Dcw Pedals - Agf Free Pedal Christmas Party! Winners Announced!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snare227, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Snare227

Snare227 Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    I've enjoyed reading AGF all year long and as a thank you to everyone for their wisdom and entertainment, I'd like to host an "AGF Christmas Party". I did one here last year and also on TGP and I really enjoyed reading the stories and checking out the pictures, so I thought we could do it again. Participate in this thread and fulfill BOTH listed requirements and you are entered to win a free pedal. Enter by midnight(EST) on Christmas and the winners will be announced shortly after.

What Do We Win?
    - One winner will be selected at random by yours truly and they will win the pedal of their choice.
    - A second winner will be selected by you, the members of AGF. The member with the most "LIKES" on their post will win a "Mystery Stocking" with a surprise pedal. One LIKE equals one vote.

How Do I Enter?
    REQUIREMENT ONE: Go to my website listed below and pick out your favorite pedal and put the name in your post. Tell me what you want to win, it's that simple!

www.DCWPedals.com

REQUIREMENT TWO: Post something that is Christmas themed that you think other people coming into this thread might get a kick out of. It could be a story about how you got your first guitar for Christmas when you were 15, a picture of your house or tree lit up in lights, a crazy family tradition, a YouTube clip of you or your favorite artist playing a Christmas song, an old snapshot of when you were a kid at Christmas, a funny happening at a family/work gathering.... there are no strict guidelines here, just be creative with it and interact with the community. If you don't celebrate Christmas or can't stand the holiday season, I do ask that you keep it positive. "I love eggnog" is perfectly acceptable and you don't have to mean it. :)

So that's it! Just post the pedal of your choice and some form of Christmas based story or entertainment in this thread and you are entered to win. Be sure to let other AGF members know, so that more people add to the thread. If everyone chimes in, it makes for a better read, and comments about other's posts are encouraged. Just have fun with it and don't forget to vote for other's posts. I hope you all have a great holiday season and a Merry Christmas!

Dustin Wagoner

2. Snare227

3. Eicca

Eicca Well-Known Member

I want a Tomahawk Distortion!!

So I will now jam “Rock The Halls” for you:

Vote for Rock The Halls!!

4. MrM0964

MrM0964 Well-Known Member

8299ab5c14e6cd76aefd5956d6764d21._.jpg

I want that Hands of Time delay

As far as a Christmas story, let's just say that before I was married I took advantage of being wheelchair bound on many Christmas Eve nights with my brother at certain gentleman's establishments

7febcb2bf326532aafb83bed9900f342.jpg

5. Bullitt4030

Bullitt4030 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I want the Woodsman Deluxe!
    4e3bd70ceb42d7e5958c6f34fce07db3.jpeg
    Our local theater screened A Christmas Story a few weeks ago. It was pretty cool getting to see one of my favorite x-mas movies on the big screen! Also it originally was released before I was born so there's that too...

sabasgr68 and Snare227 like this.
  6. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

I'm keen on the Muskrat Distortion.

My brothers and I have a longstanding tradition of building a snowman in my parents front yard during the Christmas season.

We always build the snowman after dark in one single evening to give the effect of "magically" appearing the next morning. This Frosty has a car tire and a five gallon bucket for a hat and an orange bowling pin for a nose. We've been accused of having a tree stump up the center, which is not true. There's also been a rumor circulating that the town barn assists with a dump truck and backhoe, which is also false. We have developed some ingenious building methods over the years, which I'm sworn to not divulge. Mostly though it involves strenuous physical labor, Budweiser, bourbon, pizza and wings, and Journey's Captured album played on a loop . . . though I've probably said too much already.

You could say he draws attention. We've made it in the paper more times than I can count. In the week before Christmas cars are often lined down the block at a slow crawl going past the house, cameras flashing. I've seen a school bus stop and disgorge thirty kids into the front yard for a photo op. There have been proposals in front of him. And then there's what you might call the negative reactions. Every cat and dog in the neighborhood has an irresistible compulsion to "mark" Frosty. Drunk teens and college kids sometimes try to vandalize him at night, but to no avail; it's like attacking a snow bank. Frosty is easy to repair.

By Spring the last remnants of Frosty is usually the last bit of snow in town. Mom will go into the front yard, retrieve the last remaining pile of snow, and put it in the freezer. Next Christmas we start the first ball of the new Frosty with that snow.

I'm on the right, my brother is on the left, and the two young ladies are my nieces.
    07 snowman Tom, Teagan, Alex, John copy.jpg

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  7. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

I would gladly take any of those fine pedals, but I'm sure there are others that more deserving than I.

TRUE STORY THAT HAPPENED TO ME AT CHRISTMAS A YEAR OR TWO AGO:
    PLEASE STAY SAFE THIS HOLIDAY

SOMEONE DIED LAST NIGHT. Just around the corner from my house. I saw the patrol car's light flashing, the policeman stoically directing traffic around the car accident. I watched those flashing lights for a long time....they were just outside the window by my computer. And as I watched those I thought about a lot of things:

I thought about that terrible call we all dread coming, even though it's possible at any given time. I thought about the person/s that won't be there this Christmas. I thought about the Christmas tears that will be shed, and the heart-wrenching questions "why"..."why now"...."why them".....that will forever go unanswered. I thought about the dreams that will never be realized, and hopes that will never have a chance to happen. The ruined lives, the broken lives, the living angels in the dark, just out of sight of the flashing lights, trying to pick up the pieces of these crazy lives we live.

Finding a reason, assigning fault, won't make the hurt any less. Won't make the hearts unbroken. Such a sad part of life.....here and then gone. I was reminded of a lyric from a Jason Isbell song which goes "One thing that's sure to me, is no one dies with dignity". Could that be true. Sure seems true sometimes. Other times....not so much.

Finally, the flashing lights were turned off, the policeman left and went to his next emergency, the living angels picked up their tools and packed them away. The traffic was allowed to continue on it's way. Be careful....remember someone loves you and wants you to come home, think of the ones that won't.....and remember -

SOMEONE DIED LAST NIGHT!

MattS, AxeGlove, Tsukiyomi and 3 others like this.
  8. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

bearclaw fuzz plz!
    17815a514840afd9666902200f27a3c3._.jpg

my wife is in full christmas movie watching mode. she's got a good list going to keep us busy for a while (christmas vacation, a christmas story, home alone, elf...etc.). my favorite christmas movie is die hard, but i digress

saturday night we decided to watch It's a Wonderful Life. we streamed it via amazon prime video, and were surprised when we realized it was a colorized version of the film. it was kinda trippy to watch it "in color" as opposed to the classic black and white presentation i'd been so used to (i've seen the movie many times). my brain never really accepted it. i mentioned it to my bandmates at our practice last night, and they both had fairly strong reactions along the lines of: "well that doesn't seem like it would work..." or "that doesn't seem right". kind of interesting how some films benefit from black and white presentation, whether it be by artistic decision or technical limitation. despite being born and growing up in an age of color, it would seem i and at least some of my peers would agree some things are better left in their original form.

what do you think?

4a0dd86e5b78f7a8eedcecd29209d4da.jpg

79af21cf738f47205c5fe96b5eaa6e0b.png

MattS, sabasgr68, nomadh and 2 others like this.
  9. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

a67f4b8494da1b4b9e8dba591bea35ae._.jpg

Appreciate you doing this again, Dustin!

I love this time of year as folks get a little more kinder and my job has a paid 10 day break and things really slow down. Unlike time off during the rest of the year - no flood of emails and work piled up! Time with the family and guitars!

My favorite Christmas thoughts are those when my kids, wife and I were young. Working hard to make it special for them, seeing my kids overwhelmed in the surreal. I inherited that from my parents who with little means, worked very hard to make it a time where the extended family would converse and sing together.

Merry Christmas & a wonderful holiday all!

MattS, sabasgr68, jamdogg and 3 others like this.
  10. DominicC

DominicC Well-Known Member

e505a89f6070c3222b6841c53c5fe668._.jpg

For the past 3 years, my wife and I, and our friends and family, have been doing something special for others who have gone through rough times. Our way of paying if forward around the holidays. We were interviewed for the local news last week:

mighty_duck, MattS, AxeGlove and 11 others like this.
  11. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

MattS, adad, jamdogg and 2 others like this.
  12. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I think I would like to see it in color but it would be a horrible thing if the original wasnt equally available.

Or more.

zisme likes this.
  13. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Thank you Dustin, you are a Top Shelf fellow.

As much as I would like to own a DCW original pedal, it would be asinine for me to enter as I haven't played in ages and have no idea if or when I might play again.

I will share a simple story just to be a part of this thread. Probably way too long but not sure how to pare it down. TLDNR - Two old buddies reconnect on a Christmas Night.

By God's Grace I became sober in 1984 and haven't had a desire to drink or get high since. Along the way of attending recovery meetings I met a young man who was just getting started when I was around 3 years sober. He was struggling and I reached out to him and we became friends. One thing that drew us together was a shared love of music. He still has the largest collection of Vinyl I have ever witnessed for a non-dealer.

Over the years our friendship grew and we each helped the other out thru different things at various times, and we both stayed sober. Then around 15 years ago he moved to Texas to let his wife live closer to her family. They divorced not long after, but he remained in Texas.

We stayed in touch but not like when he lived locally. But he would usually return to see his Mom around Christmas time, and we would hang out and hit local meetings like the good old days. This particular year Christmas Night fell on a Friday and we decided to catch up at a meeting that had been an old favorite for both of us.

We arrived at the church about 10 minutes before the meeting was due to start, and saw no one was there. The door was unlocked so even though this was not our home group, we went in, started up the coffee pot, put out the literature and made ready for a meeting for anyone who showed up. No one else arrived. So my dear friend and I shared in reading all the "opening" literature just like we had the normal 15-20 people there.

And then we sat in this comfortable room, in two fine old wing back chairs and recalled the many wonderful people we had known in years gone by who had attended that particular meeting and played a part in our journeys of recovery. We could almost feel their spirits there with us though many had passed away. The Spirit and Comradeship that filled the room was amazing considering it was just us two, and the ghosts of those long passed.

We recounted funny stories about them and about ourselves, and at the end of the hour we closed the meeting with the Lord's Prayer, as is normal in this area. We cleaned up just as if we were home members of that group, made sure all was well and then went our separate ways back to our families.

To this day we both still agree it is our favorite meeting out of the thousands we have each attended through the years.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    RiverDog, MattS, nomadh and 6 others like this.
  14. Snare227

Over 500 views and less than ten entries. Odds are pretty good for winning! Thanks to those who have shared!

backinit and fullonshred like this.
  15. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Wow this is a blast from the past! Cool of you to do this - very generous of you.

Last year I wanted the Hands of Time delay - but as fate would have it I didn't win - but did win a killer delay pedal from Floridian FX a bit later on. So this time around, I would say without a doubt the Sunrise pedal is right up my alley - especially after hearing it through the Bassman, as I have a '59 RI. I really lean towards the lower gain stuff, and that demo sounds fantastic to my ears.

Tsukiyomi, sabasgr68 and Snare227 like this.
  16. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    Thanks for doing this, it is a very kind gesture.
    I would like Santa to bring me a Hands of Time delay.
    Or I would I like to win one here.

I dont have an interesting story, but a contrast.
    The last few years have not been so good, for a variety of family related issues I / we had to deal with, including the death of a very close family member.
    While there is still some lingering sadness over that loss (especially into the holidays), this year has been much smoother and the wife and I have just been less stressed and more content in general.
    I am very thankful for that, we remind ourselves and each other of it often.

Also, we got everything done ahead of time, or in an organized fashion leading up to Thanksgiving, and now into Christmas.
    Sailing calmer waters sure is better than battling through storms.

sabasgr68, BrianSkeezer and Snare227 like this.
  17. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

Muskrat Distortion

I received my first guitar as a Christmas gift when I was either 11 or 12. Can't remember exact age. It was a black Shane Targa strat copy. I received it along with a crappy amp and a Ernie Ball How To Play Guitar Phase 1 Book. My dad showed me a few chords and told me to work through the book. Lessons weren't something they were interested in setting me up with. I played around with the guitar for a bit, but as you can imagine, after awhile it ended up in the back of a closet with no real interest. With nothing more than that book and nobody to show me much, I gave up. It wasn't until I was around 15-16 that I took a real interest in learning to play. One of my friends was taking lessons and he showed me things as he learned them. I also started purchasing tab books (pre-internet days) and regularly picking up guitar magazines and learning as much as I could on m y own. A few friends and I put together a band and played together on weekends throughout high school. At one point I purchased a Fender 72 Thinline Reissue Telecaster and traded that Shane Targa in on an Alvarez acoustic. As my friends and I graduated high school, and I went on to college, my interest in playing dwindled and for a few years my guitars didn't get much play. It wasn't until I was finishing up undergrad that I picked them back up and started playing regularly again. Now it comes and goes in waves and cycles. Times get busy and I don't play as much, or things slow down and I'll play a couple hours every day for months. I've gone through all sorts of gear over the last 22 years of playing, but I still keep an eye on on eBay, CL, Reverb, etc.. for a Shane Targa like the one I used to have. I've only seen one other exactly like the one I used to have. At the time it was overpriced so I passed on it.

MattS, sabasgr68 and Snare227 like this.
  18. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing this again, Dustin and thanks to all the participants. This is a great read.

I am not sure which pedal....lemme think about it. They are all so good. STD Jam-Ray?

I will keep this short and sweet.

My first marriage ended in 1995. At the time I had 2 young children. It was a very dark period for me. One of the things that kept me going was Christmas with those kids. If I didn't have that experience with them I just don't know if I would have made it out alive.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    MattS, Tsukiyomi, sabasgr68 and 5 others like this.
  19. Snare227

@toomanycats is in lead for the Mystery Stocking pedal with about a week to go!

20. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

I have your ZAZ but it has no label. Must have been one of your early ones. Great pedal. I may have sold it, not sure what is left anymore. I sort of semi-retired from the band seen unless it's acoustic. Good on you for the giveaway!! Merry Christmas.

MattS, adad, Snare227 and 2 others like this.