NGD Dean Zelinsky Tagliare

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by solteroblues, May 21, 2020.

1. solteroblues

solteroblues Well-Known Member

So thanks to everyone that offered ideas and suggestions in my previous post, but I found this beauty on eBay for a pretty good price, so I pulled the trigger. It's a Dean Zelinsky Tagliare in Vintage Sunburst in SSS configuration, with the Z-Glide neck. The guy told me it is about 7-8 years old, but looks brand new, other than changing the knobs from knurled chrome knobs to the traditional Strat style, I don't think he ever touched it. Came in a nice hard shell case and all of the case candy, including the original knobs.

Strung with some kind of weird strings that were as dead as a hammer. I have no idea what they were, there was a D'Addario tag in the case, but these alternated between purple and brass ball ends... Low E was purple, A was brass, D was purple, G was brass, B purple, and High E was brass.... Anyone ever seen anything like that?

Changed those crappy things out with some Elixir Nanowebs, now it sings like a bird. I was afraid the guitar would just be dead sounding, but the strings fixed it right up. It was so bad you couldn't even hear the low e when you plucked it acoustically. It's also made of about 15 pieces of "alder". You can see in the pics that even the body thickness is made up of at least 2 layers of thinner pieces, never seen that before. Apparently that doesn't detract from the sound of it, though, as it sounds really good. Excellent fretwork, no buzzing even after dropping the action a bit, very well dressed fret ends, nearly on par with my Core PRSi. The trem seems pretty nice overall, but the screws in the saddles are way too long and stick up above the saddles, so I'll probably change those out.

Pickups sound fine, never really owned true single coils before, so I can't compare to anything else. They're supposed to be "vintage voiced" alnico V's. The neck is very comfortable, though somewhat wider than most of my others, maybe comparable to the PRS new pattern thin on my 35th Anniversary CU24. I kind of like the Z-glide, don't really notice it being bad, and it does offer easy sliding. Beautiful top that is very 3-D for a thin veneer, as good as a 10 top as far as looks, and they did a very good job of blending it into the body with the fade, you'd never know its a veneer really. This thing is very heavy for a strat style, probably due to the butcher block body, but I don't play standing so it isn't really an issue. I mean Agile LP style heavy, probably 9-10 lbs.

Pros: Beautiful, sounds good, comfortable body carve, excellent fretwork, nice neck, trem stays in tune.
    Cons: HEAVY, one tone pot spins (easy fix hopefully), butcher block body (doesn't really affect anything), the bridge saddle screws are too long and stick up.

Overall I'm very happy with it. Certainly much better than any other Strat i've played, that's why I've never owned a Strat! It's not perfect, but the quality (even including the butcher block) is very good. On to the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

butcher block body thickness
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. solteroblues

3. t-glo

t-glo Well-Known Member

Purty.

4. STACKS

STACKS Well-Known Member

Looks great!
    Ain't nothing wrong with a butcher block body.
    I'm sure they used tone glue:)

Bubba Zanetti and RiverDog like this.
  5. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Very nice looking guitar you have there, HNUGD! I'm intrigued by that pattern on the back of the neck - never seen anything like that before actually.

Bubba Zanetti likes this.
  6. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I like it! But I'd put the chrome barrel knobs back on it.

solteroblues and AnotherJim like this.
  7. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

I like most of his stuff (over the years) except for his papers thin guitars.

8. solteroblues

Thanks guys. I've liked every Dean guitar I've played, from the ultra cheap $79 Vendetta up to the USA Hardtail

I've seen some people don't like the carved pattern on the back of the neck, but so far, I do. It does allow movement without any friction, so you don't have to ever worry about a sticky neck. I'm sure it could get dirty, but a tooth brush should be able to clean that out easily.

I'm not a fan of the knobs, either, but mainly because they don't really match the color of the pick guard. I'm thinking of going pearly white, anyway, but nothing too soon.

9. shupe13

shupe13 Active Member

Congrats!

You're the first person I've seen post one!!

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

10. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Only the finest tone glue, the kind that holds the wood together with a malleable melodic bind. The more melodic the glue the better the sustain.

STACKS likes this.
  11. solteroblues

LOL... as dead as it sounded before the new strings, I just knew they used the "non-tone glue", but the new strings make it really ring out now.

STACKS and Bubba Zanetti like this.
  12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yeah, the 'non-tone glue" really makes a guitar suck...almost as bad as not using a Tone Saw to cut the guitar bodies, the blades have to be sharpened just right so that the guitar's contours are such that you can pull of heavenly pinch harmonics that make the angels blush.

STACKS likes this.