Douglas Corvus And Jazzmaster Pickups.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MadJack, Dec 26, 2014.

1. MadJack

MadJack Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

My daughter and I have had this Douglas Corvus 625 Surf Green for a while.

[​IMG]

She had it in her room for show and tell with her friends, but never played it. I like the thing and stole it back! [​IMG] (She knew from the beginning I would take it back eventually)

It's still stock, with a set up. This thing sounds and plays really good for the price. It needs the usual suspects, TUSQ XL nut, locking tuners, rewire and polish the frets. I'm going to rewire like the Fender American Special Jazzmaster, but with two volume pots, one tone pot and the lever switch. 500 KΩ pots and .022 µF cap, instead of the 1 MΩ pots and .047 µF caps of the AVRI and simpler switching.

The actual mods will be a JM Buzz Stop, will probably necessitate a Fender JM Tremolo. I'm also looking to see how to secure the tremolo are more than the slip fit it has now. Not that there is anything wrong with the tremolo otherwise, but it needs more of a break angle to reduce buzzing and stop the strings from falling off the saddles. I'm also going to install a roller bridge of some sort, one with the import 73.5 mm post spacing.

The big change is going to be the pickups. The stock ceramic Humbuckers are alright when played clean, but get a bit muddy when you start adding dirt. The Corvus 627 players seem to have a worse time with this than the standard scale players do. Anyways a Jazzmaster type guitar is what I looking to turn this into, so I'm going to replace the Humbuckers with a set of Jazzmaster pickups. I know a bit of body routing and pickguard modification will be in store, but I have no problems with doing that type of work. I'm looking to keep the price for the pair pickups under $100, which for the most part limits me to Fender or Buddha Custom Hand Wound's (most likely candidate!:D).

Fender has three style of pickups available, the Pure Vintage '65 set (only one listed as option on their website), the '62 Jazzmaster pups and the Classic Player set. I'm not looking to go overly hot with these pups, so that rules out the Classic Players. I wondering if there is much of a difference between the '62 Jazzmaster Pickups or the Pure Vintage '65 Pickups? Also, does anyone know of the specs of the 62's?

It seem that pretty much everyone (Fender, Lollar, Seymour-Duncan) are using AlNiCo V poles, it's how hot they wind them and what wire gauge. The wire gauge isn't mentioned by any of them. So it's a matter of how hot do I want?

I found the tone samples of the '62 JMs and PV '65 JMs (6.8 kΩ) to be just a touch on the soft side. The Classic Players and SD SJM-3/Quarter Pounders (¼" poles, 11.85 kΩ Neck, 12.97 kΩ bridge) to be too hot. The Lollar JMs (8.4 KΩ neck, 8.8 kΩ Bridge) seem decent, if only a hair soft, but I've only heard them with a soft jazz player, no dirt.

I'm thinking the AlNiCo V poles with something in the ball park of mid to upper 8 kΩ on the neck and upper 8 kΩto lower 9 kΩ on the bridge for just a bit of hair but not too much. What Say you? I mostly play Christian, to Classic and Contemporary Rock (not metal or hardcore!) and some guitar edgier Blues. Any opinions are appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  2. MadJack

MadJack Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member

Opps, I missed the Jason Lollar sound clips under his JM pups, the cleans do sound alright there, just the right amount of heat. I also found some audio clips of the SDs. the SJM1s do sound pretty good. With these other sound clips, maybe the low-mid 8s neck and mid-upper 8s bridge might be the range I want.

3. Buddha Pickups

Buddha Pickups Well-Known Member

Jazzmaster pickups use really short mags so I think the alnico 5 gives them enough strength to punch through.
    I think alnico 2 can still work but it just depends on how much high end you want to try and roll off.

I most commonly make alnico 5, but I've made some alnico 2 as well.
    I can also do alnico 3 but I've not had any requests for those as alnico 3 is even weaker than alnico 2, not sure how it would sound for a jazzmaster pickup but I don't think I would like it.

Jaymo and cornfed like this.