Digitech Trio+

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by rmfroyd, Feb 10, 2016.

1. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member

Should be here Friday.

8465ee787a5df5e18145a6e2a5355add.png

2. rmfroyd

ronnx likes this.
  3. SalteeDog

SalteeDog Well-Known Member

You gonna attempt a clone? :grinning:

rmfroyd, Chocol8, RockYoWorld and 2 others like this.

4. slaveunit

slaveunit Well-Known Member

Looks fun. You could clone the footswitch probably.

RockYoWorld likes this.
  5. JeffBeck

JeffBeck Baldy McBaldhead Staff Member

I wish I wasn't too cheap to try one of those out. Looks like it could be a hoot.

6. howardlo65

howardlo65 Well-Known Member

Congrats! One of those is at the top of my list.

7. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new pedal. I need to take another look at loopers.

8. rmfroyd

I will have the Gen 1 version for sale shortly.

Partscaster and howardlo65 like this.
  9. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

I still need to figure out how to use my Trio.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jtcnj and Partscaster like this.
  10. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

An Engineer from Harman Canada posts in another forum. When I posted basically, "just great now my Trio will never get updated"

He posted
    "The Trio and Trio+ will coexist as a product line. We've announced a firmware upgrade for the original TRIO where we have put everything we could from the TRIO+ development back into the original. This includes the two of the most requested features: 3 different FS3X footswitch modes (same as on TRIO+) and the ability to pre-select a style before teaching a part (e.g. override the automatic style selection).

We should have this update ready for everyone sometime during the next few weeks
    ."

He also said

"In fact, someone asked about the sequencer on the TRIO+. There are 5 parts that you can create with looper only parts or band+looper parts. You can seamlessly move between these using the footswitch on the pedal, the external FS3X, or even better with the sequencer. Say you put a guitar only loop in Part 1, a verse in part 2, a chorus in part 3, and a bridge in part 4. You can simply press the sequencer button and then hit, say, 1-2-2-3-2-2-3-4-3 or whatever, and then hit the sequencer button again. The Trio+ will then play all parts in that order the next time you start it - that's the easiest way to do a full song."

"I've talked to a lot of people about the bass in the original TRIO and it was one of those things that people loved or hated. After digging into it further what I found was that when players were using the Trio just to jam and play lead, they often enjoyed complexity of the bass line. But for people trying to write songs, the busy bass really got in the way. So on the TRIO+, we've added a Simple Bass button - pressing it once causes it to turn green - now the bass will do a basic riff but always on the root. Pressing it again will cause it to go red, and the bass will play a single root note once per bar (or chord change of course).

We also found that the bass for many genres tended to play too high on the neck and so we've adjusted those algorithms so that it will stick to lower notes in general."

"
    For sure the original TRIO update will include the ability to pre-select styles (override automatic style selection), the ability to provide a "hint" as to whether you will want a fast or slow interpretation of your song (using the ALT-Time button before teaching), and the ability to select from 3 different FS3X modes. It will also include the improvements to the bass composer so that it plays lower in the register.

However, I heard a lot of people at NAMM really wanting some kind of Simple Bass mode as part of the update even though there is no Simple Bass button on the original. After hearing so many requests, we really want to try and make this happen so stay tuned! "

"
    How different is Simple Bass from training the TRIO with simple strumming? I find that if I teach by playing power chord one time for each chord in the progression, the bassline and tempo will be much simpler than trying to play some rhythm pattern in the chord progression.
    It really depends on the style. Some styles are actually very simple, but only sound complex when people play embellishments that cause the chord detection to screw up. So in this case, even without simple bass, if you play more simply, you'll get the simple style as it was intended.

But other styles are very busy and even with a single chord for a full bar or two, you'll get quite a fancy bass line. When you use simple bass, this will revert to a much simpler bass line.

Quote:

Also, is there any chance I can replace one of the existing Genre with METAL with the update?

Sadly I doubt this is very likely. The metal style uses different kits (the new TRIO+ has several new kits and more memory for different sounds). Not to mention that the metal style on the TRIO+ actually takes up a fair bit of memory itself! To keep the cost of the original TRIO down we really had to pack everything in there - it would be quite a bit of work to try and cram metal in there I think. "

So going to see how I like the original post firmware update. But, likely will be upgrading to Trio+, if only so I don't have to lay the rythem and bass and drums down on my separate looper. But, will see.

11. rmfroyd

Good stuff! I also like the count in feature, hopefully it will help out a bit with my awful rhythm/looper abilities.

I probably could have got by with the original, but the whole separate looper deal was a bit of a hassle for a lazy ass like myself.

So what amp are you going to run your drum and bass to? The new fender?

Partscaster likes this.
  12. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Cool that digitech listened to consumers for once.

but they sure as hell stranded us RP-1000 owners

cybermgk likes this.
  13. SexyGibson

SexyGibson Well-Known Member

I have been intrigued by these myself. So, do I understand correctly, the Trio also serves as a looper ?

14. Ralph124C41

Ralph124C41 Guest

As I understand, the Trio does not have a looper but the Trio + (Plus) does.

I've read some reviews of the Trio and they said it was hard to get it to sync with a looper. Can anybody speak to that?

I would have thought with the additon of the Trio + that there would be some close-out prices on the Trio but with this news about the updating of the software, maybe not so much, but I do expect the prices to fall some on the older version.

SexyGibson likes this.
  15. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Holy crap!!! I just watched a YouTube demo of this Trio Plus. Amazing pedal. Can't wait to hear a few clips from you Mr. Froyd.

16. rmfroyd

Johnny, you will be waiting for clips for awhile, I am awful. But I will let you know my thoughts on it for sure.

@SKYDAWG is cruising up to jam next friday. We will give it a good run though then.

SKYDAWG and LessPawl like this.
  17. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Well-Known Member

I really dig my Trio, and I spent a ****load on gear in '15.

Still, maybe not in the short term, but down the road, I could see owning one and doing some one-man shows.

howardlo65 likes this.
  18. sabasgr68

sabasgr68 Well-Known Member

@Dave-B,my brain is no friend of mine either;keeps telling me things about gear...

@rmfroyd Looking forward to your review and thoughts...

rmfroyd likes this.
  19. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

If you want to play one thing in the looper and then have it sync with something else you trained the Trio to do, you need way better timing than I have.

My solution is pretty simple. First train the trio. Second play the trio into the looper and record the Trio's bass and drum parts for as many bars as you want. Third, layer on your guitar rhythms and or other instruments and parts using the looper. Finally, jam away on top.

cybermgk, howardlo65 and pdcorlis like this.
  20. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

I use mine mostly with headphones. The sound isn't amazing, but it is good enough to practice.