First Act Project

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by cottonmike, Aug 3, 2018.

1. cottonmike

cottonmike Active Member

20180802_041154.jpg

Didn't know what I was going to find underneath all of that poly, blue paint, and-the brick wall-sanding sealer. God that stuff is tough.

Anyway, a very nice 3 piece basswood body. I was all set to do some kind of creative paint rub thing, but I really can't bring myself to put paint on it. The three pieces are remarkably well matched, somehow. The grain is pretty. Ed Roman wrote that you couldn't really do a natural on basswood because it's so ugly, but I think I'm going to have to do tru oil.

When wet, it turns a deep, dark red color.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    dbrian66, jtcnj, Lamf77 and 6 others like this.
  2. cottonmike

cottonmike Active Member

Fa

dbrian66 likes this.
  3. ronnx

ronnx Well-Known Member

Go for it, Mike.

dbrian66 likes this.

4. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

How did you manage to get it stripped so cleanly without damaging the basswood?

dbrian66 likes this.
  5. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Shit when I sanded my ME whatever, I swear it was an eight piece body --- you go!

dbrian66 likes this.
  6. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

That looks great!

dbrian66 likes this.
  7. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

I trust you when you say it's basswood, but if I didn't know any better I'd think that was a nicely grained ash body.

dbrian66, andrewsrea and tobijohn like this.
  8. cottonmike

cottonmike Active Member

With my mouse sander, Brother. #50 and 80 in my hot AZ garage over the course of a week. About 15 lps and a bucket of sweat. Great therapy for me too. (Seriously).

Another interesting note: I re shaped the contours of the body completely, shortening and changing the shape of the horn and rolling all of the edges. I swear this wood was/is still green. It was extremely heavy. I would grind on it for a while with the hand sander, and it would be like working with clay. After 20 minutes or so, the sander would bog down completely. So I would leave it the hot garage for 24-48 hours, start back on it and it would sand and shape beautifully for another session. Repeat X 4.

The same was true with my Callisto. That guitar has spent a large part of this AZ summer in the garage. Now, when I lay the SX in my lap and tap the center of the fret board with a finger nail, the sound comes from out of the center of the body. It's sounds like a percussion instrument.

9. cottonmike

cottonmike Active Member

Water only. This thing was a completely flat block of wood. It had a belly cut but no forearm rest. The horn was pointy and sweeping downward in shape more.

These guitars are perfect for a JR. project. I went and snagged another one at the pawn for 15$. I like the shape of them. The contours became very pleasing once I became a little familiar with them. Necks are fine-straight and heavy. One of them has some birds eye in the maple.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    PsychoCid and Partscaster like this.
  10. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I also think that's so nice I doubt its basswood. You got a very rare thing there and you should showit off.

11. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I would have to find that process extremely therapeutic to even consider it. As it is, it sounds like a mini version of hell, or at least Purgatory. It looks great though...

jtcnj likes this.
  12. 50 amp fuse

50 amp fuse Member

Actually really good mod projects. I've yet to run across a plywood FA. And yea you aint kidding about that sealer! I chemically strip mine then sand to finish. Must be about a pound of poly and sealer on those puppies. Got a ME 474 on the bench now, although the book match not nearly as nice as that one. Still haven't decided on a color yet. Wanna help a fella out?

Attached Files:

13. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

PsychoCid and andrewsrea like this.
  14. 50 amp fuse

50 amp fuse Member

15. cottonmike

cottonmike Active Member

You made me laugh out loud! You're so right about all of it. It's a great way to do a toxic-body dump, though I must say. Makes my coffee work better. We, here in AZ, we're a little different. And, summertime in AZ has it's own set of rules, unique to the rest of the world. Here are a few:

The 11 o'clock rule: "Any outdoor task not completed by !! o'clock, automatically goes to the next day". (Bosses and wives, be damned).

The parking lot rule: "Pedestrians have a 20 yard right of way when crossing in front of any moving vehicle the they will intersect with. Do not cross before them if it will cause them to hesitate for even one step".

Car battery warranty period rule: "24 months= 18 months, tops. Don't count on the 24 or you're going to be stranded in hell".

There many more.

It's a great way to do a toxic-body dump, though I must say. Makes my coffee work better.

tobijohn likes this.
  16. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

You are fortunate for that wood. I once sanded an SX photo flame top to the wood and it was made out of 8 pieces of unmatched wood. I say don’t cover the grain, but that’s just me does not look like basswood to me.

17. cottonmike

cottonmike Active Member

I love the head stock fix. I will do that as well. The one on the bottom photo, mahogany? And the one your doing now, is that primer? What did the wood look like?

I went the chemical route on the one I just got last week. Still stripping through the viscous sealer. So far I what I can see now, the top looks very light, and very plain. It wasn't nearly as heavy as the first one, and the grain seems to be layed parallel. I'm guessing poplar. Soon to find out.

I've a question. I plan to go full JR on the first one at least, and probably both. What am I in for going from the flat strat type bridge to a wrap tailpiece? I'm going to need some elevation as well as some more tilt angle, am I not?

18. 50 amp fuse

50 amp fuse Member

Yea the sealer really doesn't get effected by the lye based stripper much. Just softens it and makes for a mess. That's why I finish with sanding. Plus its thick enough to give you some nice shaping and leveling. The one I'm doing at the moment is in black primer and ready for paint. Smooth as a babies butt. But with all the fires and ash in the air where I'm at I'm hesitant to finish at the moment. As to bridge swaps? Unless one of the low pros on the SFA or custom shop models then its not an issue. Using a Schaller stop tail roller on this one and it looks to be the same height as the stock el cheapo. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Doubt it will be a problem though. Kind of the fun part with screwing around with these budget guitars. Never know till you try it. You don't even want to know who I got those hot wound P90's from and what they would have originally been destined for. Lets just say there were only a few made.

19. 50 amp fuse

50 amp fuse Member

Almost forgot. Tell me this don't look good 20171028_164323.jpg

jtcnj likes this.
  20. cottonmike

cottonmike Active Member

Oh, hell yes. Nice swope. did you do the binding/trim?