FAKE Gibson Ace Frehley (Update)

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by elo, Jul 16, 2011.

1. MrValentine

MrValentine Active Member

well since its page eleven ill finally tune in...

I think that it doesnt matter where it was made or by whom, but the name on the headstock is misleading and that is wrong but if the owner likes it then more power to him but they really should change the headstock logo.

2. ihavenofish

ihavenofish Well-Known Member

ok, so, a few things....

its not illegal to own these. its not illegal to buy them under certain conditions. its not even illegal to resell them in the US under certain conditions.

you cannot end up in ay trouble just having one of these in your posession.

the only way you will end up in trouble is if you attempted to resell them in the US commercial - in which case you violate trademark - or if youy attempted to resell it AS a gibson - in which case its fraud.

as for the child labour, working conditions, etc etc, you cant generalise like that. most of those views are from 20 years ago. unless youve been to the factory making these, you have no idea what the conditions are and what the average age of the workers is.

you are just looking for justification to look down on the "fake" guitar. the funny thing is there are LOTS of reasons not to buy these - ask goldbonder - the ones you stated just arent included.

as for the person asking whether gibson can or cant do anything about it. they can, and have. its just very difficult to actually get something to charge them for in china. the trademarks often dont apply, so they need to nail them for fraud/counterfietting. in most cases, these websites clearly state they are replicas though, so its a challenge. they did shut down Musoland.com a while back with the owner being jailed (for 5 minutes anyway).

bassbubble and squierfanboi like this.
  3. elo

elo Active Member

Don't act like you know me because you don't!!!!

4. squierfanboi

squierfanboi Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight, Ihavenofish.

5. Overt1

Overt1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

in front of my still shiny new iMac. Problem?
    I know you bought a fake Gibson. I know that much!

6. MonkeysHamlet

MonkeysHamlet New Member

So why did you buy it? You know about Agile, Epiphone, Dillion, Jay Turser and the hundreds of other legally imported guitars. It's not like you don't have a thousand other options. I know you chose the least ethical option.

The people who make these guitars are criminals. There is a huge difference between people who make a legit product for export and what these guitars are. I don't know why the majority of people on this site dont get it. This is organized crime that you are supporting.

"as for the child labour, working conditions, etc etc, you cant generalise like that. most of those views are from 20 years ago. unless youve been to the factory making these, you have no idea what the conditions are and what the average age of the workers is."

I would say that you are more likely to find poorer working conditions in the factories that make these guitars than you are in the Epiphone factory. You disagree with that? These guitars cannot legally be imported into the US. They are already in blatent violation of laws. You guys can justify it all you want. But when customs confiscates your package they are not going to listen to one second of your bs arguments.

7. squierfanboi

are you fucking serious

never mind i got trolled

8. MonkeysHamlet

MonkeysHamlet New Member

If you want a car that looks like a Ferrari than you have a buy a Ferrari. They own the design. Same thing with a double cut lp junior. The reason is the same for everyone. They don't want to pony up the cash. That's not good enough.

I love having these debates and I hope nobody is taking anything personally.

9. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

I think at the very least, by posting this guitar you have helped us all out - if we are in the market for a bonafide Gibson and truly care that it has that pedigree, it will make us look that much more closely at what are buying.

All my guitars except my one single gibson that gets hardly any play, and the '64 Framus that also gets hardly any play are knock-offs of much higher priced guitars. I still manage to sleep very well at night. Am I proud of my Brand namers? YES. am I less proud of my "lesser" guitars? NO.

This thread goes to twelve.

10. elo

elo Active Member

I already stated my reasons, no need to repeat myself. I also own 11 guitars currently of various brands. If I want a shebly cobra I go buy a replica kit car. :grin:

11. squierfanboi

twelve? I'm still seeing 11 right now..
    GAS!
    7d0c0fe18109b8b2da63b1f64dd9891b.jpg
    http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/golden-3-close-pickups-bigsby-ricken-backer-330-electric-guitar-564/142512-2355772.html#

a22b13ddeeb4ea070cd7ae36532d397f.jpg
    http://www.tradetang.com/for-sale/2011-New-Arrival-ES335-Guitar-orange-Tiger-jazz-Electric-Guitar-mahogany-G/139292-2325444.html

12. ihavenofish

ihavenofish Well-Known Member

customs wont confiscate it, they have no right.... or interest.

13. Overt1

????

Contradictions.

You can't honestly tell me with a straight face that all those company's single cut design was original and derived nothing from Gibson's Les Paul. If you're saying that if one wants a Ferrari, then one should buy a Ferrari (nothing wrong there), then why are you not saying that if one wants a Les Paul guitar, one should buy a Gibson? Why are you suggesting that the OP should consider things like Agile or Jay Turser or wahtever, companies that clearly derived their designs from Gibson?

No they aren't. These guitars might be made in the same factory that is churning out SXes. These guitars are most likely made in the same factory that is churning out those noname brands on ebay. These people aren't criminals; they are just guitar makers. If they're criminals, then why didn't Gibson call the police on the guy who made Slash's original "Gibson" guitar? Why did they make a copy out of his copy instead?

[hr]
    That is a shitty flamed maple top. At that price, you're better off buying an AS 820.

14. jerryeakin

jerryeakin New Member

I always find it amusing that people get holier then thou over a fake gibson that everyone knows is a fake on a forum for a guitar company that sells Gibson knock offs. You guys bitch about this and yet still will around and buy an Agile which is a fake ****ing gibson. Agile is ripping Gibson off you own one you are ripping them off. They made tiny little changes so they could legally get around selling them. Their V's are also ripping off Jackson (Rhoads model, King v Model) fender strats, etc etc. So anyone who wants to get up on their high chair about this really should toss your agiles in the fire first otherwise your argument is invalid and you're just as much in the wrong as the person who bought the Chinese one. The only difference is the person who bought the Chinese one isn't LYING to themselves that it's a fake and a rip off of a Gibson.

If someone was trying to pass them off as actual gibsons then yea that's a problem. But no one bought anything thinking it was anything other then a copy. if your panties are really in that tight of a wad over it then maybe you should go outside and maybe pet a puppy or something. Lifes too short to get worked up over stupid shit like this.

squierfanboi likes this.
  15. Buddha Pickups

Buddha Pickups Well-Known Member

For anyone wondering, A LOT of these fakes are made at the Epi plant.
    I used to have a friend in China who visited most of the factories in China.
    He actually sent me some guitars, I still have my Rickenbacker copy I got from him.

squierfanboi likes this.
  16. Overt1

pix plz

17. MonkeysHamlet

MonkeysHamlet New Member

That is not a contradiction. If you want the real thing buy the real thing. If you don't want the real thing then don't buy the real thing. It was pretty cut and dry.

Prove to me that they are made in the same factory. Even if they are its still illegal.

Slash is promoting the brand. Most people don't know that he isn't playing a real Gibson. Clearly Gibson is allowing that. I'm sure Slash wouldn't care if he had to remove the Gibson logo from his guitar.

And the guy who saids these are made in the Epi plant. I don't beleive you for a second. Gibson owns the factory in China where Epiphones are made. They would not allow that to happen.

Put on your Mike shoes, Okeley sunglasses and your Romex watch and jam out on your Gobson if it makes you happy. But personally I just think it makes you a jackass.

18. Overt1

It is a contradiction. You're telling people to get the real thing, and at the same time, telling to OP to consider "Agile, Epiphone, Dillion, Jay Turser." Why consider those at all since they aren't the "real thing?" There is only 1 real thing: Gibson. You contradicted yourself.

And Slash promoting the brand with his fake Gibson? That's the reason why you think Gibson allows Slash to keep playing his fake Gibson? Okay, then elo here is promoting Gibson with his Gibsun. I'm sure he wouldn't care either if he removed the Gibson name from his headstock. Why wouldn't Gibson allow that to happen? Free promotion, right? And if you really think Gibson is allowing Slash to promote their brand, then why didn't they just give him a real Gibson right from the start?

19. M J

M J New Member

Because they'd probably charge him too much.

Is there any possibility you guys can agree to disagree and let it go? I'm fairly certain that if you kick a dead horse long enough it's still a dead horse.

ercaduceus likes this.
  20. Overt1

nah, its fun to debate. Especially about Gibsuns.