mind-altering effects notwithstanding, setting leaves on fire and inhaling the smoke is extremely bad for you and WILL catch up to you. If you must imbibe, eat it. No thanks necessary. :)

tonray, Ron H and manco53 like this.
  15. Ron H

Ron H Member

Thanks anyway. You're right. When you're young, you are invincible. It's only when it's getting to be too late that you start to "get it". You're smoking creosote basically. Probably not nearly as much as cigarette smokers get, though, unless you use a lot.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  16. Ron H

Ron H Member

They have a place, mostly for those that can't tolerate smoke. But it's still the THC that seems to cause many of the problems when there are problems, and those alternatives are largely THC concentrates.

However, it is a decent alternative for medical users to try who can't smoke for whatever reason, like a family member of mine.

manco53 likes this.
  17. Ron H

Ron H Member

I love the cat food thing. Now that's hitting bottom IMO:cryingcat:

manco53 likes this.
  18. despiadado

despiadado Well-Known Member

I've never been sure about that either. I personally prefer indicas, but when smoking socially, friends and I usually smoke the two main strains and hybrids as well. Maybe that's why I wouldn't know lol

minpind, Rokdog and manco53 like this.
  19. manco53

I’ve been mostly going with sativas or hybrids. Via the vape pen.

despiadado, nrussell23 and Rokdog like this.
  20. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

I've always found pot to just amplify the emotions that you are already having....but that's just me.

despiadado, manco53 and minpind like this.