Ernies Ball Cobalts Rock My World

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by MichaelR, Aug 6, 2019.

1. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I just discovered these and just thought I should mention them here because I feel like all my guitars are new to me again. They seem to make the pickups a little stronger and just give them the growl I'm looking for. Somehow they have sprinkled them with magic dust it seems! I haven't been playing my Gibson Futura because I it just didn't have the tone but these really make her rock.
    43ccacca7bae7941257522b3ad96bad3.png

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    BrianSkeezer, bc rich and tonray like this.
  2. MichaelR

GRRRR!

3. tonray

tonray Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Did they sound brighter or just louder?

4. MichaelR

louder with more mid definition I'd say. Of course everyone has there own tone but I think these just have more bight the base strings sound better to me also while the treble is nice and bright to. It's just something I really like and I'd like to hear from some of the members as to how they feel about em. Give em a shot Tonray and let me know what you think about em.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    tonray likes this.
  5. BrianSkeezer

BrianSkeezer Well-Known Member

I have them on 2 of my guitars. I love the way they sound. They are definitely louder acoustically, and sound very good through the amp, just as you described @MichaelR. The only thing I am on the fence about these is I am noticing some more fret wear on the guitars they are on. I know that Ernie Ball says they don't cause any more than their normal Slinkies, but it sure looks like they do to me. I'm still using them, but only on those 2 guitars right now. Keep an eye on that, and report back if you notice it or not.

MichaelR, CyFan4036 and tonray like this.
  6. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

That was the first thing that came to mind when I read this thread. I bet the titanium strings are at least just as bad. Keep us posted though. I always love trying new strings...that don’t eat my frets.

MichaelR and BrianSkeezer like this.
  7. Rollin Hand

Rollin Hand Well-Known Member

And I heard from someone this weekend that they are considerably harder than other strings. like, if your guitar falls and something hits the strings, you are looking at dents in the frets.

That saaid, they seem to stay "alive" longer and really bump up sustain and carity for me, without harshness.

CyFan4036, BrianSkeezer and MichaelR like this.
  8. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

I've used them quite extensively over the last few years and I like them quite a bit. I find that you get more black finger than most other strings but its worth it to me. They sound great.

But..... I always find myself going back to regular slinkies. 10-52 or 10-54's if they are around. Regular slinkies seem to be more consistent to me, whereas the Cobalts tend to be hit or miss with the amount of brightness/loudness etc.

Paradigm's I won't use though. I heard a lot about them and tried them a few times but they remind me a lot of the Blue Steele's that Dean Markley came out with.

MichaelR likes this.
  9. MichaelR

Good to know about I'll keep an eye one them and report back because I'm not taking them off. :yum:

aah ha so that's your secret!

I bought one set of what they call the heavy bottom 10-52 Cobalts which are on the Gibson and the rest are 10-46, I like em both and can't really say which I like better yet.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As a side note the Lady at the local music shop told me that the burgler who hit them a few weeks ago which I posted about a few days ago, stole all the cobalts he could carry. He was in court yesterday, I hope they throw the book at him.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    CyFan4036 and BrianSkeezer like this.
  10. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

I use Cobalts almost exclusively. I find they have a pleasing midrange edge as well. They are a bit rougher to the touch, however. I have a lighter touch when I play, so I haven’t noticed any undue fret wear. I can see how some folks would grind down a fret or two with them.

I have a couple guitars they just didn’t sound right on, so I use boomers on those.

CyFan4036, BrianSkeezer and MichaelR like this.
  11. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

great strings. i use them on several guitars

i've gone back and forth a few times between these and the d'addario nyxls. the d'addarios edge them out for my taste (slightly darker but richer tone, smoother feel), but they are pricier

also liking the DR pure blues

12. MichaelR

So many choices so little time!

zisme likes this.
  13. glasshand

glasshand Well-Known Member

I'm also a regular DR Pure Blues user (and sometimes Ernie Ball regular old non-cobalt Slinky when I want to use cheaper strings on something, like when I'm building something and I know the strings are only going to stay on a day or two anyway) so maybe I'll give the Cobalts a try. For some reason I had thought they were a lot more expensive, but checking the price, they're actually not.

MichaelR and zisme like this.