NSFW Digital Art Question!

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by rrobbone, Mar 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I hope to draw on some of your expertise here.

The wife gave me her iPad Pro and I just took delivery of an Apple pencil. I have access to Adobe Illustrator (as well as the whole Adobe suite) and Procreate.

I am a rank amatuer in the digital realm of art, but have lots of pen and ink, painting, and pencil work done. At this point, I have only spent a few hours "getting to know you" time with Illustrator. I want to end up with results along these lines:

Bjork.jpg

majin-buu-dbz.jpg

So I'd love to hear about what you like/dislike about each as well as any direction you may have towards good youtubery tutorials for those apps.

Thanks kindly in advance.

stevebway and Mickey like this.
  2. rrobbone

I don't usually bump a post, but I know there's some graphics minded folks here. They might not have seen it, of course. I'll make amends...

3677530-vector-illustration-sexy-girl.jpg

stevebway and Mickey like this.
  3. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

interesting timing. My son (12yo) has recently expressed a similar interest, the advantage he has is that my brother in law is a graphic artist by trade, so I get to go to him with lots of the same questions..
    You have the biggest questions out of the way: What tools to use and why? They were free? always the best answer.
    Charlie doesn't want to do this as a living and in fact is only interested because he and his friends have created an online game and he wants to "flesh out" their characters and eventually print them on the 3d printer. So since its not a money maker his 'tablet needs' are much lower, although he has access to literally top of the line android tablets (up to 13") he starting w/ a mid sized 10" and will grow from their.

At his uncles recommendation most of his "work" will be done on the desktop/laptop and depending on his interest may expand. Apparently the gap between PC and MAC in graphic arts has narrowed considerably, since the latest MACS are basically just streamlined PCs running a UNIX derivative, which points to MY setup. VERY strong AMD (not Ryzen, yet) lots of ram, running Linux.

My brother in law actually prefers GIMP over a lot of the commercially available stuff, mostly because of its cost (in the beginning), then lik everyone, once he learned it, realized its very strong, and more and more online art is being done in GIMP.

I do know a bunch of other digital artists and many of them started with MACS, its what their folks gave them in college so they stayed with what works.

Suprising to me a lot of those folks prefer procreate over the adobe line. apparently the "simplicity is there without the stupidity.

I don't know what your viewing habits are, but there is a video of IJustine following a Bob Ross video using Procreate and an IPAD.

Much as I despise apple products even I have to say her output is pretty impressive, look it up when you get a chance.

As for the "apple pen" its funny Charlie and I were talking about that last week. apparently a class mate is bragging how much better his work is that the "mouse kids" So I bought Charlie a $12 pen mouse and he's drawing rings around the kid. He calls him digital crayon :)

anyway, big learning curve, I think whatever you learn on is what a lot of folks stick with

rrobbone likes this.

4. rrobbone

Interesting, I had never heard of a pen mouse.

So yeah, the equipent was free (except for my Apple pencil, had to buy my own) - but I had to sell my (formerly Android) soul to Apple to get it. Now that I've had my iPhone for a couple weeks, I'm used to the GUI and it's much less frustrating than it was.

I had been using a mid-range Wacom tablet with Gimp and then Illustrator on PC, but it just never really hooked me. I tried several times, but no excitement - I just went back to my old ways with actual pen and ink or simply spraypaint stenciling stuff.

I must say that I am really enjoying Procreate so far. I've been just digging around in the app to see what it can do (Manual? What's that?), and it's fairly intutive. I'm liking it, but I'll give Illustrator a run as well.

5. mindwave

RROB there are a lot of great YT videos that can step you through some really amazing stuff w/ procreate, most of them that ive seen address only 1 or 2 things at a time so the videos are really short.

as for the 'pen mouse' what I think is interesting is that apparently Apple is playing the "look at the tech WE have" when I was using a pen mouse a Win95 machine.

Then they disappeared for a while, then they started showing up on FB ads again a few months back with TONS of buy one get the second free! for like $25

I only wanted 1 so I bought 1, for $10, then my wife wanted one.......

Then they got smart and did away with the interface drivers AND the rechargeable batteries, THOSE were pricey.

All the newer ones came w/ AA batteries:

I don't know if it will post or not

But now that the boys learning we got some more. Wanted an "upgrade"
    so now Im looking for some better tablets. Don't need them, but my boy feels that a dedicated surface ihght fare better than "drawing" directly on the glass.

There had been some mid range ones out near xmas, now they all seem either WACOMS or postcard sized.

6. mindwave

nope, didn't post PEN.MOUSE.jpg

7. rrobbone

Those are cool. I've stashed a few options in my Amazon wish list. I think they'd be good gifts for the kiddos.

They have always done this, which was something I loved pointing out to my lovely, yet Apple obsessed wife. What I'm finding is that though they aren't doing things first, they are doing a lot of those things slightly better.

I haven't even dared to peer down into the swirling depths of the music app rabbit hole just yet. The mere thought of moneys to be spent there frightens me so.