Gibson Says You've Been Warned

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by kirobhan, Jun 14, 2019.

1. kirobhan

kirobhan Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Not sure how to take this video. They're just stating the Gibson status quo on copyright infringement/counterfeits but a bit strange to be posted to a YouTube channel primarily intended for marketing by the new director of brand experience. I would think the vast majority of watchers are not the intended target of this message. Maybe I'm wrong just seems strange. What do you think?

2. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

seems like a psychopath

3. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Do you have any insight as to why the term sociopath was discarded in favor of Psychopath? I am sure wikipedia would tell me but then this post would be pointless.

4. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

Agnesi has jumped aboard the Corporate shill boat. Hope they're paying well.

5. Mickey

Mickey Gandalf the Intonationer

I'd bet their attorney(s) told Gibson to do it.

Lefty Leo and kirobhan like this.
  6. peskypesky

ce792f8d15c82c90671f0a898d6a4193.jpg

7. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

8. peskypesky

hilarious!

kirobhan likes this.
  9. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

I thought it was a good marketing message. He is reminding potential customers of the innovative history.
    I liked the reach out message to media projects. I get the feeling he is proud to be leading Gibson and wants to make Gibson relevant and superior in the future of guitar building.

rmfroyd and kirobhan like this.
  10. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Threatening TV, movie, and advertising producers seems like an incredibly stupid move.

Even if the name is covered, the body style gets huge exposure. If Gibson wants to get paid for their shapes look for Fender shapes to become far more prominent in media.

11. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

I wonder if Guttenburg would be happy about all the money his family still receives from the Printing Press ? We're at an odd time in Civilization when aspects of ownership . development, technological evolution are in "transition" to something else. There's been such a flood of development over say hundreds of years compared to the tens of thousands before when little technological development was seen. Institutions have these complex definitions of "ownership" within the materialism which defines us today. They're killing us too. They stratify society into creative/non-creative, gifted, disadvantaged, rich and poor. It's all based on materialistic definition.I look at this using anthropological, sociological and historical perspectives.
    China had an incredible sword technology. When it slowly migrated to Japan ,they copied it and evolved it way beyond where anyone would expect they could. China can brag about the origins. I doubt very much if China "invented" the sword.
    Imagine defending a trademark on all swords based on a pointed stick designed to kill people.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  12. jimytheassassin

jimytheassassin Well-Known Member

On the one hand I feel like this is a heavy handed approach. On the other I can see where things really got out of control for the sheer amount of copies and forgeries available. Perhaps the delivery of the message is slightly abrasive and that’s what initially grabbed my attention. But maybe that’s also the point they want to convey. The Gibson brand isn’t being driven on cruise control anymore.

Hopefully their approach pays off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. stevebway

stevebway Metaphysician & Ham

Knowing that Market drives industry and emotion fuels want , driving the desire to have we will see this reality determining more of the future. I can't see the nations who do not ascribe to our "traditions" coming around to OUR way of thinking , especially when we're dependent on these countries for most of our goods. We (society) has unknowingly committed itself to a different way. We have benefited for decades having the world lust after what we have created. As conditions improve we will ultimately benefit from the genius of others.I don't think we've failed. It's just the fluidity of reality to be a flow of change.
    Guitars are a very clear example of this. I think part of the look of physical stress on the speaker was not from pride but from anger and fear. It was obvious. he looked stressed...

If you make a machine that lets you put in numbers and have it squeeze out a guitar EVERYONE'S gonna do it.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    minpind and kirobhan like this.
  14. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

I was waiting for him to threaten to bust some knee caps.

15. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

They survived the Henry J era so I'm sure they will be just fine. It's just a youtube video.

16. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Nothing really new here. He's just making sure everyone understands they'll enforce copywrite and patents. The entertainment warning was pretty much a 'work with us instead of gaming us with tape' EDIT I still don't understand how you copyright a body shape or headstock shape . Name script is copyright body should be patent to my thinking.

despiadado, kirobhan and Chocol8 like this.
  17. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

Entertainment guys are lazy/busy with other stuff. If given the choice of a) use a Les Paul and get our lawyers on the phone with Gibson lawyers and get something worked out even if there is no payment exchanged, or b) use a Fender or Gretsch and a piece of tape, they are mostly going to go with b. If you believe in advertising, that will have an indirect impact on market perception and demand for Gibson shapes.

18. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

Those idiots. TV and movie producers don't tape over the Gibson name to avoid copyright infringement. They do it so that they don't give Gibson free product placement in their production. Want the name exposed? Make a product placement deal. By the way, that will actually cost Gibson some money and/or free gear.

19. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

I know they have a point and respect Gibson protecting their brand but man this comes across as being so distasteful.

Makes me really happy to have not purchased that Gibson. Puts these guys right up there with Ibanez for me.

20. slowhand84

slowhand84 Well-Known Member

Tell Gibson I'll start worrying about their threats and "only a Gibson is good enough" Instagram hashtagging when the couple of Agile LPs I own stop absolutely destroying most of the Gibsons I've played and had over the years ;) (both of which combined cost me less used than one used lower end Studio).

despiadado, tvvoodoo, notme and 5 others like this.