Gibson Says You've Been Warned

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by kirobhan, Jun 14, 2019.

1. cottonmike

cottonmike Well-Known Member

The damage is that that is in my mind from years of trying to watch his demos because I am fascinated in the instruments, while being rendered completely frustrated by his childish shtick. I don't think that it's possible to act that way with a completely sober mind. Maybe, I'm just jealous?

I realize most think it's cute.

2. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm being childish myself in saying this, but it makes me smile thinking that Jon Bon Jovi has to put up with that now, full time, in person. Call it poetic justice for all the cheesy shit Jon forced on us. :ROFLMAO:

Dude can kill it on guitar though. Much respect for his skills.

3. cottonmike

cottonmike Well-Known Member

Agree. And the voice, too.

I'm sure there is a great guy in there somewhere.

4. BatUtilityBelt

BatUtilityBelt Well-Known Member

He's definitely over the top and a bit much, but I still found his videos far easier to listen to/watch than Greg Koch's.

despiadado and peskypesky like this.
  5. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

What has been settled in court in multiple cases is that generic things are not trademarkable, and that things in common usage, including specifically guitar body shapes (Strat, Tele, Les Paul have been ruled on) are not protected. It has also been established that if a trademark is not defended for decades, it becomes public domain. Gibson has a VERY tall hurdle to clear to get a court to roll back those long established precedents.

They also claimed in the video that copying and aspect of the guitar makes it a counterfeit. This is simply not true. There needs to be intent and likely consumer confusion to be a counterfeit. Will someone walk into a store and buy a guitar thinking it is a Gibson because of the trademark violation? If it says Gibson on the headstock? Yes! If it has a different shape headstock that says Dean, Agile, Harley Benton? Of course not.

6. Chocol8

I call it Karma for trying to buy the Buffalo Bills and move them to Toronto.

Although I doubt Phil is really like that all the time. Likely a stage persona that while sometimes it is annoying, it definitely isn’t as boring as many YouTubers.

despiadado and BatUtilityBelt like this.
  7. PsychoCid

PsychoCid Well-Known Member

I think it's just Phil. Sober Phil.

Gibson has been defending their body shape for a long time though, no? Hence everyone else like Rondo is scared to make an accurate body? Always have to chop off the horn or some such...

8. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Well, even they couldn't turn a blind eye to the negative reaction, but they never attempted any damage control when they took the video down... No apology or explanation.

Ha! Yeah, and then they'll be out of business two months after that... But if Gibson could make this about identity politics somehow, then nobody will be allowed to criticize them... Not without being called a "Nazi, racist, fascist, misogynist, troll", anyway. C'mon, Gibson... Where's the representation? All we ever see from you are old, straight, white guys.

Maybe they can do like the entertainment industry and blame poor sales on "the patriarchy" and "toxic masculinity". They should get Brie Larson to do their next video, and say: "I don't care what some middle-aged white dude thinks about the new Les Pauls... They weren't made for him".

9. Chocol8

They have tried to with the LP (and lost to PRS when challenged). Dean has been making the guitars in question for over 4 decades. Not sure why they waited until now, but they may be too late. If they sued Dean over the Flying V in the 70’s I think they would have had a strong case. Now? A MUCH tougher case.

10. Chocol8

Except they are the new poster children for “toxic masculinity”

despiadado, nomadh, Mossman and 2 others like this.
  11. RockYoWorld

RockYoWorld Well-Known Member

I remember that commercial from when I was a kid! Wow, small world

despiadado and peskypesky like this.
  12. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

That was my very first guitar. Kinda crappy quality but it worked well enough for a 15 y/o to bash out sloppy AC/DC riffs. I wish I knew where it was now.

jimytheassassin likes this.
  13. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Yup.

The reason Gibson lost to PRS in the appeals court was the judge said that nobody "at the point of purchase" would think they're buying a Gibson when they were buying a PRS single-cut.

And nobody "at the point of purchase" thinks they're buying a Gibson when they buy a Dean.

The precedent is there, so they have a tough battle. And once again, fuck them.

despiadado, Jaymo, Mossman and 3 others like this.
  14. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

I still don't get this comment. What's the connection between Phil and Mark? I really like Phil. He can be a bit over the top but he's fun and refreshing. Definitely a beast on the guitar, too.

Jaymo likes this.
  15. peskypesky

I think Henry J smashed it.

16. peskypesky

just get past it. the comment was nonsensical. trying to make sense of nonsense is an exercise in frustration.

17. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree with you on the time issue. Gibson did come up with the flying V design and the explorer, had they sued sooner I think it would be justified 40+ years however is asking to much IMHO. As far as the LP body and headstock I believe both had already being used before they made the LP.
    If they just concentrate on making high quality guitars they already have a winner with a little more QC to smooth out the complaints. Litigation should be concentrated on direct counterfeiters such as those that are sold through alibaba IMHO. Yes I guess I'm repeating myself but Gibson seems to be messing up a good reboot by the direction they are taking with this video. It makes it look like a giant litigation machine has taken over instead of folks that really care about producing a quality guitar.

18. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

PhilX, love the guy. What a character and slayer of LeGuitar. I can watch his enthusiastic madness for a long time prior to becoming bored. I can't imagine he has that much energy all day, everyday though. Lordy, that'd be next to impossible to maintain.

19. peskypesky

Might be some substance "helping" him with the energy level

or he's hypomanic. I have a couple of friends who are hypomanic. Incredible amounts of energy.

despiadado, Jaymo and cottonmike like this.
  20. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

Seems like if there was any body shape that was in the public domain it would be the LP. Maybe they still have a chance with the firebird shape. Seems fender came up with something very distinctive with the strat and jazz bass but I think the ship has sailed on all of it by now.