Do I Really Need An Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps' started by CyFan4036, Apr 13, 2019.

1. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

So, I sold my Roland Cube 60 for a tasty profit. Enough profit that I was ready to buy a Boss Nextone when my payment from Reverb hits my account. In the mean time I went into my music room to play accouatically and the thought occurred to me to try plugging into my pedal into my Fast Track, which is connected to a cheapo, old shelf stereo....and it works! And it sounds good! So now I don't know whether to get an amp or some cheap but nicer monitors and a couple new pedals(I've been wanting a Sonic Maximizer). The sound is actually more articulate not going through an amp and I like that! I don't gig and only play at home really so that part of it isn't an issue. What do you guys think?

2. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

It depends. I have done both and in the end an amp, even a small one with a good clean channel is worth it. Think about one of the micro Amps like a Blackstar Fly or Boss Katana mini.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  3. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Some years ago I was in the same situation, only playing at home, not doing any critical recording, and I got by using an Ibanez TS-9 into an ART Tube MP into a BOSS BR-1180. I mostly monitored through headphones, which was a necessity of apartment living. With some careful tweaking I got some pretty good tones.

So "No," you don't really need an amp in this day and age, given your particular requirements.

But to play devil's advocate, in this day and age it's also the case that low watt, bedroom type tube amps (modeling amps too) can be had for stupid cheap. It seems absurd not to have one on hand, just because you can for the price of taking a family of four to dinner at KFC.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019

4. 50 amp fuse

50 amp fuse Well-Known Member

I think for the average non gigging apartment dweller on a budget it would be silly not to go that direction these days. Kind of like a multi tasker home entertainment/stereo system/guitar amp. Although might opt for something a bit higher end than a cheap shelf unit stereo and speakers. And while this may not be my situation I can and do play around in that arena from time to time and to be honest can amuse myself for hours. However when its time to get serious the big tube amps come on line. Once just for shits and giggles I interfaced out to my vintage Pioneer SX-980 stereo receiver thru a pair of Cerwin Vega VS-120's and to my surprise it sounded amazingly good. For the most part I'll use a powered mixer thru some nice studio monitors though.

jam and CyFan4036 like this.
  5. CyFan4036

There's a local Amoeg Reverberocket 112 that's really got me thinking! But I like my tone, so far, without the amp imparting it's color. It's so much crisper. And it isn't the amp i had being BAD so much as I really relate to that raw, unaffected tone I'm getting. I do pop on my pedals, an OD and digital delay, from time to time and to my ears they provide a better option purely on their own as well. That's why the Ampeg might come home with me. I had a RI model in the early 00's and as I remember it was an exceptionally clean amp with luscious reverb.

6. MrM0964

MrM0964 Well-Known Member

If you are happy with your sound, then by all means go for pedals and monitors. I have several tube amps and a Line 6 Helix, but I would say 90% of the time I play through a Line 6 Amplifi TT with a handful of presets I have made over the years. I have guitars worth thousands of dollars that people would cry blasphemy for being plugged into a $150 modeler, but fuck 'em. It works for me.

peskypesky and CyFan4036 like this.
  7. CyFan4036

Indeed!:ROFLMAO:

8. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was at a show last night, talking with another guitarist who plays in a bunch of bands here in Austin. We started talking about amps and he said that even though he has a closet full of vintage Fender tube amps, he's currently blown away by the Fender Mustang I amp he recently bought. Modeling really shouldn't be underestimated.

jimytheassassin and CyFan4036 like this.
  9. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like-need a modeling amp to get the tone I'm after. In my case its just that its easier to find a tone than spend the time tweaking my amp and and money for pedals. I play mostly from my amp a Katana 100 to a focusrite 2i4 through my monitors rokit5's. That way I can get a cranked sounding tone and still play at very low volume. Plus with usb connected I can play and record to backingtracks. I also have then headphone option when its like 12:30 am and I've found a riff!!
    So from my perscective yes you need an amp because modeling amps are getting really good and for a low price.

Ok but that's just the way I found to accomplish my goal. If you however have found a tone you really like and don't mind buying pedals once in a while then no you probably don't.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  10. Mark David Walker

Mark David Walker Active Member

If you do not gig, a good effects processor and a good set of headphones will work fine. So if you play for "you", really you don't "need" an amp.

That said, a good tube amp cranked up sounds phenomenal.

glasshand and CyFan4036 like this.
  11. CyFan4036

Yeah, I’ve had many over the years. I have decided that I do, indeed, need an amp. Got my eye on a local tube amp... if a deal can be reached there will be a NAD forthcoming. It just doesn’t feel right not having and amp!

Kraftwerk, tonray and golem like this.
  12. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I'm amazed you could sell a Cube 60 (an amp I like and what Seasick Steve uses) for the amount of money a Boss Nextone would cost. Good job! I think I bought both my 60X and 80XL for under $100. Don't remember the actual cost except they were great deals.

CyFan4036 and tonray like this.
  13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

Boss Katana 50 or the GT-001 comes to my mind.

14. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Intervention time. You need a glass sporting amp.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  15. glasshand

glasshand Well-Known Member

This. I have a good amp (because I do gig) and 90% of my at-home playing time is probably still into GarageBand.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  16. CyFan4036

I got my Cube locally for $80! I see a lot of them selling over $200 now as folks realize what great amps they are. And damn near indestructible! I make a little on shipping as well because if the volume my business sends every day and that's a USED Nextone but you're right, pretty cool! I wouldn't have sold it cheaper just because I liked it so much. You can always get more when you're prepared to be patient but, amazingly, it sold in less than a week.

17. golem

golem Well-Known Member

You're exactly right about being patient. I find that's what's enabled me to sell for more than I buy. I don't mind waiting a few months to sell an item if I'm pretty confident it will eventually sell at my price point. Obviously, for that to be feasible you need to be in the situation/mindset that you don't need the money ASAP.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  18. CyFan4036

Just a little teaser before my NAD...
    20190420_100936.jpg
    20190420_100834.jpg
    20190420_100824.jpg

nomadh, jjudas, littlebadboy and 2 others like this.
  19. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

CyFan4036 likes this.
  20. CyFan4036

Thanks for that! That site didn't come up in any of my Google searches. It will definitely come in handy...i need power tubes, a replacement handle and a new badge!