Ethics Question

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Poodlesrule, Jul 19, 2019.

1. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Reverse the tables and pretend you are the one who accidentally sold something of sentimental value at a rummage sale of your own. How would you prefer the buyer of said goods to respond? To me trying to make money off of their mistake sounds like a dick move to be honest, but YMMV.

2. DonM

DonM Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

If they offer to reimburse you for your cost I'd take it. Otherwise, as previously mentioned, earn and bank the good deed.

Gergo likes this.
  3. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

Hell, just do what your gut tells you to do, not what a bunch twats like us tell you.
    You're going to anyway....

4. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

I would be pretty damn happy that the buyer who bought things in the cardboard box in the basement took the care and time to find me through internet search, made a call to bring it to my attention. I can't wait to see my parents Xmas party from 1962 when I was three years old.

This was at an estate sale, run by a specialized company, at a house that should clear 700K when sold, desirable coastal market and all. Very common here.

Apparently, one elderly parent is still living, so through me caring for the movies, this person should be able to relive happy days, once the movie is transferred to video! I feel great about that part.

tobijohn likes this.
  5. BatUtilityBelt

BatUtilityBelt Well-Known Member

My dad was a photographer. When my parents decided to move and downsize, my dad put out an ad to sell all his darkroom equipment as a set. The guy who bought the equipment also took a few boxes in the room that were not equipment. They were my dad's negatives, slides, and prints across the decades of his work. When we realized what happened, we had no way to find the guy to tell him those were not part of the deal, but we are sure he realized it and he didn't care about the legacy lost. Ethics is a personal thing, you do what feels right to you.

Poodlesrule and Fat Jack like this.
  6. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

@BatUtilityBelt That had to hurt with negs and slides gone too no way to replace them.

BatUtilityBelt and Poodlesrule like this.
  7. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

To be clear, the film will go back to the family, no question about that, and we are well into the process.

tobijohn, mozz and BatUtilityBelt like this.