GFS Xtrem

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Lawrie, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Lawrie

Lawrie Active Member

Just installed a GFS Xtrem/Roller Bridge on my STL-Ash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Generally, it works very well. The guitar stays in tune and it's easier to string then the Bigsby that's on my other guitar. The roller bridge adds quite a bit of height, so shimming the neck is necessary and the bridge pickup is raised as much as it will go.

GFS does not send instructions or templates of any kind, which meant that I had to spend quite a bit of time lining things up and making sure the bridge was in the right place for intonation purposes. In end, I did get a good set up.

I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces at a couple of jam sessions this week.

tomringg, Jofa, vbar and 4 others like this.
  2. LookingDownTheCross

LookingDownTheCross Well-Known Member

Looks good man, I was wondering about those.
    :thumbup:

3. crmartin

crmartin Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I bought one of those for my Furrian. The roller bridge/plate is much shorter than the stock one, so I think I may install it using the stock bridge/plate and filing some grooves in it so the strings don't hit on the lip. Not sure if it will work though.

4. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Good work & way to jump in.

I'm tempted to do a bridge plate swap on an SX, but am worried about misaligning the ashtray type.

5. vbar

vbar Active Member

Looks great, nice install. How do you like the handle? My Epiphone Swingster has a Chet handle, which I've come to much prefer over the flat handle. It's very responsive to any input, much more than the flat Bigsby handle. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on one of these for my sx tele.

6. Lawrie

Lawrie Active Member

I haven't noticed that much of a difference in "feel" when compared to the flat Bigsby handle, although the rounded handle is nice. Here's what I do notice:

The Xtrem spring is stiffer and longer, causing the handle to sit higher. The higher handle height allows for more travel but it's something I'll have to get used to. I could install the spring spacer that came with the Bigsby if I wanted to replicate the Xtrem's handle height, feel, and travel. As to the Xtrem's spring's stiffness, it will probably soften up over time as my Bigsby did.

vbar likes this.