Flea Market,yard Sale, Pawnshop And Local Finds 2018 Only

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by mozz, May 5, 2018.

1. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Oh well, since i didn't see a thread i created it.

Today's death metal accessory is brought to you by BOSS, maker of the famous HM-2.

Well, i didn't know what it exactly was when i first saw it, just saw a guitar pedal at the flea market and asked the guy how much, $2 was the reply. I didn't even look at it, actually thought it was a Metal zone pedal which i have seen for sale many times, but hey, for $2 i could not pass. When i got home i looked it up on Google and it seems to have a cult following due to some Swedish death metal bands using it back when.

This happens to be a Taiwan version not the Japan but searches tell me they are the same board and circuit, cap makers have changed during the course of it's production span. Heaviest i have ever listened to is early Black Sabbath but will give it a jam when time permits.

Also picked up a $30 candy apple red Squier, gig bag, strap, tuner, etc. Could not pass on that one either, appears to have about 1 hour play time, a few nicks. One set of handwound pickups and it will join the stable, i have about 10 strat copies now, time to slow down on that addiction.

20180505_154627.jpg 20180505_160314.jpg

2. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

LOL I glanced right over the picture and thought it was a Metal Zone as well. Nice scores for good prices!

despiadado and mozz like this.
  3. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Nice haul! I can't believe you got an HM-2 for $2. The cheapest one on Reverb is $140. I got one of them pretty cheap a while back and like you, read that they were pretty iconic. Once I plugged in and tested it I couldn't understand why they're so sought after. Seemed pretty unremarkable to me.

Nice Squier, too!

mozz likes this.

4. mozz

These pedals nail that Swedish death metal sound (or so they say) when everything is turned all the way up. I have never tuned a guitar even to e-flat. I have no idea what a buzzsaw guitar sounds like, but will have to find a few videos. Yeah, i saw the prices, will have to keep my eyes open now.

Also read that Eric Clapton and Jerry Garcia actually used these, but most likely not fully dimed.

5. warped

warped Well-Known Member

A nice Squier for 30 bucks. The pedal i probably would've passed on because I'm not a pedal guy so.....I have no idea what it's capable of.

mozz likes this.
  6. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

For two dollars, I could make an exception :)

7. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Yeah, boss pedals that cheap are not something I'd pass up either.

despiadado and mozz like this.
  8. mozz

Picked up a Crate g60 solid state for $20 this weekend. I only wanted it for the cabinet and Celesion speaker, one of my Ubuyguitar deluxe chassis now has a home. Not quite a a true deluxe, it is really a Pro-lux, has a pair of 5881 outputs, 5u4gb rectifier, 2 12ax7's. Getting better with the router, the cutout for the tweed style chassis came out fairly nice.

These speakers, G12M70, supposedly are ho-hum in the Celesion world. They came stock on a lot of JCM800 combo's and in a bunch of Carvin cabinets so they can't be totally bad. My latest trick is to run the speaker on Scumback's (and webers) breakin
    procedure. He uses a variac at a low voltage, it will total 1/3 of the speakers regular wattage rating, run it for 2-3 hours, let it cool for a hour. Repeat. Of all brands, he said Celesions take the longest to break in, hence people often swap them out way too early. I need to get some guinea pig speakers that the customers don't like, are harsh or ice-picky, run them through the breakin and see if it helps.

20180528_163806.jpg 20180528_163836.jpg

SamIV, JeffBeck, Manodano and 3 others like this.
  9. Ed Henry

Ed Henry Well-Known Member

It seems to be getting harder to find deals. I look at Facebook Marketplace and craigslist everyday. It's like the used resale music items are getting more expensive. When you do see a deal you have to jump right on it. I've got enough guitars and equipment so I might have to find something else to do in my spare time.

10. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

In my area it seems to be the opposite. I watch those here too and items just aren't selling, even after reducing their prices a time or two. Some prices are optimistic at the start. Other sellers taking this Q sometimes put items up for as much as half comparable prices. Those items ,often but not always, are gone in a day. I'm seeing the pricing index crumble more across the board as summer approaches. Honestly many items are listed significantly above actual sale prices. I think you feel the same way most people do. We all have enough "stuff" unless the deal is just soooo good you can't resist. The worst places to find deals are now guitar center and "pawn shops". I've seen pawn shops list used guitars in poor condition for more than new and they say they will only discount as much as 20%. These businesses list on Craigslist too and it becomes obvious when multiple photos with the same background pop up.

Good news is the market is so over saturated, to sell quickly or at all, an item needs to be listed low in price. I predict we are going to see some amazing deals as people are more eager to clear out their closet, than sit around waiting for a maximum return. Only high profile high end or vintage gear seems to warrant more stable pricing still. But I wonder how much longer before that bubble pops too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  11. golem

golem Well-Known Member

In my area there are deals to be had, but it's usually because people can't be bothered for one reason or another. Posting horrible pictures. Not describing things adequately, answering questions, or even explaining what model of * they have. Or they just want it sold today and they sell it at a price where it will be gone by the end of the day.

12. stormin1155

stormin1155 Well-Known Member

Here's mine... Crate CA30D acoustic amp...$40. The guy had bought it for his girlfriend, but she didn't like it because it didn't match her living room décor. Matches mine perfectly. Also got the Squier Strat for $40. It is one of the Indonesian Standard models with the matching headstock, 2-point trem, stainless saddles, alnico pickups... a good player. One can always use another strat…. this one I keep tuned to Eb.
    [​IMG]

stevebway, jimytheassassin and mozz like this.
  13. chimi42

chimi42 Well-Known Member

Got a text from my mom’s boyfriend a few days ago with a picture of this guitar asking me if I want it for a VERY reasonable price. The answer was yes.

C6D79CE5-470B-497C-9DED-901606076BE5.jpeg

14. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Depends on whats a very reasonable price? Hopefully thats not any serious vintage piece. Reasonable for a 59 paul would still be out of my range for instance. Certainly like right of first refusal. Hope the deal works. That does look very sweet.

15. hatchmusic

hatchmusic Well-Known Member

I have one of those HM-2 pedals since the 80s. Bought it new when I was young and didn’t quite know what I was buying. I think I bought it just because it said heavy metal on it.

There is probably one or two ok tones on it but otherwise it’s fun pedal to play. All knobs on ten gives a good chainsaw sound.

16. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm having yard sale withdrawal. It rained around here every weekend during peak yard sale season and there just haven't been any sales to go to.

I always score big in April - and I have for twenty years - without traveling out of my neighborhood. Not this year, though. The only thing I've grabbed in 2018 is a Crate Acoustic Amp just like the one in the previous post for $25 at a yard sale about a mile from my house. It sort of smelled like it had been stored next to a lawnmower, and it was most unloved, but when I got it home and cleaned it up, it looked and worked like new. Also included in the deal was a real high end Monster guitar cable. I like to play my Dobro through that amp.

My area of Nashville is right between Vanderbilt, Belmont, and David Lipscomb colleges, so in the Spring there's lots of sales where the mostly entitled kids unload all the music gear Dad bought them that they can't cram in their car or get on the plane when they clear out for the summer. Most of the time they are hung over and desperate to get the deal done, and I'm usually happy to help a poor kid out. The rain messed up their plans this year, and I bet those kids ditched most of that stuff in the dumpster. Dammit.

Later on in the summer there's usually a couple of aging hipsters like me that have an annual sale where we unload the stuff we've accumulated and sell stuff back and forth between each other. Those are fun. Our wives hate 'em, though.

Here's a yard sale tip from a hard core, lifelong music gear scrounger: shoot first and ask questions later. Buying stuff at a yard sale is as close to gambling as I ever get. But you gotta move fast.

If I see something attractive and cheap, I quickly and quietly lay claim to it. Then I take a minute to size up the deal. If I change my mind after a minute, then I just lay the item back down. I hate it when some joker grabs a yard sale prize out from under me. And I don't annoy the seller with a bunch of nickle and dime bartering, either. I meet their price or might make a firm offer, but just one offer and I don't budge off of it. And I almost always ask the seller if there's more of the same they'd like to sell, maybe still inside the house. I've been surprised many times by the things a wife makes her husband fetch out of the house and sell to me just because I asked.

I also spend less than sixty seconds at most sales, because it only takes a minute to determine if there's anything of interest there or not. Hell, sometimes I just do a slow drive-by. A lot of the yard sales I go to have no music related gear in them, and I move on quickly.

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    adad and mozz like this.
  17. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

chimi42: Please go rescue that DeArmond from the garage. I can't bear to think it's going to end up smelling like tires.

Whenever I find a guitar that looks like a blind man restrung it, I know I'm gonna be able to get it cheap.

And man, if the seller was my mom's boyfriend, I'd stare at him eye-to-eye - just to let him know that you know what he's up to - for as long as it takes to make him real uncomfortable. In short order he'd beg me to take the guitar without me having to say a word. That's the same way I used to size up/shake up my daughter's boyfriends.

Jaymo likes this.
  18. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

strange - i thought "black matches everything". Nice fiddle.

19. mozz

This weekend's find was a wood planer. $30 I actually went to go look at a cheap router table and some bits, bought that then stopped at a yard sale about 1 mile away. I have been looking into these but didn't want to pay the going price. This is a Central Machinery unit, (harbor freight) but close to 20 years old. It appears on a list of known good deals from HF and not quite as junky as a lot of their tools with motors. It's 100 lbs and appears fairly well built. I need a nice metal table now to mount it on.

Looks like it was used once or twice. Blades are like new. I did a little leveling on the extensions and rollers. Checked the belts and chains. I ran a few 3/4" boards through it and they are nice, no chatter. It makes a pile of shavings.

I am going to go see the 85 year old guy down the road who bought one of those gas powered sawmills. If he can cut me 4/4 pine i can plane them down to 3/4". He usually sells stuff half of the Home depot prices. Cabinet building will commence once i practice on box joints. If i can squeeze a 2" telecaster body through 12 1/2" i might even try that.

20180603_193540.jpg

20. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I was thinking no deals for me but it was about a month ago my wife got me to a church rummage sale. A couple 1/4" cords for a buck each. 1 a monster cable. There was a 30 W student bass amp I skipped with a snare holder. Then I saw it. A pro grade mic stand. I've had an old round bottom boom for years but bought a $30 GC special 2 years ago. It stripped out/locked up within the 45 day warranty. So I went for their $70 mid grade otherwise known as "bare minimum". This one was a pro grade older tripod boom. Older model, worn in but super sturdy with 100 years life left. I was hoping to get it for $20. My wife was buying a few fish tank heaters along with my 2 cables. The guy said a dollar each thing. I said no, I'm getting the mic stand. He said yea, a buck each. I paid for the heaters and donated an extra 10 or 15. But I'm thrilled I could have got it for $1 . For some reason? I call it my $1 stand. It really is great.

jimytheassassin likes this.