Gfs Les Paul Jr Special Build

Discussion in 'Project Depot' started by Powertrip240, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Powertrip240

Powertrip240 Well-Known Member

This one might take a bit longer than my last project, all I have so far is the body. So for now, I'm just bookmarking my place. I'll add more details as I go along. For now, here's what I got.

IMG_6923.JPG IMG_3220.JPG IMG_9876.JPG

It's got a couple small dents and dings, but nothing terrible. It also has a few extra holes. The previous owner had mounted a strat neck on it, along with a hardtail type bridge.

IMG_6666.JPG IMG_1520.JPG

It looks like it also had a little DIY neck shim.

IMG_4815.JPG IMG_2136.JPG

As of now, I'm undecided on what color/finish I'll be using. It's all mahogany, and it does have some decent grain pattern.

I'll be using a GFS Les Paul neck.

glasshand, Bullcat and Lamf77 like this.
  2. Powertrip240

OK, it's done.

tvy.jpg

J/K. But this is my inspiration. I'm going with TV Yellow. No it's time to study up on how to reproduce this color.

From the Warmoth website:
    "TV Yellow is a classic and much-loved color in the world of guitars. It is instantly recognizable, yet frustratingly difficult to reproduce. It is a moving target that can range from off-white or beige, to pale mustard yellow (with perhaps the slightest hint of green), to almost butterscotch. While at first glance it may appear opaque, it is actually slightly translucent, meaning its appearance will also depend, to some degree, on the color of the wood beneath it."

Anybody with experience in this field, please feel free to chime in.

3. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Everytime I I see one of these special JRs I think of the scene in X-files where Mulder flashes his badge and says they are special agents. The guy belligerently screams back at him "WHATS SO SPECIAL ABOUT YOU!" Couldn't find a meme for it. It was funny.

4. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I think of tv yellow as more this?
    103160bd202aadc4dca2314db137267a.jpg

glasshand, Lamf77, tvvoodoo and 2 others like this.
  5. cottonmike

cottonmike Well-Known Member

Just for a reference to think about, a few of my experiences with this SX Callisto project:

Had a TSB Callisto that was heavy as a rock. Wanted something that was Melody Maker ish.

Lost 15 lbs in June leaning on a mouse sander, effectively reducing the thickness of the SX.

I wanted to do a blue burst thing, with hand applied dyes. Could not get anything to come out right.

Then, I said the hell with it. I mixed a really thinned out shade of turquoise blue paint, and just proceeded to hand rub, against the grain, several applications of the thinned blue.

Between 2-3 applications, I started to notice that the paint was catching on in certain areas, not so much in others, all according to the grain pattern. It really started to take a natural form.

I realized in the middle of all this, that I just have a hard time covering up grain with paint. I want to be able to feel and see the grain, then seal it with a light finish. The figure in mahogany is beautiful, like almost all mahogany I have ever seen. The challenge comes with dealing with the 3 piece bodies. I wanted to get a symmetrically correct hand rubbed burst, but found it was impossible. So then, I realized that the beauty is to just let the wood accentuate itself.

This was nothing close to what I had in my head when I was losing all that weight, shredding SX wood. But, here in lies the gratitude we discover in committing to a project, then bringing it into completion.

I finished the SX body with tru-oil. It brought a nice yellowing to go along with the candy blue. I am going with Firebird pickups from Amazon (Snake Oil-25$), and will have ivory colored P-90 adapter rings and ivory knobs. I think the white will accent the blue and yellow really well.

Have fun with your project, man. It's going to be cool to see how it all ends up.

Peace,

Michael

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Believer, MicahC, stevebway and 2 others like this.
  6. bygdaddy

bygdaddy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When you find out let the agile and sx manufacturers know because they don’t have a clue from what I’ve seen.

tvvoodoo, nomadh and Powertrip240 like this.
  7. Powertrip240

Yeah, there's lots of different shades. If you do a Google Images search for "Gibson TV Yellow", you'll see all the different variances.

Capture.JPG

8. Powertrip240

That is a beaut!! I thought about going with a more natural finish, but there's just something iconic about the TV Yellow. I've been wanting to do a hand rubbed blue burst as well, but this just isn't the guitar for it.

9. Powertrip240

From what I've read so far, a lot of the different variants in shades is determined by whether or not you use a white primer before applying the yellow. TV Yellow is actually supposed to be a translucent finish, allowing the grain to show through. One method I read says to use a white primer first, then open the and fill the grain, then apply the yellow, then clear. Another one says to apply a few coats of yellow, then grian fill, then another coat of yellow, then clear. Methinks that without the white primer, you're going to get a more natural, muted shade of yellow, like the pic that @nomadh posted above. It blends the yellow with the actual color of the mahogany. With a white primer as the base, you get more of the actual yellow, a brighter shade. Of course, I'm speaking with zero experience so far, so YMMV, IMHO, ABC, 123, etc, etc. I think I'll be doing the method with the white primer.

bygdaddy likes this.
  10. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Yes, yes and yes. Wood grain is sexy.
    Need some better pix of that callisto

Powertrip240 likes this.
  11. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

Yep.

TV Yellow was Gibson's response to their white guitars causing problems with Black & White Television (remember those) broadcasts. They would catch the studio ligts and cause the picture to glare out. Plus, they looked grey if they did not glare out.

It was originally a 'limewash,'which was for Gibson, a yellowish translucent sealer (not really lime mineral and water like 1800's limewash). It was typically the underlay for opaque finishes. For Fender, their sealer became the 'Mary Kay' fiinsh around the same time, which was white-grey (did not work on B&W TV).

My favorites from this technique are the early 50's Tele Butterscotch or a 58 LP Special I saw, which had discolored with Amber and Green tints. Wood grain would not be apparent from the audience, but can be seen by the player. Really cool finish.

12. tvvoodoo

tvvoodoo Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

Cheering you on this is only going to confuse you but necessary reading

https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?197257-Gibson-s-50-s-TV-Yellow-Method

My approach would be this: sand to 220, brush out the pores, wet down to raise fuzzies twice, and shoot a super light coat of cream or white primer. Seal with a light barrier coat of untinted wax free shellac. Pore fill with a walnut coloured grain filler. Super light mist coats of whatever shade paint you want, 'til you are happy, either that or probably better yet: highly thinned paint applied in layers 'til you are happy. Clearcoat.

Powertrip240 likes this.
  13. Powertrip240

That sounds very do-able. It's fairly similar to this method:
    https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/2014/08/04/spraying-a-gibson-style-tv-yellow-finish/

14. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Some think the tv finish is because it was so popular on furniture of the time
    ad4a7c3cbcf726f484469c573afec4ea.jpg
    Especially TVs

15. Powertrip240

Whoa. From the Way Back! Even before the invention of the 'clicker'.

My grandparents always had one of those console TVs. I spent many hours sitting on the Davenport watching it!

Tiga, nomadh and MicahC like this.
  16. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

And I was watching from the divan. Sometimes kick my feet up on the ottoman

17. Tiga

Tiga Well-Known Member

My Grandmother called it a Davenport too! I miss her....

Powertrip240 likes this.
  18. Powertrip240

So it's been a while since I've even thought about doing anything with this project, but I made a little bit of progress yesterday. I bought myself a pneumatic sander a couple weeks ago, and yesterday decided to give it a try on the body of this guitar. I got the back sanded down to bare wood. It really has some nice grain, that's going to look great when I do the grain opening procedure. I've decided I'm going to do the same staining process that I did on the ESP refinishing project I did a few months ago. It's going to be Barn Red, with a dark filled grain, then a wipe-on gloss poly.

Here's a few pics:
    s2.jpg s1.jpg s3.jpg
    s4.jpg s5.jpg

19. Powertrip240

Hell, I can't decide on a color, so I've decided I'm not going to decide.....yet. I'm going to wait until after I do the grain filling, and see what it looks like. If it turns out as well as I'm hoping, I might just do a Tru-oil finish over the filled grain. My last project was basswood, this one is mahogany. I don't know how much of a difference that'll make as far as the grain.

Tiga likes this.
  20. cottonmike

cottonmike Well-Known Member

That's a good call. I see very nice looking grain.

I think tru oil over mahogany looks great.

Mossman and Powertrip240 like this.