Digital Photography Aficionados

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by rmfroyd, Mar 20, 2019.

1. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

Way of topic kinda, but I don't feel like joining another forum and having to wade through the douchenozzels to find the real folks like you fellas. Also, photography and guitar pron kinda go hand in hand....

My oldest son(11), loves sports. I have spent hundreds of dollars on fee's, equipment, time, etc on him. I love it, don't mind it a bit.

My youngest son(7), is allergic to sports. He actually has a shirt that say 'art is my favorite sport'. Fine, whatever. The problem for me is I feel like he is getting the short end of the stick both monetarily and spendtimewithdadetarily. My wife and I have struggle to find some sort of interest for him that isn't minecraft or youtube videos. We have tried piano, biking, golf...nothing sticks

The other day I mentioned cameras and he kinda perked up a bit. I did my research and bought him a camera the other day. So far I have been impressed with his passion, I just need to know where to go next. I have no problem taking him places to take pictures or even enrolling in classes with him, but not sure where to go for guidance. I don't want him to get frustrated and give up.

Here is what we have to work with:

Nikon D3500
    7f422c2d836d29a35980739cc1852a40.jpeg

Nikon 35mm PRIME lens

c3a2059460ee9682fc1b658df9b31a2b.jpg

Skylar Luminar 3 editing program

74e04c64b3ce54182a675b50197bf238.png

I think we are good with this setup, just wondering what the next steps should be to help him enjoy it as much as possible.

I told my wife I should just buy more guitars so that he would have different things to photograph, but she did not seem to like that idea...

A couple shots from his first night:

6774ef93e8cfa4337f4b22b03b5532c3.jpg
    0ac988c79d6e7a916e33eb8f8e4a0f51.jpg
    409775353301d51643b3fc852d195459.jpg

2. rmfroyd

3. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

macro setup?
    a good tripod
    interest him in time lapse photography?
    a class at local community adult ed?

The dpreview forum is decent - some folks there may have walked to same path before.

jimytheassassin and rmfroyd like this.

4. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I think both of you taking a class together (with photo trips afterwards for quality time) would be a fantastic idea. You should have something suitable closeby, especially during the summer.

My wife is a photography enthusiast and I'm a hack, but I think she enjoys teaching me on our little photo taking trips.

Something I did two summers ago that went over well was to have a photo scavenger hunt. I typed up a list of random stuff (leaving quite a few clues up for interpretation) and the family went to the shops in Gruene, TX to find our photos. Then we tallyed up a score at the end, called it a draw, then went for ice cream.

That was fun. Might have to do that again this year.

Scavenger lists are readily available online.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    RiverDog and rmfroyd like this.
  5. ID10T

ID10T Active Member

I was going to mention a tripod and community college, Poodle beat me. Contact local high school and talk to the yearbook advisor. Find a local wedding photographer who can offer guidance. Not to try to scrunch the kiddo's together but you could plant some thoughts in sports photography and twofor some of your family time.

rmfroyd likes this.
  6. rmfroyd

Yes, he doesn't know it yet, but when games start in April he will be the official Flag Football photographer for our team. I need to sell me a guitar to get him a longer lens.....

RiverDog and idiotsdelight like this.
  7. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

2 suggestions ,1 forum rangefinder.com they actually cover digital, film rangefinders ,slr and mirrorless cameras. Lots of good people, and good photography with good advice . @ KEH.com best 2nd hand photography store I'd go for excellent to excellent + on lens untill you know what you're getting. For good advice on Nikon lens the nikon forum should have reviews there are some gear snobs but most are like us here theres great and damn great for the money. For the games he needs a monopod and a good long zoom stand mid field for most action move as little as possible. There may be a local camera club too as well as community college classes.

Razzle and rmfroyd like this.
  8. rmfroyd

I knew I could count on you guys(y)

tlarson58 likes this.
  9. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Maybe his school has a camera club? Best things I can offer is learn about composition, and all the built-in features of the camera.

Learning what separates a well-composed photo from a bad one is more than half the battle... Once you see and learn that, you will be driven to find all the other ways to improve your photos such as lighting, texture, background etc.

When I was a younger fellow, I used to enter a lot of local amateur photo contests too, and did pretty good with that... Highly motivating to get out and just try to take good photographs.

rmfroyd likes this.
  10. rmfroyd

I wish. He is only in first grade, but something like that would be awesome. The current public school he is at will likely never offer something like that, but maybe middle school. As far as composition, that is why I bought him the prime lens, no zoom to fall back on. He needs to move his body to make his shots, at least that is what the google machine told me...lol. This is a beginners camera, with room to grow, ideally we will figure out the hows and whys sooner than later.

11. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I think, equipment wise, you made some good choices. I use that prime lens myself, it does well in low light and I love the bokeh. I wish my parents had shown that kind of interest in what I was passionate about.

rmfroyd likes this.
  12. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

A class on photoshop? If he is an artist type, capturing the image is only half the battle. I am always amazed at what a skilled photoshop user can do to clean up or enhance a shot.

rmfroyd likes this.
  13. rrobbone

This is true. Lightroom can perform miracles in the right hands.

golem likes this.
  14. rmfroyd

Adobe has gone to a subscription method for everything, Lightroom and Photoshop included, to the tune of $120 a year.

Skylar Luminar 3 is Lightroom's closest competitor and it was a one time buy at $69. I guess Gimp is the closest competitor to Photoshop and it is free.

15. golem

golem Well-Known Member

GIMP is very full featured. It's got a different layout and user experience than photoshop, but very similar functionality. I'd suggest using GIMP. Perhaps you can find tutorials for him on a free site your library offers? Perhaps Lynda.com (many libraries have subscriptions).

rmfroyd likes this.
  16. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

I am amazed how Photography as turned into Photoshopping. OTOH, lab photo enhancements were always around, by it was a separate hobby and interest.

IMO, learn, and get a good shot first!
    Manipulate at will if so inclined, but don't make it an absolute part of the process.

Other: there is also the video aspect of modern cameras. An an example, I started a new kick, videos of foot traffic in public places, like museums. Dance steps!

rmfroyd likes this.
  17. Fat Jack

I'd suggest GIMP as well. Here is where Rangefinders .com comes in handy ,lots of people willing to share their workflow for free. Very much a community like AGF.

rmfroyd likes this.
  18. Fat Jack

@Poodlesrule Photo manipulation has been around well over 100 years. ONe example from the American civil war cobined 3 different negatives to make 1 photo. Ansell Adams was a master at manipulating his negatives.It's just that it got easier in Photoshop.

19. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

Is rangefinders a forum? doesn't look like one, but I haven't used it, but looked at it

what about other photography forums?

@rmfloyd, you're on the right track, sounds like you're doing great with him. Personally, I think digital manipulation e.g. photoschlopp is a totally different domain than photography, in the sense that cameras are for artists, photoshop is for technies

20. rrobbone

I know. I skim off of the wife's sub and use her logins to play. There are discounts, tho. She gets a decent veteran's discount.

I hate that everything is going to subscription models. Now get off my lawn. :laughing: