Did A P90 Mag Swap.....oh Lawd!!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hoser, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Lamf77

Lamf77 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not sure if mentioned. But if the neck pup has the north facing in...thenb the bridge pup should have the south poles facing in.

This article is long...but saved me on my last swap.

https://courses.physics.illinois.ed...rson/Dan_Carson_P498POM_Final_Report_Sp10.pdf

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    nomadh and andrewsrea like this.
  2. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

3. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Some folks do like it non-humbucking in the middle selection for single coils, as there is phase shift in humbucking that creates that clucky scoop in the midrange. Non humbucking will create additive noise, but has more of a single coil midrange character when both pups are selected.

4. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    whatever source I used said both pickups north to the poles.
    I just used the magnet to duplicate what was there on the BWG Santa Fe.
    I think both were north to the poles.

I am not clear on phase and / or hum cancelling - for a 2 pu guitar - if 1 pickup is NOT reverse wound, will arranging the magnets one pickup north to poles and the other south to poles cancel hum, be out of phase, neither, both?

I dont play on both pickups often but it has been on my list to experiment with it more.

5. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

'Reverse-wound' is a bit of a play on words and rarely ever does a builder truly wind one pickup clock-wise and the other counter clock-wise.

Typical example which will yield a humbucker when both single coils are engaged:
    - Bridge clock-wise wound, north pole, center (hot) lead to the coil wind 'start' and the braided ground to the coil wind 'finish.'
    - Neck clock-wise wound, south-pole, center (hot) lead to coil wind 'finish' and the braided lead to the coil wind 'start.'

Notice in my example polarity is reversed and leads are reversed, which is the condition when someone says 'reverse-wind / reverse-polarity (RWRP)'

In my example, if you wound the bobbin counter clock-wise on the neck pickup and kept the leads like the bridge, you'd have the same humbucking effect. But with added build cost (set up time, employee instruction,etc) to reverse, which is why no one really does that.

nomadh and jtcnj like this.