Factory Strings

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Roberto, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Roberto

Roberto Well-Known Member

I had a look at the Rondo receipt for my AL3100M and saw that it was dated 3 November 2011.

This means that I have had this great guitar for nearly eight years. I play it every now and then.

I have yet to change the strings, so the factory D'Addarios are still fitted. They stay in tune so I think they can stay there. Open G chords ring true which is always a good test.

I wonder what this says about the quality of the Agile strings?

Or perhaps this says more about me. My 2012 American Standard Tele still has the original strings, but I have changed the strings on my 2012 MIM Strat.

I am not OCD, just slightly fastidious about always washing my hands before I play a guitar, and always wipe the strings with a cloth after playing.

Perhaps I should get out more.

stevebway, Jofa, DonM and 1 other person like this.
  2. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

It says you are used to playing very old strings and simply haven’t noticed that their tone changed. If you put on new strings they will sound different. Wether that sound is better or worse is up the you.

3. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Well-Known Member

Eight YEARS! Wow! I might occasionally go a couple months but the strings usually start sounding a bit dull by then. But I play it for at least an hour a day and I only play one guitar. I will say that the factory strings that came on my PRS sucked! It wouldn’t tune right and sounded awful. I almost returned the guitar before I decided to try changing strings. Transformed it completely. Maybe you’d be surprised by the difference if you changed strings.

tonray and Bullcat like this.

4. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    I think I am a bit OCD.
    I cant really tell when I am playing them, but do notice the new set is brighter.

I am the same with hand washing and wipe down -pinching the strings with the cloth as well.
    I can go longer on the ones I dont play as much; 8-10 months maybe.

The tell tale for me is sometimes a little rust in places, but mainly it is I can feel the divots the frets make in the high e, and the plain strings tend go go flat from bends and vibrato.

I say play them until you feel they need changing; completely subjective.
    I think the guys that change more often based on tonal changes have a much better ear than me.

minpind and Believer like this.
  5. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I dont change strings alot. Too many guitars. But ones with locking tuners I change more bcause its alot easyer. I have some that have 2-3 year old strings. But the ones I play alot get changed couple times a year. If they dont work well, or sounding or looking bad they get changed. Most always thing they sound and feel much better after I do. But I am lazy when it comes to it

6. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

I probably don’t change mine often enough either. Mine usually get changed when I do some kind of work on the guitar. Otherwise, if they sound and feel ok, I leave em.

My brother corrodes his for some reason. And after he plays one of mine for any period, I do have to change them.

7. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

In my younger days (but still adult) I had that problem too. My finger sweat/skin or whatever would corrode strings and I would change them every week or two at the max. That problem went away and I couldn’t figure out what had changed with my diet or anything that would be responsible.

8. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

wow.

OEM strings come off and are replaced when a guitar first walks into the room. And my string changes are pretty frequent if I'm actually playing the guitar...

voodoorat likes this.
  9. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

stuck in the mud somewhere in the swamps of jersey
    I had D'Addarios come on my SX Liquid that stayed much longer than anything else but other than that used guitars get cleaned up and changed right away.
    New only stays to evaluate if the unit is in order (within whatever expectations are in play) or will be returned.

10. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I just snapped a high e on my acoustic. I think I remember changing out that set when my kid was about 5. He drinks now. Maybe there was another time in there. I only changed em because I was expecting it to play more slinky like my wifes identical Sigma acoustic. It didnt change a thing and I was pissed I wasted the old ones. My strat I had them on until I could see the saw marks on the strings at all the frets. That was probably 5 years but it was my only electric at the time. I have to admit I could hear it in the intonation and tuning was getting a little weird but it still played ok. When I got into a band I changed em because I didnt want people waiting on me at practice for a broken string. Like my other guitar player who sometimes broke 2 a night.
    I think my sweat is a natural string preserver. I know 2 people who if I dont play the guitar right after they do by the next morning the strings are like rusty razor wire. And thats if they do wipe it down. If I play it after for 20 min then its fine. And I never wipe down my neck. And sometimes I take guitar breaks when gardening. I time I used a bit of wiping, some fret slick stuff I rarely use and played them till they were back normal with little or no corrosion. But it took an hour.
    I'd have to say most of my guitars still have original sets on them from where ever. I dont like the sound of new strings usually. Too tinny.
    I rotate through so many guitars now I may never NEED to replace a string again. Besides it takes too long and I'm not good at it. Because I never change strings :)

You probably all think I have a tin ear or can't hear differences but I can hear lots of differences. I just don't have strong "preferences". I dont like tinny too much and I still cringe a bit on my SS fret AL. I hate just a few pickup sets but most I can find something to like about them. I am very sensitive about intonation and if the nut is off by .5 mm I find the sound listenable. So I think different ears different problems.

I like woody much better than tinny.

Couldnt find the original python

stevebway and minpind like this.
  11. TeleMan59

TeleMan59 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty heavy handed on my fretting and after X amount of hours, if I run my hand along the unwound strings, I can feel the waves from the frets. I know it's time for a string change if I want the guitar to ring out again.

PsychoCid and jtcnj like this.
  12. jwguitar

jwguitar Active Member

Like you I hardly ever change the strings on my guitars. I use flatwounds. The two strings I change (if any) are the high e and b strings when they start getting worn. Other than that it’s very rare.

13. Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger Well-Known Member

As long as you wash your hands after your masturbate I suppose it's OK.

BrianSkeezer likes this.
  14. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

I used to change strings on a guitar almost immediately after buying it, but now a lot of guitars come with D'Addarios, so I leave them on. My hands don't sweat much, and I don't seem to have highly acidic sweat, so strings last a long time (and I don't wipe down my strings). I owned my Squier CV Tele for over a year and a half before the strings started to die. But I don't gig anymore, and no single guitar gets the bulk of my playing time (sometimes I'll play two or three guitars in the course of just one practice session) so that has something to do with the longevity, I think... I always laugh when people recommend coated strings to me. :)

15. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

I always IMMEDIATELY change strings if a new guitar comes with D'Addarios. :)
    Cant't stand them myself.
    And I agree about laughing when anyone recommends pre-dead (coated) strings.

Mossman likes this.
  16. Mossman

My "go to" strings for electrics are usually Ernie Ball Slinkys, but D'Addarios have never bothered me. What is it that you don't like about them?

17. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

Over those years, maybe your personality has soaked up that corrosiveness.

18. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

i almost always immediately change them and usually oil/clean the board when i get a new (or new-to-me). main exception are instruments with weird strings that i don't have (bass, mandolin, nylon-string, baritone). i swap the strings on my electrics out fairly regularly (probably every month or less for guitars i play a lot) but i put elixirs on the acoustics and leave them on there for a long time.

19. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

You mean because they are usually rusty when I first take the guitar out of the case?
    Or because it is usually impossible to set the intonation with them?

Mossman likes this.
  20. Mossman

I'm not sure how I could have meant any of that... I was sincerely curious why you don't like D'Addarios.