Dodged A Bullet!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by supersoldier71, Jun 13, 2019 at 10:24 PM.

1. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Well-Known Member

81f3a359ca70817006c751397b5a6dc6.jpg
    I bought this Christmas of ‘15 from Sweetwater. It’s a PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd in Santana Yellow. I fell in LOVE with this guitar man.

Since then, I got rid of a bunch of guitars and added a few pretty good ones: a PRS S2 Standard 24 and a Charvel San Dimas and man, they’re pretty nice as well. In fact, between the two of them and a recently acquired MIM FSR Strat, my CU24 was collecting dust.

In fact, I’d convinced myself that I preferred the San Dimas and the Standard, so I could sell the SE.

No!!!

Hell no!

I must’ve been nuts.

I’m keeping this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bc rich

bc rich Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very wise.

supersoldier71 likes this.
  3. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Good call and a very nice looking guitar to boot. PRS knows a thing or 2 about making guitars.

4. supersoldier71

I was paying attention to the price tag and country of origin. Mexican Charvel and a gen-yoo-wine, made in Maryland PRS versus a Korean “knock-off”.

Look, both the San Dimas and the S2 are very good guitars. Nothing wrong with either of them, really. The San Dimas has an incredibly comfortable neck carve and I LOVE the JB/59 pickups, but it’s kind of heavy and doesn’t stay in tune for weeks at a time like the SE. The S2 has the exact same pickups as the SE, but the sounds aren’t as pleasing to my ears. It is very lightweight and has a satin finish that’s pleasing to the hands.

But the SE. Looks the part, lightweight, stays in tune, makes every sound I could want and has a slinky, easy-to-play feel that I don’t get from anything else, even the almost identical S2.

About those pickups: PRS says that I’ve got 85/15S sets in both guitars. In the SE they’re balanced and bright and cut through. The S2: bass-heavy and nasally, all at the same time. I even measured the heights on the SE and adjusted the S2 to match. I get lots of compliments on my tone with that guitar though, so go figure.

CyFan4036 likes this.
  5. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have guitars stashed away that I've fogotten that I own, but I can clearly remember every guitar I ever sold.

DonM likes this.
  6. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about getting an S2 recently while i was still within the return window for my CU22 SE semi hollow. I have to say that each one I played at the two PRS dealers I visited were very underwhelming. The fit and finish, sustain, resonance and look all lean the Korean SE's way. I've had guitars made by World Music before, and they were nice, but they must do something special for PRS. It's a whole different level.

7. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

I have around 12 electrics. On different weeks each one can be a favorite. But I do have one favorite though.

8. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

I could part with two of them, but the others I would miss

9. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yup that's me also. I've been playing the Gretsch actually for the lost 3 or 4 weeks and had thought maybe I should sell the rest, yet now all of a sudden I'm digging the firefly. Over all yeah it probably the Gretsch as my all around fav and I find myself rarely playing the LP's. Still I know If I sell them I'll be craving an LP again pretty quick.

10. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Funny how that works.

11. supersoldier71

The Korean SEs, as opposed to the Indonesian or Chinese models, compare favorably to the Core lineup functionally and aesthetically. Just really good guitars.

My S2 is no slouch c2294eda2d5aac33ad2883062440b23c.jpg
    Pattern Regular neck, satin finish that feels good to play and it stays in tune better than any other non-locking vibrato bridge I’ve played. Light too, at a little over 7 pounds.

But the SE is a looker, isn’t much heavier and sounds great. The Pattern Thin isn’t the best for me for barre chords up the neck.

CyFan4036 likes this.