Dimarzio's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AngeloR, Aug 24, 2019.

1. AngeloR

AngeloR Member

I had new pickups installed in my DC2500 today, what was removed were Dimarzio pickups. They look to have a brass base the chrome covers don't appear to be soldered on but are attached somehow. Maybe somebody can figure what these are just by the photos. Both are stamped. Made in USA DSCN8984.JPG DSCN8982.JPG DSCN8983.JPG DSCN8985.JPG

2. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Gold Supporting Member

The covers were probably not original and should pop right off. The one with the patent number looks to be a Joe Satriano Mo' Joe, especially if it was the bridge:

https://www.joesatrianiuniverse.com/gear/dimarzio-pickups/

This one though has the same patent number:

http://www.mattsmusic.com/DP153-prod.html

Both mention four wire leads but that is how current models come. Those have two wire leads but are old and predate the current coil-splitting hysteria.

As for the other one, you'll need to get the resistance readings to narrow down the possibilities...

3. Patrick Brommer

Patrick Brommer Active Member

If it’s DP153, that’s a Dimarzio Fred. Alnico v magnet with about 10-11k resistance. Coils are mismatched a bit for harmonics, and it does. I had one in the bridge of a Schecter c-1+ and it was a lot of fun. Really mid/upper mid focused and sounded cool split. I’m considering one to replace the blackouts that were in an ash SDK2 that I purchased. They aren’t made anymore, and aren’t super popular, but I found them to really get going with mid+ amounts of gain.

If you don’t want to keep it, I’ll take a ticket to jump in line to purchase it.

Patrick

voodoorat likes this.

4. AngeloR

AngeloR Member

Both are 4 poll lead, I'll do the resistance thing and see what they read.

5. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Gold Supporting Member

Looking at the pics again I can see the one with the patent number has a thick plastic sheathing so yes, a four wire lead. However, the one with no identifiable markings has the braided metal ground sheathing which I've never seen on a four wire lead...

6. AngeloR

AngeloR Member

I'm not that knowledgeable on Dimarzio but I'll probably sell them.
    On the one it says DO153 I can't find it anywhere DP153 I found on the other I found similar looking ones and those were some kind of distortion type.

7. AngeloR

AngeloR Member

it's a DO153 do you know what that is? Also are you interested in taking both. I guess you can pm me and I'll have to figure out how to retrieve the PM

8. AngeloR

AngeloR Member

Okay I checked the pickups with my meter and here's what I got also I took closer pix of the wires DSCN8991.JPG DSCN8990.JPG DSCN8989.JPG