Gibson Says You've Been Warned

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by kirobhan, Jun 14, 2019.

1. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I would have grabbed that! Sounds great in the recording you posted.

toomanycats likes this.
  2. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

my brother's Epiphone Thunderbird is a fantastic bass. One of the best-playing and best-sounding basses I've played.

Mossman likes this.
  3. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Oddly, I think Epiphone's higher-end basses are 10x better than anything Gibson puts out. Bass guitars seem to be an afterthought to Gibson. They're all just bigger versions of their guitars (with the exceptions of the Ripper and Grabber, which, I thought were ugly), and they seem to think that a bass is supposed to sound muddy and/or boomy. Every time I've ever picked up a Gibson bass I've had to crank the treble and turn the bass and low mids all the way down, and it's still sounds like an inarticulate, flubby mess. But a few years ago, I got turned on to the Epiphone Classic IV Pro Thunderbird, and that thing sounded fantastic! I didn't buy one right away, but every time I saw one in a store I would A/B it against a Gibson bird, and it was like a night and day difference. Not only did it sound worlds better, but it was a lot more comfortable to play. The neck on Gibson T-Birds are like telephone poles, while the neck on the Epi was more like a Jazz Bass. The build was also identical to the Gibson (laminated neck-through construction), and it cost about $900 less. I always thought Gibson was shooting themselves in the foot by allowing that bass to exist, but I was glad they did. I ended up getting a killer deal on a mint used one with a case off of GC.

I sold it a couple years later though... Thunderbirds are just too frickin' big for me. It feels like you're playing a dining-room table, and I got tired of constantly whacking it into things.

Jaymo, Believer, tobijohn and 2 others like this.

4. golem

golem Well-Known Member

Same rule I always have. I never buy a guitar if I’m not pretty sure I can sell it for what I paid for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flatline and peskypesky like this.
  5. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

I never buy guitars, guns, or other toys with the intention of selling them.

Jaymo, Flatline, msc_ and 3 others like this.
  6. golem

golem Well-Known Member

I've sold almost everything I owned and moved abroad more than a few times. I don't pass up a good deal nor a good adventure.

7. nomadh

nomadh Well-Known Member

I like em when they are about 40%.
    Not 40% off. Just 40%.

8. Mossman

Just had a chance to read that article... Was that supposed to be an apology?? Sounds like boardroom double-speak to me. What the hell does this mean?:

"Over the past few weeks Gibson....have entered into creative collaboration agreements with key boutique guitar makers and other related industry parties."

I've never heard of a corporation engaging in "creative collaboration" with their competition. Sounds like a meaningless buzz-word.

And in regards to Dean:

"Gibson has genuine intentions of constructive resolution that could be beneficial to both sides."
    Does that mean they're going to drop the lawsuit?? That's about the only thing I can think of that would be "beneficial to both sides".

Obviously they wanted to wait and see how the lawsuit with Framus went before issuing a statement... Way to step up and be accountable, Gibson!

9. peskypesky

10. peskypesky

11. Believer

Believer Well-Known Member

But....according to Gibson fanatics, THAT AIN'T A GIBSON! (I like it just fine, but I'm not much of a bass player....come to think of it, I'm not much of a guitar player, either.:whistle:)

toomanycats likes this.
  12. Mossman

The rabbit hole gets deeper...

BatUtilityBelt, Spike and fullonshred like this.
  13. Narsh

Narsh Well-Known Member

As much as I hate what Gibson is doing, the way they are acting and the crap guitars they have put out over the years, (Yes, I've played quite a few of them and have been mega disappointed every time - 2k-3k instruments should be built better not have runs in paint, sharp fret edges, poorly cut nuts etc....)I can't say a guitar collection is really complete without one.

So as much as I don't like it, I must absolutely get one, as long as it plays right and is built well.

golem, RockYoWorld and kirobhan like this.
  14. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Ohhhhh man, I loved it when he went all Ancient Aliens on it....

kirobhan, Mossman and Spike like this.
  15. Spike

Spike Well-Known Member

FTW! Aliens!!!

16. BatUtilityBelt

BatUtilityBelt Well-Known Member

I liked it much more than his typical videos.

Mossman likes this.
  17. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

His typical videos are an hour of mindless yapping. This one was organized and had a point.

golem, Mossman and BatUtilityBelt like this.
  18. Mossman

I usually pass on his videos too... Actually, I find that most YouTube guitar channels either annoy me, or bore the piss out of me anymore. About the only channels I watch with any regularity are Rick Beato, Adam Neely, Paul Davids and 5-Watt World... Basically, anybody who puts some thought and preparation into their videos gets my attention. Not someone who just turns on a web-cam and starts spouting opinions... or answering one noob question after another for an hour and a half.

Don't even get me started about Anderton's!

Jaymo, Tiga, LessPawl and 1 other person like this.
  19. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

A short musing on all this, in no certain order.

IMO, this whole thing is already starting to die down, and IMO will be a distant memory fairly soon.

I have to say, regardless of how anyone feels about the Big G, I see first hand (by watching the lefty selection on Sweetwater) Gibson sales would appear to be very healthy. Sweetwater had a ton of lefty inventory of Gibson guitars, and it was deep. That inventory disappeared in rather short order and is now down to slightly above normal levels.

I look forward to the return of Mark Agnesi and wish him well in his career. He really is the right guy for the job. Based on watching his Norman's video's, his knowledge of Gibson guitars going all the way back to the early 50's is extensive.

Rock on

20. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Mossman, The Captain has a guy by the name of Pete that plays alongside him in a lot video's lately. Watching Pete play is always a great time. He's one of those guys who becomes one with the guitar and makes some absolutely awesome music. He and the Captain do some jams that are totally off the cuff that IMO, are amazing. The Captain's playing seems to have improved 10 fold over the last year. Chappers, while no doubt a very solid player, to me, is not as enjoyable to watch as Pete. Pete's got the personality and playing ability that keeps me engaged, even on the longer vids. Just some random thoughts from moi.

Happy 4th

BrianSkeezer, Chocol8 and Mossman like this.