Dcw Pedals - Agf Free Pedal Christmas Party! Winners Announced!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Snare227, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Snare227

Snare227 Well-Known Member

Thanks tonebender!

2. JAMES SCHAFFNER

JAMES SCHAFFNER Well-Known Member

5555dacbd94d6597f3f8bf3675d5de95._.jpg

This is a collection of old ornaments from my grandparents Christmas tree. These were from around the 30's to 50's era mostly I think. Included is a picture from one our early family Christmas mornings back in the 70's. It's just a little piece of magic from times gone by.

20181220_191621 (2).jpg

MattS, Tsukiyomi, sabasgr68 and 4 others like this.
  3. JustinD

JustinD Well-Known Member

Bearclaw Fuzz is looking pretty good to Me!

Christmas time usually makes me think of pedals because for about the last five years I have built pedals to give as gifts. I have done an Echoplex preamp, Rat , Tube Screamer, Dynacomp. I usually get busy with work this time of year so I usually end up staying up pretty late on Chrismas eve to finish building. This year I am doing a Valvecaster and I am still waiting on some parts that should be here tomorrow so I am cutting it pretty close again! IMG_20181220_201858.jpg

sabasgr68 and backinit like this.

4. Snare227

@JAMES SCHAFFNER That shadow box is a great idea. What a nice thing to remember the good ol' days.

@JustinD Be sure to post up some pics of your builds when you get them done!

fullonshred likes this.
  5. JAMES SCHAFFNER

JAMES SCHAFFNER Well-Known Member

Thank you. We decided to make a few of those for the family since we didn't feel comfortable using those ornaments on the tree. Those ornaments are made from very thin and brittle glass. I hated the idea of just leaving them packed away in boxes forever. I'm thinking of trying to add some small led xmas lights into it somehow.

nomadh, fullonshred and jtcnj like this.
  6. sabasgr68

sabasgr68 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this nice gesture of yours again, Dustin @Snare227 !

1) Muskrat Distortion or Sunrise Overdrive

2) (Hear the chords in your mind, clean or dirt, your choice):guitar:

:guitar:(Em) During my childhood years, my teen period, and my 20s, christmas was anything I could have been given as a present, or anything I could buy, eat or drink...

:guitar:(G) Then, with the unvaluable present of a son, everything changed...

:guitar:(D) Yes, I do appreciate a present given with love, a nice shirt or pants bought at a store, a delicious meal, or a nice cold beer...

:guitar:(A) But ever since then, I find more joy and happiness giving with love, be it anything material, or better, giving myself and my time. I treasure the words of a true friend, a warm and sincere hugh, the time with my loved ones, giving my better self.

:guitar:(Em) ´Cause this little baby...

Niño Jesus 1.jpg

:guitar:(C) has given me...

:guitar:(G) HIS light.

That´s my Christmas story for every year, for every day...

MattS, adad, nomadh and 5 others like this.
  7. Snare227

Much love from Venezuela as always @sabasgr68 . Thanks!

sabasgr68 likes this.
  8. golem

golem Well-Known Member

So, I noticed you don't have the same pedals on your Reverb and your website.

I'd love to have something like this Jam Ray:

d557c2b2e975a2abac7636f08ad0154d.jpg

My favorite thing about Christmas is my wife's decorating. My wife hand made most of what you see. Last year she won our apartment's contest ($100 of rent). We haven't heard this years results but we're keeping our fingers crossed.
    f9a538f6008c8b343f3eb0ebb24bcf17.jpg

MattS, sabasgr68, Tsukiyomi and 3 others like this.
  9. Snare227

$100 bucks off rent sounds like a nice prize to me! I hope you all win because it looks great! Talented lady!

10. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Now that's a freakin Christmas tradition. Good on ya man, and well wishes to the family!

Tsukiyomi and Snare227 like this.
  11. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

The Jam Ray videos that I have watched are great. That thing is on fire!

Snare227 likes this.
  12. Snare227

backinit likes this.
  13. Believer

Believer Well-Known Member

Very nice gesture, Dustin. While I really don't know much about pedals (I've always just played through the amp), I am putting together a pedalboard and one of your pedals sure would look classy on it, maybe the Tradition Overdrive?

As I'm single with no children of my own (but I sometimes count the 1500 or so students I've taught in the local High School over the years as "my kids"), I don't really have any funny Christmas stories to contribute except that I'm awaiting the usual 2:00 am Christmas morning panic call from my brother-in-law when he figures out that he has no idea how to assemble my nieces' and nephews' presents from Santa Claus. I'll probably not even try to go to bed, just sit in my recliner watching old Christmas movies until he calls.

Merry Christmas to all at DCW and AGF.
    Brian

14. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Well-Known Member

Left The Beatles' home for some Krispy Kremes...
    What a cool offer and every one of these pedals looks fantastic.

The Hands of Time would be my choice (y)

8299ab5c14e6cd76aefd5956d6764d21._.jpg

Ok... I have all sorts of Christmas memories and almost went with my personal favourite, which was from when I was about 6 years old and my (now departed) Granddad who lived literally 200 feet down the road turned up at our home when my brothers, sister & I were in bed at around 9pm on Christmas Eve and talked my Mum into letting us get up, pretending it was Christmas morning. He just wanted to watch us open presents and didn't want to miss it the following morning. I remember everything about it vividly, right down to Johnny Mathis' "When A Child Is Born" playing on the big wooden music centre as we opened presents that my Granddad was partly responsible for, convinced that it was actually 4 o'clock in the morning on Christmas Day.

I know that seems like a cheap way of getting two stories in for the price of one - it's not, that's just a special Christmas memory that I wanted to put out there. My 'proper' entry isn't sentimental, or meaningful. But it is funny to look back on...

For those old enough, take yourself back to the magical time that was the cusp between the end of the 80's and beginning of the 90's. I was working in an office and had spent much of the previous year flirting with a cute blonde who was my age, had a look of Kelly Bundy but wasn't as smart. To give you a sense of that, she could stop traffic by wearing the right pair of skin tight jeans, but also at one point agreed to sell me her soul for £5 because she didn't have any money until payday, two days later (don't worry, I didn't actually make her go through with the sale).

Anyway, as I say, we'd been flirting all year. We worked in a fairly open-plan office and actually had a ball & loved working there. Everyone knew she was a rock chick bimbo and that I was in bands and what not. This was when my hair was almost waist length, thick and curly. My hair was my big thing then - something I could use to chat up girls without having to actually open my mouth, since I'd often get women coming up to me asking if they could play with it, or giving the usual "That's wasted on a man" line (that I've never understood, but that's another story).

39d939a102205c0a5ad284435da46b3a.jpg

So, it gets to Christmas Eve. Christmas Eve was a wonderful time back then. Many offices would close half day and if you had a decent boss, he'd accompany the staff out to local bars before we began the customary pub crawl.

This one year, 1990, was a double whammy for me. Despite us having fun at work, my main boss was a twat (hold on while I check to make sure I haven't used my real name in my AGF account... Nope, all good) and really fucking hated me, with the feeling being mutual. His wife worked with us as a temporary worker of the winter period, so she was out drinking with us. That led to something between us, but I'll share that one in next year's pedal contest (y) So... we started out drinking at around 2pm, with the whole office going around the corner to a local boozer and by around 5.30-6.00pm we were in our third venue and the beers were starting to take effect. The Kelly Bundy co-worker, who I shall refer to as 'Sue' (because that was her name) was busy flirting back and once I'd told her that I actually fancied her made a point of telling me that she wished she'd known, because we could have been having all sorts of fun in the stock room. The chat got flirtier and flirtier, and when she said she had to go to the cashpoint to take out some more money, I told her I'd walk her over to make sure she was safe. Besides, it was dark by then and I really didn't want her walking over to the bank on her own. On our way back we flirted some more and her hand brushed against mine 'accidentally' then when I didn't pull back, she held my hand, so we walked that way until we got outside the pub where we'd left everyone else 15 minutes earlier.

89f0d771abff2b629ecfdbe05fbafe4d.jpg

The drink got the better of me and I kissed her against the outside wall of the pub. She was into it, and so we stood there, me in my rock'n'roll granite-washed tight jeans and untucked shirt, her in her tight jeans and blouse, both of us with our big 80's hair totally enveloping each other. Several minutes later I heard cheering but didn't stop making out with Sue. A few minutes after that and a small crowd had gathered around, cheering, whistling and egging us on with cries of "Kiss, kiss, kiss, kiss!". I was convinced I must have been doing LIverpool's version of that VJ Day sailor & girl kissing photo and that my amazing style had brought me a fan club, so I started pulling Sue closer to me, holding her bum while we snogged. That got even more cheers, but you'll be pleased (or disappointed) to know I didn't go any further than that. What seemed like 30 minutes later, but was probably around 7 or 8 after starting our makeout session, we stopped and with my face still close to Sue's I said "We should probably go back inside". As I moved away I was met with a huge collective groan from about a dozen lads, one of whom shouted out, disappointed

"Oh fucking hell, it's not two girls. That one on the right's a fella!" :LOL:

e913cfba4b61d104318947739dc8c098.gif

God, I miss those days!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    mighty_duck, MattS, jam and 8 others like this.
  15. Snare227

That's hilarious @Tsukiyomi... Thanks for taking the time to type that out!

Tsukiyomi likes this.
  16. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

LOL. That used to happen to me too.

I still have the hair, and I'm still pretty . . . but the beard destroys the possibility of any such ambiguity.

MattS, Snare227 and Tsukiyomi like this.
  17. Tsukiyomi

You know, I thought to myself once or twice while I typed that out that if anyone knew what that memory felt like, it'd be you! :LOL:

Snare227 likes this.
  18. Tsukiyomi

I love this idea!!!

Snare227 likes this.
  19. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Oh, I'll bet you that @RedLesPaul had to endure some misdirected catcalls in his time. He was a real cutie with those long locks of his.

RedLesPaul, Snare227 and Tsukiyomi like this.
  20. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

Miss Marsha? I didn’t see that one on your site but it looks very tasty in your photo. Tell us more . I’d be willing to be a Guinean pig for it. But It isn’t an option then I would be very thankful to receive a Jam Ray or JAm Ray deluxe. And thanks Again for making such a wonderful gesture in the spirit of Christmas. I’ve been reading the stories and feel like ive learned still more I didn’t know about forum members I see her regularly. Some of them are crazier than I fully realized @toomanycats

Christmas traditions in my life have certainly changed. When I was a kid it was all about watching those Christmas specials like Rudolf the red nosed reindeer (and to be honest it still is but with my son now who’s 5). It’s fun passing down the memories and traditions we grew up with to our kids. It helps remind me of those great feelings I grew up with. Seeing things now from an older perspective it also reminds me to cherish he time we have and to really give during this season. My fiancé and I both lost someone special to us in late November 2003. My mom and her then boyfriend of many years. Erin and I wouldn’t first meet till 9 years later on the anniversary of her boyfriends passing. While those voids are impossible to fill, its the way we carry forward that matters and in a way becomes its own tradition. Each season we give to a large cash gift to someone less fortunate us, who’s down on their luck. Sometimes it’s anonymous but not always. To be honest we help a lot of people around us all year, but this is a extra special time of year when we give more. It reminds us of what’s truly important. The people around you that love and share the gift of family and friendship.

Anyways merry Christmas everyone! And thanks again Dustin for starinf the thread. Cheers!