Epi Dot Studio Refin and Lefty flip-Little Video on Pg6

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by MikeyJames56, Dec 31, 2011.

1. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

RE: Epi Dot Studio Refin and Lefty flip

No kidding. Good job corn cob.

MikeyJames56 likes this.
  2. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

It's all about progress!

Loving it so far and looking forward to the completed package.

MikeyJames56 likes this.
  3. Jofa

Jofa Well-Known Member

First view of this thread. Awesome work man. This is coming out great.

MikeyJames56 likes this.

4. bob_amos

bob_amos Well-Known Member

I've been following this thread without commenting. But can't hold out any longer. It is obvious that this is going to turn out to be one hellofa guitar!! At the very moment I am gassing for a Dot and wish the Studio was available in lefty form. I like "simple" and the Studio is simple. Maybe this is the answer for me too. If I copy your work the stripe will not make it but the rest certainly will. Gotta think this one out... Thanks for sharing this build. Like everyone else here, I too am loving it. Best thread we've had in a long time.

5. LargeIcedCoffee

LargeIcedCoffee Well-Known Member

DUDE! BIG fuckin' thumbs up on MCR too. How old are you? Seem to be way more into the bands I am then the rest of the crew around here.

The last band I was in covered "welcome to the black parade" at our one and only gig. Try playing lead guitar and doing vocals at the same time. :baddevil:

6. MikeyJames56

MikeyJames56 New Member

Thank you sir, I hope this thread motivates you to go out and build and modify a Dot to exactly what you want! That's why I like the studio, it's almost a perfect platform for modification. A little drilling and filling is required but it's not all that bad in terms of work. The hardest part is waiting for stuff to come in the mail. Thanks again for the kind words, it's nice to know people are enjoying this as much as I am.

Thanks man! I'll actually be 22 in March, so I figure I might be one of the younger ones around here, not that it's a bad thing (You should see my room, it's this weird mix of band posters [MCR, The Who, Gaslight Anthem, AVA] anime stuff, multiple models of the Space Shuttle, 5 guitars/basses, posters of Hubble photos, and a massive German flag). I like MCR a lot, and my girlfriend and I saw them 3 times last year on their Danger Days tour, they really put on a great show :thumbup:

Singing and lead at the same time? That's way beyond my skill level! Must've been an awesome gig though.

As soon as I get home from work I'll be setting up the ladder for the clear coat. The humidity is really high right now, but it should lower as the day rolls on.

7. MikeyJames56

MikeyJames56 New Member

Minor updates for today

I got my GF bridge and tailpiece, and my graphtech lefty nut! I have about 4 coats of clear on there, doing about 3-4 coats a day until I run out of each can. Next week I should be getting the Dirty Fingers and cream speed knob in the mail. No pictures, as you all know what a GF bridge and tailpiece look like I'm sure :wiggle:

Crap, I just noticed that my order from guitar fetish, they included one tail insert and THREE bridge inserts. C'mon now...

It's a good thing I have to wait a month for the clear coat to cure or else I'd be a lot more annoyed.

8. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

Dirty Fingers...I'm sorry.

Everything Tom does with the Dirty Fingers is heavily processed by effects. It does not stand on its own.

9. MikeyJames56

MikeyJames56 New Member

I know, I've been on stage and have seen what he plays through and I know his sound is very processed (through a tc electronics G-force fx rig during live shows, if I remember correctly). That being said, I've also played guitars with dirty fingers (through an SCXD as I have) at guitar center and I like the way it sounds. Many people are convinced it's a one trick pony, and whether or not that's really the case, I like the tone and the actual variety of sounds I've gotten from it, including it's clean tone.

I could just do what everyone does and put some 57s or some other PAF pickups in there, but that's no fun as far as I'm concerned.

10. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

I really want to know what an Invader sounds like in the semi body.

11. MikeyJames56

MikeyJames56 New Member

I had the chance to try an invader in a friend's Ibby (He's since sold it). I can't remember much about it, but I don't think I cared for it. That probably has as much to do with the crappy fender practice amp then the pickup really.

If I ever do a TD stratocaster project, I'll go with the invader, and I may put it in the Dot for kicks and will get back to you, but that may be a while!

Almost a full can of clear coat on since yesterday, I'll be putting on another 4-6 coats today if weather permits. Guitar Fetish emailed me back and are sending me the right tailpiece stud with their apology, glad it's an easy fix. If anyone needs a free TOM bridge stud and insert let me know, I don't need three of 'em :grin:

12. malymal86

malymal86 New Member

I loved the invader's cleans I really do miss my TD Sig strat :(

13. MikeyJames56

MikeyJames56 New Member

The next time I can get a hold of a guitar with one I should run it through it's paces with a better amp.

I sprayed another two coats of clear, almost done with the first can. It rained earlier today and in my impatience I sprayed heavy and got some blushing on the black stripe. To my surprise, it disappeared about 15 minutes later. I was going to wait until tomorrow if humidity lowers and mist some clear on it to remove the blushing, but if it's not there anymore still by later tonight, I suppose that's that. I got lucky so far!

This is the most grueling part of the whole refinishing process. The timing between school, work, and humidity levels is like waiting for the stars to align. Hopefully tomorrow will be better weather and I can get more sprayed between classes.

I've really enjoyed this project, I've been wanting to do another ever since I refinished my SX P-bass, and now I'm thinking of future projects more seriously.

I might do one of these for a friend, who is also a TD fan. Since I recently discovered that I can get masonic inlay stickers I really want to do this one. I remember him using it in the "I Feel So" music video for Boxcar Racer, so I like it even more. I may just get a cheap Squier Strat and fill in the trem cavity.

1b6931d0821683decc75072274aed852.jpg

14. MikeyJames56

MikeyJames56 New Member

Minor updates! The clear coat has been curing for a few days, and I'll be checking it in a few weeks to begin the final wetsand and polish.

I'll have to really oil the fretboard, as that green 3m tape REALLY dried it out. The Dirty Fingers came in, I ordered it Thursday (from Minnesota) and it came (to Florida) Saturday - amazing. Don't under estimate the USPS :thumbup: I went ahead and put the pickups in their respective pickup rings in preparation for the installation, and I put it all together very carefully for a few mockup pictures. Couldn't resist.

28837a5de883c05ddd0840e14ed1e6d9.jpg

3b382efa63fb0049cf85c12bd20123d1.jpg

15. malymal86

malymal86 New Member

Looks great!:thumbup:

16. chibimike

chibimike Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Very nice. Maybe I need to refinish one of my guitars.

17. MikeyJames56

MikeyJames56 New Member

Thank you folks. Refinishing, even if it does take a long time (or I'm just impatient) is a really rewarding process.

Even if you don't know how to make a guitar from scratch, a refinish to a guitar you really like the feel of but don't like the looks can make it a whole new instrument, one that sounds great, feels great and looks great. It's a cool thing :thumbup:

I kind of want to buy new guitars and kits and refinish them and sell/give them to friends and family. I'm not great at it yet and I have much to learn, but I love the process.

Not much to update. I ordered my cream speed knob from ey guitar yesterday, and I did a thumbnail test on a spot that will be under one of the cream pup rings, still way too soft, but it's only been 5 days. I'm getting antsy... :wiggle:

18. MatthewFireblade

MatthewFireblade Well-Known Member

maybe in person it's not off quite so much, but the cream rings seem to be clashing with the finish.
    other than that, it looks stellar!

19. snarph

snarph Well-Known Member

hey that looks real nice going to be a good one

20. MikeyJames56

MikeyJames56 New Member

Thank you again fellas.

The cream rings do clash some, but it's really not as bad in good light. The lighting in my room is utter crap, and real sunlight makes it better IMO

I've redrilled the hole for the ground wire to the bridge post on the other side. The nitro is still curing, it has passed the thumbnail test today, but not the sniff test. I have a fan nearly constantly providing a breeze on it to aid in the process. I'll be wet sanding this time next week if it passes both tests.