Duncan Distortion

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by backinit, Aug 11, 2018 at 7:32 PM.

1. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

I read today that it is the same pickups except for the magnet as a JB. Does anyone have any first hand experience with both and is able to offer a comparison?

2. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

I own both. I've read the same thing about the pickups being the same except for the magnet, though I've also come across debates on other forums in which that point is contested.

I find the JB more versatile than the Distortion. It's really comes down to what you require of a pickup. I play blues, classic rock, stuff as heavy as VH and G&R, and the JB can do all of these passably.

I find the Distortion a "one trick pony." Too compressed to my ears. If you're doing heavier music, with precise riffing under heavy gain that needs to be tight and articulate, or you want searing leads, then the Distortion may work for you. It's definitely a popular choice.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    despiadado, doc-knapp and tobijohn like this.
  3. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Well they have the same DCR and SD is known for having models that are the same with magnet swaps (although with the Custom it's pretty explicit). I haven't tried both on the same amp so I'll pass on comparing.

4. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, Duncan only makes like 4 original pickups. The rest are all just modifications of those designs.

despiadado likes this.
  5. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

I think originally they were pretty close. The DD was closely matched coils with a pretty uniform pattern, 44ga magnet wire & Ceramic-8 magnet. The JB was a very slight mismatch, also 44ga wire with a 'calibrated' Alnico 5 magnet. My ears hear some scatter patterns. The DD & JB's DC resistance was in spitting distance from each other.

Note: I have a 1983 JB in my AMI Strat and have had it apart. I've also rewound a JB (one coil) and a few DD's.

Early JB's did not come standard with 4 conductor lead wire. It was an option. Now, I think it is standard.

I think sometime in the late 80's or early 90's they were the same windings, wire, etc. , sans the magnets. I speculate like @PsychoCid insinuated, for production purposes.

despiadado likes this.
  6. mark_morton

mark_morton Well-Known Member

Cats hit the nail in the head. JB is more versatile.

7. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

^ Agree.

I immediately like the DD and then get fatigued on it within two or three songs. With the exception of my 1992 PRS CE-24 with a HFS bridge pickup and also the Joe Barden Tele pickups, I have a deep problem bonding with the ceramic magnet 'stiff' and uncompressed sound.

Once in a while, I like the sound of the original Dimarzio Dual Sounds - a Super Distortion model that had a coil-tap (not a split), which you could select a hot or less hot sound. I think it used a smaller than Ceramic-8, ceramic magnet. Again this is from memory than recent use. If I recall, the Dimarzio SD was not nearly as hot as the Duncan DD.

despiadado likes this.
  8. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

I appreciate the feedback. I am only asking about SD Distortions because I have seen a few killer deals on the SD Distortion Mayhem set. It's good to know that physically it's so similar to a JB because if a did get a set I could swap out the magnet and get a JB or a Warren Demartini signature (A2) provided the ceramic is of the thinner variety.

9. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Well-Known Member

For your consideration, there are cheaper options similar to what you want out there.

Guitar Madness
    New York based but imports them from Korea. I think he designs them (not sure). Seller used to work for a NY based pickup company and very knowledgeable. On eBay they sell a variety of affordable pickups cheap enough for you to try and toss if you don't like them but most likely you'll like them! The have a set of GM Dirty Digits which are similar to Gibson's Dirty Fingers and close to what you need for only $28.95 a set (yes you read it right).

Specs:
    Magnet: Ceramic
    Large Center Magnet with 2 Helper Magnets
    Neck : 10.5k with 43 ga wire
    Bridge : 17k with 44 ga. wire

Demo:

Wood Shop Pickups by D&D Research
    They designed and made their Damask Metal bridge humbucker in the USA sold for $35. It is a 44awg wind, using a ceramic 8 magnet, and wound to 17.2k. It is designed with the metal/hard rock player in mind.

They are a Reverb seller at https://reverb.com/shop/darryls-gear-garage-21

Demo:

tobijohn likes this.
  10. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

I had a DD in my white Strat it was a beast of a high gain pickup. I sold it when I decided to go back to a SSS setup on that Strat just to have something different. Otherwise I wouldn't have sold it.

11. Deadman73

Deadman73 Well-Known Member

I can’t offer an in depth analysis of each model but I’ll chime in since I’m bored at work.

I have the Mayhem Set in an Explorer and find them excellent, don’t foresee changing them any time soon. Whereas the JB I had I didn’t like at all and tried in many different guitars before selling it on Reverb.

I have not had the DD apart but something makes me think they have the bigger c magnet - but I’ve used popsicle sticks as spacers when changing those to alnico and had no issues.

12. slaveunit

slaveunit Well-Known Member

Comparison with the low end
    JB=mushy
    DD=tight

despiadado and andrewsrea like this.