NGD Eye Candy 4 U - Advice 4 Me - Sx Gg7 - Natural

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buddy, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

This popped on Reverb a couple days ago; I fell in love.

She is beautiful! But she is going to need some TLC. I could use your collective advice.

This is the exact state in which I received the guitar - except I crudely clipped off some coiled up extra string. It was driving me nuts and I didn't want it to scratch the headstock, so I just got that off of there as fast as I could.

1 - Overall, all the gold hardware is tarnished and dull looking. Should I just replace it all, or is there a way to spruce it up, back to it's original, full shine? As a drummer, I'm tempted to try Nev-R Dull, which is what I use on chrome snares and cymbals. It is amazing stuff. But would it make the gold plate golden again? Or would it just clean it and leave it still washed out looking, wasting my time?

2 - She'g got some fret buzz. Seems to be an epidemic among us lately, especially on SX guitars. I can see that there is something wrong with the nut. To my eye, it looks poorly cut, and in fact slightly chipped in a couple places. The neck "looks" fairly straight to my eye, although I have not put a straight edge to it yet. My inclination is to go ahead and replace the nut and see if that fixes the buzz BEFORE adjusting the truss rod. Do you agree on this observation / strategy? Can anyone recommend a pre-cut nut for this model? Also, anything I need to watch out for when replacing a nut? I never did it before. Is the old one glued down? How do I get the glue off? Is the new one supposed to get glued down? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I never did a nut swap before, and since I don't know the answer, I need to ask.

3 - Pickup is tarnished. Should I replace it? Clean it? Or maybe uncover it? Is that even a possibility? Any replacement recommendations? Should I switch to a mini? Or maybe a P90? Should I use a neck position or put a bridge position since it is a single pickup guitar?

4 - Output jack was loose. I tightened it, simple enough, but what about the idea of an entire electronics overhaul? Jack, pots, pickups (there is no switch to worry about)? I've never worked on a hollowbody. I've heard it's more difficult, and can possibly be a major pain. True?

5 - Neglect - The guitar looks like it has sat idly, uncovered, for a long time. There is some grimey buildup on the body and especially in the curve of the horn. Strings are rusting. What can I use as an overall body cleaner to remove the tacky buildup? Also, there is a shot of the inside horn, where there is some discoloration. I don't know if that is under the clear, and just how the guitar was made, or if it's an effect from laying in part sun / part shadow type of thing, where some parts have aged faster. Is there some kind of buff or polish that can address that if it's in the clear coat?

6 - Beauty shots - I love "natural" finishes. I wish Rondo would stock more of them. I think there is beautiful detail in the body of this guitar. I also really like the detail at the end of the fingerboard, with the pointy bit. I think that is so cool! I know many here are not a fan of abalone, but I thought these inlays were particularly pretty. Fingerboard definitely needs a cleaning once the cruddy strings are off. I can do that.

7 - PLEASE! Someone recommend a case that will fit this beauty for me!

8 - Gory deets & pics: While I'm changing the nut on this one, hold onto yours! $230 shipped. Seller packed it nicely. Good job.

toomanycats, andrewsrea, DonM and 3 others like this.
  2. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

IMG_4022 (2).JPG
    IMG_4025 (2).JPG
    IMG_4026 (2).JPG
    IMG_4027 (2).JPG
    IMG_4029 (2).JPG
    IMG_4030 (2).JPG
    IMG_4032 (2).JPG
    more to come

rsckrc91, toomanycats, Razzle and 9 others like this.
  3. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

4. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

IMG_4040 (2).JPG
    IMG_4041 (2).JPG
    IMG_4042 (2).JPG

That's all, folks!

rsckrc91, toomanycats, jam and 4 others like this.
  5. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

1. Absolutely NO Nevr Dull. Gold plating doesn't tarnish. It wears, or the metal beneath it corrodes and flakes the gold off. Best thing to do is to replace the gold-plated items altogether.

2. You should have your frets checked to see if they're level before you do anything else. If you don't know how to do that, ask, or take it to a *good* tech. If they're level, you may not have to do anything but put new strings on it and adjust the truss rod a bit. Again, if you've never done this, have a good tech help with it. Ditto replacing the nut. Can't tell you how many times I've replaced a nut that was replaced by an idiot.

3. Leave the pickup alone. This is a Jazz box, like my old ES-175 from about 1949. Single neck pickup is the giveaway. You can replace *just* the cover with a new gold one. No P90's, no mini. If it's working, leave it as is (though the cover can be replaced with a gold one). If you screw with it, you'll devalue the guitar.

4. When you "tighten" the output jack, make sure that you're not twisting it. You can easily break off wires and cause yourself more problems. There are some inexpensive tools that allow you to tighten the nut without rotating the jack (which will twist off said wires). If you don't need a wiring harness, don't buy one. You really won't improve anything.

5. I use Meguiar's Cleaner Wax to clean and protect both the finish and the metal bits. It's a liquid in a burgundy bottle, available at Walmart, etc. Use a very soft cloth to put it on, and a very soft one to take it off. I use ordinary mineral oil on the fretboard, though you can use lemon oil furniture polish (which is mostly mineral oil and actually has little or no actual lemon in it). Apply very sparingly, do NOT allow to soak in, and wipe off completely. Remove the strings to clean and replace the strings with new ones after. One caution -- the bridge may be held on by the strings. You'll want to mark its location with painter's tape (and note which side of the bridge is the neck side) to replace it correctly.

6. Wait, that wasn't a question. Okay then.

7. Case. Measure the width of the widest part of the guitar. Most Guitar Centers don't carry a jazz guitar width case, particularly if it's a 17" lower bout width. I got mine from Rondo (I have a Cool Cat). My guess is that it's got a 16" lower bout, however, and there's a chance that you'll be able to find one locally. My research says that a case that will fit a Gibson ES-125 is a perfect fit for your GG7. A case for an ES-175 will be slightly large, but the GG7 will still fit. Sorry, this answer was done over a period of time during which I checked the actual measurements of your guitar...

8. Hold onto your own dang nuts. New price on these was $159.95 (though it approached $200 at some point) https://www.rondomusic.com/gg7cus.html I don't know, however, how old that page might be, nor how old your guitar might be. Here's an older Reverb listing: https://reverb.com/item/22309804-sx-jazz-guitar-model-gg7-cus-vs-light-brown-yellow

You should check with Kurt to see if he's got a pickguard for these lying around. He might also have a case. The guitar is likely about 9-10 years old; haven't seen them available for a while.

Change those nasty strings before you do anything else.

DonM, peskypesky, Partscaster and 4 others like this.
  6. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Thanks so much X8!! I do appreciate the advice, and your words will not be wasted!

Edit to add - pickguard and bracket were included, but no screws to fasten them.

The reverb listing you provided is this exact guitar. That’s the one I bought. I made an offer. We worked out a deal.

Thanks again for taking the time to address all those questions! Much appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    Partscaster and fullonshred like this.
  7. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

I paid $129 for mine (the one in my avatar) and a Gibson ES-125 case is a perfect fit *** with this proviso: Gibson has made ES-125's full thickness and thin lines like an ES-335.
    Mine was a B-stock, the tailpiece was defective. The pickup was garbage, as was the tuners, etc. Bottom line, I replaced everything replaceable.

If I remember correctly (it has been a few years) I put a Graph-Tech pre-cut nut for a 1 11/16 Gibson, Grover gold auto-locking Rotomatic tuners, Gotoh tune-o-matic bridge in mine.

AS you've indicated you are relatively new to guitar, I'll assume this is your first guitar with a floating bridge, one that can easily fall off. The easiest way (that I know) of locating it and setting intonation is:

1.- run the saddle for the low E string all the way toward the tailpiece.
    2.- run the saddle for the high E string all the way toward the neck
    3.- set the intonation of those two strings by moving the entire bridge forward/back
    3.1- repeat as necessary until intonation is good on both E strings.
    4.- set the intonation of the other 4 strings by running their saddles forward/back

The simplest thing I can think to do about the pickguard screws is to just use brass wood screws from Lowes or Home Depot (nobody but you will notice they aren't gold. :) )

honyock, Buddy and Tsukiyomi like this.
  8. dasky

dasky Member

rsckrc91, peskypesky, nomadh and 3 others like this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh wow! I am a a little jealous! I have one too, but black. I love seeing the grain, like on yours!

On the gold, try the least strong methods first. This is going to sound silly, but don't laugh until you've tried it. Get a nice microfiber cloth, breathe one one of the tarnished pieces don't blow do like an "h" sound (like people do when cleaning their eyeglasses, your breath needs to condense on the metal) and immediately wipe vigorously with the cloth.

If that doesn't work, I'd next try a mild jewelry cleaner.

And welcome to the club!

P1000094.JPG

DonM, peskypesky, Buddy and 2 others like this.
  10. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

That's a steal, even if it was ~10 years ago! I think these are lovely guitars! I'm going to try some of the advice afforded to me above and see if I can make any of these parts look more pristine. If not, I will have to find suitable replacements. If I remember reading correctly, do you have a GFS pickup in yours?

fullonshred likes this.
  11. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

peskypesky likes this.
  12. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

Thank you! I'm happy to be in the club! And yours is STUNNING. I love it!

I've decided to start lessons, even at my advanced age. Youtube is great, and I've picked up a lot, but I feel like I need a real person in front of me, to tell me, "No, you're being lazy with your pinky... move your wrist up...," etc., whatever I'm doing wrong at the time. I don't have the knowledge or skill to correct technique problems, especially ones I'm not aware I'm making.

I think this will be the guitar I take lessons with once I get it all cleaned up. It feels really nice in the hand. It sits nice on my knee. It's not heavy at all. I really like it a lot.

13. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Partscaster likes this.
  14. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Nope, nothing Guitar Foolish here. :)
    I have a T.V. Jones gold Super'tron in mine.
    Yes, I know, the pickup co$ts more than the guitar did, but both were worth it. :)

dabbler likes this.
  15. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have a natural finish one too. Love it.

Mickey and DonM like this.
  16. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

I friggin' LOVE mine ( natural) . The neck is set perfectly. It is a gem. I put an A2 in it which sounds lovely. I should play it more.

Mickey, DonM and peskypesky like this.
  17. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sadly, mine got damaged in the move from NYC. It's just cosmetic, but the wood got dented on the front. :(

My fault for not having it in a hard case. It was in a pretty plush gig bag, but not plush enough.

I just now plugged it into my Vox and took it for a spin. It plays great and sounds wonderful. One of the best gear purchases I ever made.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  18. Mike 11

Mike 11 Active Member

I wanted to go with a different finish for mine. But lefties can't be choosers. 444.jpg

19. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

HNGD! Hope it sounds as great as it looks!

20. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

Nice looking guitar. I am getting more and more interested in getting a full hollow body. That would sure ease my pain.