Drive Section, Or Multi-channel Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps' started by LargeIcedCoffee, Dec 1, 2014.

?

Drive section, or multi-channel amp?

1. Both

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Just guitar, direct to amp

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Multi-channel amp, using only time based and modulation effects in loop

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. All pedals in front of a single channel amp

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Two amps (show off)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LargeIcedCoffee

LargeIcedCoffee Well-Known Member

I figured I'd start a poll to see how many people are running what kind of rig.

The more I assemble my pedalboard, the more I've noticed that many of the things could be found in an amp.
    I only have a pedalboard for a couple reasons:
    1. Better clean tone than switchable amp
    2. My amp doesn't have reverb or tremolo.
    3. Subtle delay for solos.
    4. There aren't any amp heads that sound like a Rat.

When I add on the cost of those pedals to the amp head that I've got, there are a lot more options than what I was considering when shopping for a clean head. I'm still not sure which I want to go with in the end, but the chase is half the fun.

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Sorry, not following what the poll question is actually asking. What do you mean 'Drive Section'?

3. LargeIcedCoffee

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. "Drive section" meaning the portion of your pedalboard dedicated to dirt- boost, OD, distortion, fuzz, etc..

4. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Well-Known Member Supporting Member

i,ve done all ways thru yrs-and for playing clubs-fairs and partys-i ended up useing the 2 ch,peavey cl30 but only clean with pedals-trust me i tried alot-mesa boogies-fenders-lots-that set up what best for me-still does but i sold the peavy and just using a pignose 40 or a kustom

5. cybermgk

cybermgk Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Then the best answer is both, for me, though I also use a multi ch amp with time based FX in the loop.

Both my Marshall DSL and Peavey MicroHeads are 2 CH. I use both with no drive pedals and just their dirt CH. BUT, I also use dirt pedals into their clean channels. With the Marshall that gives me JTM through JCM 800 tones with the pedals and clean Ch, and modern Marshall on Dirt. Peavey, I'm still experimenting with pedals and it's clean as to what tones I can get. A SLO and a little Mesa seem possible, and definitely can make it do 5150 tones.

Rivera is mostly just the amp with time based etc. in loop.

So for me, no simple answer really.

6. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

It's a mix for me. I use the dirty channel on my orange CR120 as my main distortion and an mxr blue box with the clean channel for fuzz. I use the spring reverb on the amp for some songs/parts and an exr holy grail for a larger hall echo. All other effects come from the pedal board.

Prior to the orange, I used a Rat as my main distortion in front of my amt stonehead (50w solid state). The sound I dialed the orange to is directly inspired by the tone I got from the rat which I ran with the filter and distortion knobs both around 3 o'clock - pretty heavy/thick distortion with some fuzziness to it. That is basically how I would describe the orange's drive channel but smoother - maybe with a little more creaminess and less grit. Depending on how you dial in the Rat you may be happy with Orange.

7. dmitri

dmitri Well-Known Member

I use a Fender Deluxe Reverb for cleans. If I need to get dirty I have a Wampler Hot Wired v2. It has a boost on the right side that is like a lighter drive. On the left it has a more Plexi like drive. And... they can be stacked.

8. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

Interesting thread. It will be a wide variety of tastes I'm sure.

Currently, for what I am doing, I run all my pedals into the front of a Mesa Triple Rec and Bugera 1960. I am on channel 2 on the Mesa and the Bugera is single channel. Whatever "cleaner" tone I get comes from my volume pedal on the floor or if I'm feeling talented the volume knob on my guitar.

9. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

Guitar - cable - amp - cabinet

10. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Well-Known Member

Guitar - Soul Food - Peavey C50

11. rambleon

rambleon Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I recommended option #4 just because that's how I'm set up. I have my amps set to clean, close enough to break-up and just layer on pedals in front. Even though when playing with my band I rarely play clean; I'd compare it to having a clean blank canvas to work with. Also, in terms of gain from pedals vs using your amp for gain, pedals are far more versatile. You can go from subtle OD to modern distortion with a couple of clicks. Most amps are voiced for a particular sound, and if you want to switch things up pretty dramatically you're dealing with multiple amps. Also, you're right about the rat- it's got a pretty unique tone- gritty distortion right on the edge of fuzz.

12. jzero

jzero Well-Known Member

Edit: removed duplicate post. (Got an error on first post but it actually went through)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  13. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

Guitar to amp, with an occasional visit from an EVH Phase 90. Or, it's guitar into my Eleven Rack, which has a boatload of effects built in. Or, it's guitar into the iPad....

14. tonebender

tonebender Well-Known Member

Both for me currently. Three dirt pedals plus dirtt channel fot a total of 4 options. Time effects through the loop, if the amp is equipped.

15. dmitri

dmitri Well-Known Member

I would.le to add another drive option... i currently have a good light boost, a harder Plexi style drive, and both combined. Maybe a tweed? Or a Rat?

16. LargeIcedCoffee

For me, I also get maximum versatility with my pedalboard. I can go from smooth, jazzy, reverb drenched tones to hair metal and post punk, doing all of them convincingly. I know there's modeling, but I like tubes, and the idea of not having anything excess.

17. LargeIcedCoffee

I have a deeply rooted love for the rat. It stacks great with a lot of pedals. I use my soul food to smooth it out for cello-like fuzz tones.

Jofa likes this.
  18. jzero

jzero Well-Known Member

For me the signal chain is an ehx crying tone wah into a TRex yellow drive with one channel set to mild crunch and the other set to heavy Zeppelin style almost-fuzz into a bbe vibe, a TC Hall of Fame reverb and a DigiTech looper which feeds the clean channel of either a Peavey Special 130 into a fender 412 cab or a Carvin Bel Air 212 combo. Either setup sounds great. One day I might add a Fulltone 69 or a Maxon Water fuzz for variety.

19. Jofa

Jofa Well-Known Member

I've done the effects loop thing and it's great if I'm playing an amp that had an awesome drive tone. However, every Chanel switching amp I've owned either had a great drive and a weak clean or vice versa.

I've moved to a single channel amp that excels in the cleans and gets slightly gritty when pushed to volume. Basically my definition of that amp is one where, even when pushed to a slight grittiness, it will still sound "right" with reverb and delay out front. Think Vox AC30 or in Tonebenders case, Laney VC30. If I have that type of amp, then pedals are all out front.

Caveat, I've played super clean amps and drives didn't sound right. Has to have a little bit of breakup.

20. LargeIcedCoffee

This is basically what I do. The Traynors are their own sound, but kind of voxy, kind of bassman-ish. I could not got the sound I was looking for running the same pedals into a deluxe when I had one.

P.S.- Are you still making pedalboards? I may be looking for one in the coming months. Something terrible happened to the Freddy Boiler Room board. I actually feel a little sick thinking about it.
    I loaned it to my brother, as I had temporarily downsized and haven't been gigging. He put it in an old suitcase for transportation. Well wouldn't you know, his housemates were cleaning and happened to throw out the suitcase, not realizing what was inside.

Frankly, I'm surprised my brother is still alive, but I've been able to contain myself. Beyond pissed though. It had a lot of sentimental value to me.