Checked Out Some Acoustics Today - Breedlove And Fender

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Tiga, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

My daughter and I stopped at GC today to check out some things (she's all into ukulele's). While there I got to play a USA Breenlove Concert Moonlight and the new Fender Malibu. I've never played an american made breedlove before. I must say I was smitten. What a wonderful feel, playability and tone.

I've never been much of a fan of Fender Acoustics, even their Paramount series. However the Malibu was actually pretty decent. The one I played was an off white color. I think I would have like it more if I didn't play the sweet Breedlove right before LOL.

Any Breedlove fans out there?

jamdogg, t-glo and Ed Henry like this.
  2. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Breedlove bump

3. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Breedloves have been showing up at the open mic. Sam Ash has a half a wall of them.

Tiga likes this.

4. Dennis

Dennis Well-Known Member

I've had my Stage Concert for 4 years and play it just about daily. I was really holding out to find a deal on a used USA made Breedlove but when this one popped up and after I played it I had to take her home.

I've been to the Breedlove factory here in Oregon (Bend), what a class bunch of people. And the guitars, they handed me several to play but I could never justify a $3-$4000 guitar. Sorry to say they don't let you tour anymore.

When I decided on a Breedlove I had played all of the other brands and while they all were nice in the price range ($800-$1200) I kept going back the BL. The neck fits my hand like a glove and as you stated, the tone and residence was sweet to my old ears.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Tiga likes this.
  5. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I was real impressed with the tone port model years ago but I've been looking recenly mostly at martin and taylor. Been trying to find something than could talk me down from them. So far breedlove just isn't in the running for me. I'm wondering if that metal brace inside really hampers the vol and tone.

6. wankeenobi

wankeenobi Well-Known Member

Aesthetically, I never liked the Strat headstock on Fender acoustics.

howardlo65 and Tiga like this.
  7. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

Me either. To me the Fender acoustics just had that mass produced import acoustic feel that so many brands have - even their paramount series didn't grab me. Lot's of bling and beautiful finishes - but $700? No way.

The Malibu I tried was $399, the headstock seemed fine on that model to me - maybe because it matched the body color.

8. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

I own three brands of steel string acoustic guitars:
    Gibson, Martin & Eastman.
    Nothing sings like a good J-45 or D-28 !!!
    Eastman is head and shoulders better than any import guitar I have met
    with most being a copy of either a Gibson or Martin acoustic for a lot less money.

Never met a Taylor I could spend money on thanks to the trademark Taylor sound:
    flooby bass, muddy mids and JANGLY trebles. :)

howardlo65 likes this.
  9. Dennis

Dennis Well-Known Member

I just found out that the CE Breedlove's are now built in China. Doubt if there is much of a difference between the MIC and the ones that were MIK but I feel better that mine came out of the Korean plant.

Not sure what brace you're talking about. The rear top brace in mine is a wood brace.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    nomadh likes this.
  10. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I've never met a Fender acoustic that I liked, and they've never really had a great reputation in that regard, but I hear the new ones are pretty good. I might check them out.

I've always liked Breedlove guitars. Even the imports... I almost bought one several years ago, but I have a problem when it comes to buying acoustic guitars in that I haven't found one yet that I like better than the acoustic I already have (a 30+ year old Yamaha, which I've owned for almost 20 years). Even the 'high-end' acoustics I've tried don't quite measure up.

They may be nicer, and prettier, and even play as well, but they're always missing something that my beat up old Yamaha has in tone and 'voice'.

I guess that's actually the opposite of a 'problem', really... :)

Dennis likes this.
  11. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

I love Yamaha's. IMO no more bang for the buck. They're like the Chevy you loved except with better consistency. Yamaha has advanced R&D and has a good handle on what the consumer is looking for. I want something dependable that I won't freak over if it gets knocked off the stand at a gig. I own 6.They have the same neck so I'm totally comfortable at ANY gig.
    3c23.jpg Burger Steve 01.JPG BWAYsTEVE SM3c.jpg Red Yam.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  12. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

They call it the bridge truss. I was sure I saw a picture with it in metal but all I see now is with a wooden dowel. Seems a very clever way to limit acoustic belly bulge but I think it makes things feel and sound stiff now when I play them compared to taylor and some martins. It may also be I'm not trying upmarket enough in the BL catalog.

13. t-glo

t-glo Well-Known Member

The first Breedlove I played was 2600 bucks but had fantastic tone and loud bass that I fell in love with. But 2600 for 1 guitar????? I think not.

Dennis likes this.
  14. doc-knapp

doc-knapp Well-Known Member

I own A Breedlove concert acoustic. It's my favorite acoustic. Makes my Fender acoustic look like a cheap Kmart guitar. Give Breedlove a chance. They're fantastic. Another option on the inexpensive side is Seagull.

stevebway, Tiga and Dennis like this.
  15. doc-knapp

doc-knapp Well-Known Member

I bought a Harley Benton acoustic when Harley's were the craze a while back. Another piece of shit.

stevebway and Dennis like this.
  16. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Funny you mention Eastman - those guitars are sleepers. I played this one - an absolute cannon! Very surprised. Seems pricey to me though.

https://manchestermusicmill.com/eastman-ac520-dreadnought-acoustic-guitar-natural/

bbaa724f27a68c4a1891e38978a3eec8.jpg

stevebway, Mossman and Dennis like this.
  17. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

wow...

stevebway and Dennis like this.
  18. Mossman

Yeah!

When I bought my Yamaha, I tried every acoustic in every store in the greater Indianapolis area, and couldn't find anything that sparked my interest. The last store I went to was a little mom and pop shop, and the Yamaha was literally the last guitar in the store I hadn't tried (I didn't want a Yamaha. My previous acoustic was a Takamine and I didn't care for it, so I was looking for something a step above that) but when I played it, it just made my jaw drop. It's sweet and chimey, and articulate, and it booms like a cannon too (when I played in an all acoustic band, I wasn't allowed to use a pick during rehearsal because the Yammajamma was drowning everyone out!) and it has the action of an electric. In fact, I had to ask the owner to raise the action a little when I bought it. He said he was a nut for low action.

It cost $350 used in 2000, which was only about half the money I had planned to spend, and I've been playing it ever since.

Tiga and stevebway like this.
  19. Mossman

stevebway likes this.
  20. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

I used to own a US made Breedlove Atlas Stage. I was a great guitar. It played well and sounded good. It was heavy for an acoustic. These days I prefer the Yamaha acoustics as they're a fantastic value.