Fernandes Guitar

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by Robert Mickinak, Oct 12, 2019 at 2:51 PM.

1. Robert Mickinak

Robert Mickinak New Member

Hi my grandfather recently passed away and he had several guitars that we split amongst family. I took this Fernandes and I know pretty much nothing about guitars and was wondering if anyone has an idea as to the model of this guitar and possible value its in pretty decent shape, but low end will do. Its more out of curiosity than anything he always told my gram he bought the guitars cheap but I know what he spent on some of them. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

Any shots of the headstock, front and back? Any identifying print and a serial number would help.

I don’t recognize that model off hand.

3. golem

golem Well-Known Member

The more expensive guitars from this brand will have sustainer systems and Duncan pickups. So I can tell you this is one of the cheaper ones.

andrewsrea likes this.

4. rrobbone

Fernandes Native. A serial number would help us find it's year and how it was spec'd. It does look like an inexpensive model.

I've never seen one of those...

Looks like Reverb.com says $200 - $300 range is the going used price - or $400 to $500 range if it has a sustainer pickup.

5. Robert Mickinak

Robert Mickinak New Member

Here are sime more pics

Attached Files:

6. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your Granddad. Sounds like you have a keepsake!

7. rrobbone

Fernandes (and Burny) are notorious for being difficult to date, because the factory didn't keep records. From what I understand, the 3 in the serial number indicates it was made in Korea or Taiwan.

This is based on an assumption that some enthusiasts of the brand have pieced together, I don't know that it's accurate. Sometimes the date ws stamped on the inside of the neck heel - again, this is an assumption going by their sleuthing - but it's worth a look if the suspense is killing you.

However, now that you have the brand and model name you can look it up on Reverb.com to get an appoximate valuation. Run a search for the guitar. On the page that follows, type this into the address bar at the end: "&showsold=true" (no spaces, no quotation marks). Then hit enter. You should be shown all examples of that model that have been posted, whether they sold or were ended by the seller. Keep in mind, this page will not show the selling prices - it will only show what the seller was asking initially.

Good luck. I only know this info due to once owning a Fernandes Vertigo that I did some research about. Never found anything to hint at it's origins.

fullonshred and tobijohn like this.