Epi Lovers! New Nighthawk Custom Quits On Sale For $319!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by AxeGlove, Oct 6, 2019.

1. AxeGlove

AxeGlove Well-Known Member

SustainerPlayer likes this.
  2. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Wow. I have a yellow flamed top model from the previous run. It is a fine instrument. This is a great price.

AxeGlove likes this.
  3. jwguitar

jwguitar Well-Known Member

AxeGlove likes this.

4. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

To pointy ;)

5. AxeGlove

Body wise it's a cross between an LP and an SG.

6. AxeGlove

They were discontinued. When I talked to the AMS rep he said Epi was doing a one-off run for them only in two colors. Of course sales reps have been known to complete and total lying sheetheels just to make a sale. :)

fullonshred likes this.
  7. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Of course that was my tongue in cheek reply but I do prefer rounded horn which is totally a personal choice thing. The price on these is pretty good I'd say,

AxeGlove likes this.
  8. fullonshred

If they did individual pics of tops I would be pretty tempted if I saw one I really liked. But with Luck of the draw and I am guitar heavy right now, so not too hard to pass on these.

9. t-glo

t-glo Well-Known Member

I own 2 from some years ago and they are the best playing and versatile guitars I own. I use them at church every Sunday. Its funny to me that out of 20+ guitars those 2 stand out the most. I always thought their funny looking.

AxeGlove and fullonshred like this.
  10. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

I watched Lee from Anderton's in the U.K. interview Mark Agnesi on YouTubes. Agnesi wasn't able to say much, but he let the cat outta the bag, expect BIG THINGS from Epiphone in 2020, starting with Winter NAMM. The Epiphone Brand as many people know, has a very rich history, going back a very long time. Per Agnesi, this rich history has been under utilized and one of his visions is to bring it back to what it was many many years ago.
    I don't know exactly what to expect, but he did mention something about very special Epi's at "all" price points. Of all the guitars I own, and I have a shyte ton of them, Epi's are my hands down favorites. The quality of the fit and finish, along with the USA designed pickups, make them a no brainer for me. The classic shapes, which are very Gibson like, are timeless, IMO. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with. #Epiphone2020

He also mentioned that Gibson is selling a TON of guitars right now. Of course, he works for them, so I wouldn't expect him to say otherwise. Lee from Anderton's said guitar sales are very good right now and that his store is experiencing long waits on back orders for Gibby's.

Agnesi has an interesting background, and I've always admired him. After watching the video I speak of, I like him even more.

cottonmike likes this.
  11. t-glo

t-glo Well-Known Member

Someone on Tampa Bay's Craigslist has a blues Hawk Mint Condition with case $400. That's another one I'd like to get.

12. cottonmike

cottonmike Well-Known Member

I have a few Q's about an EPI LP Custom at the local pawn. This is and absolutely beautiful guitar, IMO. Rock solid, and pretty heavy. A color I have never seen nor heard of. It's called,"Honey-Mustard". Supposed to be a one-off, custom build, according to the expert pawn man. The color, to my eyes, looks like what I would call- Mint. A very, very, very light green. People are complicated when it comes to greens. I know this. It's a beautiful guitar. Many, likely, would hate it. You can see the wood grain through the thick poly finish.

It's in, like, brand new condition. I never saw a mark on it that I could tell, but didn't go over it with a magnifying glass. It's been at the store for about 3 months, thus far. I think the price is around 200$, by now. My immediate thought the first time I saw it was that this guitar was going to make the right person very happy.

Have you ever heard of such a color? Does EPI indeed do true one-off custom order Customs, with custom colors?

I really wanted to buy it but then I again realized that being excited to buy another guitar to inspire me to learn how to actually play the M-er F-er is not a formula that has worked, thus far.

Signed,

Cain't Play a Lick.

fullonshred likes this.
  13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a transparent blue one (bought from MF as a SDOTD) and I agree they ARE funny looking! But the versatility really is great!

I've not played mine out, but honestly, I don't care how it looks, if a particular instrument works for what I need it to do I'll use it!

14. t-glo

t-glo Well-Known Member

Yup same with me. But that mini hum is one of the nicest tones I've come across.

15. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Epi makes very limited runs of certain guitars inspired by certain artists. Very limited runs for them can be 1000 guitars whereas limited runs for Gibby are usually more like 100 guitars. Epi made a limited run of "56 Les Paul's" in Inverness Green, which is kind of Mint like in color. It had mini hums if I'm recalling correctly. They sold for 600 bucks and were made in 2016. If you had a pic it would help. If the guitar in question is this guitar I mention above, 200 bucks is a great buy. hope this helps.

fullonshred and cottonmike like this.
  16. cottonmike

cottonmike Well-Known Member

Thank you for these answers. This guitar has full sized HB's.

I am going by the pawn shop and get some photos of this Guitar today.

Thanks again.

Michael

LessPawl likes this.
  17. jwguitar

jwguitar Well-Known Member

I’m not very in tune (no pun intended) with what is going on at Epiphone as it is not a brand I typically follow. However, I have seen guitar brands in the past who will make a limited run for a company such as AMS or GC. Basically they are discontinued as soon as they arrive to be on sale. I’m cases like that it’s usually to the buyers advantage to wait since I can’t imagine those are flying off the shelves. It can only for the cost of the guitars to go down.

18. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Great price on a nice looking if unusual looking guitar. I'd be nervous about having to replace that slanted humbucker if ever wanting to. Not going to find that off the rack

19. t-glo

t-glo Well-Known Member

SD does make a replacment for the slanted hum.

nomadh likes this.
  20. fullonshred

I think all three stock pups sound quite good.