NGD Firefly ($140 Mic 335 Clone (?) From Amazon)

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by voodoorat, Jul 10, 2018.

1. voodoorat

voodoorat Well-Known Member

I got the sunburst finish one for $140 off Amazon on kind of a whim and it arrived today.

It was in a box very much like the Rondo box my 3010SE came in, but less well packed (it was just kinda loosely wrapped and the various bits of styrofoam had shifted around). It was undamaged though. There was one minor blemish in the black on back of the neck heel where a small bit of paint had been rubbed off but I don't think it happened in transit, and otherwise the finish looks good. I saw no obvious flaws in the binding or in the finish aside from that one spot, there is no scratching or scoring on the body or neck finish otherwise. The fingerboard was incredibly dry and drank up a bunch of oil and looks like it probably could use some more, I'll re-oil it next time I change the strings. The fingerboard wood (it looks like rosewood but I dunno) has a couple of rough spots around the 9th-11th frets but nothing that nothing that would affect playability, just noticeable when you're looking closely at the fingerboard.

The strings that came on it were apparently D'Addarios judging by the ends, but they were kinda dead and pretty crusty so they got swapped out. Not certain what gauge they were but I think 010, I put a set of super slinky EB 009's on it instead. Nut, bridge, tailpiece, and tuners are all cheap but seem serviceable. I took the pickups out to see but it seems like splicing a new set of pickups in would be kinda a pain in the ass (there's not much slack in the wire), so I think I'm going to see if I can live with these. Preliminary impression is that they're OK--not great, but not horrible. The black speed knobs/pots seem to be at slightly different angles which sets off my OCD a little but not too bad. The fret ends aren't bad--I can feel them, the neck is obviously not as well-polished as like a PRS, but all things considered I'm pretty happy with it. Setup was pretty good, the action could probably be a hair lower, but it's comfortable and the intonation is pretty much spot on.

The body shape looks a little different to me, the horns seem to be a little less rounded than the pictures on Amazon or than a real 335. Fortunately I'm only passingly familiar with the 335 anyway so that doesn't bother me much, and I could be wrong anyway. I was surprised by how small the body is compared to the Gretsch G5420T I got a while back. When I had the strings off and took off the bridge and the tailpiece, they felt kinda light and cheap.

Pickups sound okay at low volume, will probably be a while before I can try them at higher volume--I have a feeling it's going to be very prone to feedback screeching though. Tuners were a little wobbly when I took the strings off and could be smoother, but they did the trick and since I got the new strings on it it seems to be holding tune fine. If I wind up keeping this for an extended period of time (not sure if I will--I really don't have a ton of use for it) I'll probably swap them out for some slightly less cheap tuners. It feels less... substantial than any of my other electric guitars in that it's pretty light--the body is only about as thick as the Les Paul Tribute or the PRS Zach Myers.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with it considering the price. I'm not sure I'll keep it forever since I'm not sure if I have a particular use for it, but I don't regret getting it and I'm not going to send it back to Amazon. It also came with a bag of junk: An instrument cable, a little stick-on pick case thing, and a handful of picks (along with the allen wrench to adjust the truss rod). I think it's also supposed to come with a strap, but mine didn't have one. That's okay, it looked pretty ugly.

stevebway, Gergo, andrewsrea and 4 others like this.
  2. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

I don't believe you

stevebway, STACKS, Manodano and 5 others like this.
  3. voodoorat

You found this before I opened it on my phone to add the pics!

4bd3bfce1f1647f15448e581c56c4447.jpg

8f40fc3da1a51078868308653ae76728.jpg

8990f5a786d9783467c6eed87b58cbd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty Leo, stevebway, MarkW and 5 others like this.

4. snarph

snarph Well-Known Member

none on the site has not been any in quite a wile

5. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

6. voodoorat

playing it, it feels pretty good. the fingerboard was filthy, though, even after oiling and cleaning it my fingers still look like this after playing.

4f6a686f8380af45b1cd5c1094d2b8c0.jpg

7. PsychoCid

I believe that's stain.

voodoorat likes this.
  8. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Playable and makes guitarry noises at that price is a win! Looks pretty sharp - I especially like the trap inlays on this style - what's the weight like?

I didn't mean to be a dick - ok just a little:whistle:

happy new guitar day

toomanycats, voodoorat and PsychoCid like this.
  9. voodoorat

@tvvoodoo it's pretty light--lighter than the prs se zach myers but heavier than the prs se custom 22 semi-hollow was; bathroom scale rough approx is ~7 lbs.

PsychoCid likes this.
  10. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mine came today as well. VooDooRat's report is dead on, but I would generally say I probably like mine more than he seems to likes his. I'm really happy with it.

Neck profile and width, nut, fretwork, tuners, knobs, setup, fit and finish - out of the box and after an hour of playing I give these the thumbs up.

I haven't adjusted the pickups yet, and I agree, they sound OK, not great. If I swap 'em out I might go for humbucker shaped P90's.

My fingers turned black as well - no big deal.

I liked the bonus "box candy": cable and picks and the truss rod wrench.

Biggest negative: I'm pretty sure the bridge and tailpiece are cheap pot metal or maybe even plastic - these gotta go.

Otherwise, this is a real nice guitar right out of the box. Here's mine (plastic still on it). Looks just like VooDooRat's:

IMG_1669.JPG

IMG_1670.JPG

Lefty Leo, dabbler, Lamf77 and 6 others like this.
  11. OMB

OMB Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Congrats- don't touch the linen!

12. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

HNGD! Sounds great for $140. Was that $140 shipped?

FYI: that residue on your fingers is cheap stain to darken the fingerboard. Clean it and oil it with a dark oil.

13. voodoorat

@andrewsrea yep, $140 (no tax) was shipped price along with the cable and picks. it's not perfect but i'm pretty impressed with how decent it plays and sounds for that price. really eager to see what my buddy who's a more casual player (not that i'm a professional or anything, but he's a relatively new player and doesn't know that much about different guitar styles etc yet) thinks about how it plays and feels. i cleaned it and oiled it some more (it drank up everything i put on it) and it isn't discoloring my fingers any longer, and feels pretty good. there are a couple of spots where there's a strange smooth texture to the fingerboard on the 9th and 11th frets, maybe some glue got on it or something, not sure. but yeah, i'm pretty happy with it for the price. took the poker chip off, may put on some black top hat knobs instead of these speed knobs.

11b343ed0ae8177ad76d50de0a718dc0.jpg

Lamf77 and andrewsrea like this.
  14. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member

how come no one posted links?

I do a search and get everything from AMOON to Gretsch

but nothing with firefly anywere in the actual ad.......

15. voodoorat

@mindwave sorry it was in the original feeding frenzy thread, but here's a link to the listing for the one i got (oos now though): link

16. Geoffrey Charles

Geoffrey Charles Well-Known Member

Grats Gents!

17. PsychoCid

What about the Grote brand for $200?

18. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

Whats the back look like? Any access cover? Thanks.

19. voodoorat

Nothin but a gorgeous pair of legs.

4d9259b706f4a33acac2ec5f04e15d2a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lefty Leo, Partscaster and jam like this.
  20. notme

notme Well-Known Member

FWIW I found the seller on facebook, not much on the page but its there....
    Firebird Music Co.,Ltd

voodoorat likes this.