Fado, The Portuguese Blues

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by toomanycats, Apr 23, 2019.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Early this morning I was watching an episode of Rick Steves' Europe where he's in Portugal. He touched briefly on the genre of music known as fado which is native to that country. I was immediately drawn to the emotion of this music and was doubly intrigued by the parallel made between it and the blues. After watching the show I went online and dove down a rabbit hole investigating this music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fado

From Wikipedia:

". . . fado is a form of music characterized by mournful tunes and lyrics, often about the sea or the life of the poor, and infused with a sentiment of resignation, fatefulness and melancholia. This is loosely captured by the Portuguese word "saudade", or "longing", symbolizing a feeling of loss (a permanent, irreparable loss and its consequent lifelong damage)."

This video is incredible. What a combination of technical skill and power of expression. It is at once happy and sad, pleasing yet dissonant. It's "bluesy" in its sadness, it's "shredding" in its ferocity . . . it's simply amazing.

@Niko Souza and @Bubba Zanetti, I seem to recall that you are both of Portuguese extraction. Do you have any insight into this amazing music? Have either of you ever played a Portuguese guitar?

Razzle, Mickey, RedLesPaul and 3 others like this.
  2. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

I had a chance exposure to fado, a couple of years ago with singer Ana Lains, at the nearby Lowell Folk Festival (highly recommended to you locals, end of July). Charming personality, soulful performance, great communication with audience, lots of fun.
    I had to catch her backstage to have a quick chat to thank her!

Something like that.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    toomanycats and ronnx like this.
  3. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

My wife is half Portuguese. She would always talk about Fado music and we used to eat at an authentic Portuguese restaurant named O'Fado where they'd play the music live. Great way to spend a couple of hours.

fullonshred and toomanycats like this.

4. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

Never heard of it, but based on that video, I LIKE IT! :)

toomanycats likes this.
  5. Poodlesrule

Poodlesrule Well-Known Member

Flamenco, a whole different cloth, is not bad either.

Live it is a thrill. Singing and dancing rip!

Classical form is alive and well, I think and there is a new wave, venturing outside of the envelope, like Juanito Pascual, former Bostonian, Now West Coastian:

toomanycats likes this.
  6. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I dont really hear blues there but it is emotive. Very classical or flamenco to my ear. I would have called it a regional ethnic music. It is a neat different twist. I could certainly eat dinner listening to that.
    Very well done.

fullonshred and toomanycats like this.
  7. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

I didn't mean that it sounds like the blues in terms of tonality, musical structure, and so on, but rather that fado is inspired by a similar emotional state. Similar to fado, the blues is rooted in a "blue" state, one of melancholy and sadness.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    jam and nomadh like this.