Gibson Says You've Been Warned

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by kirobhan, Jun 14, 2019.

1. LookingDownTheCross

LookingDownTheCross Well-Known Member

Looks like Armadillo is filing a counterclaim to cancel the trademarks that Gibson has on the V, Explorer, and ES335 body shapes.
    Gibson might've shot themselves in the foot of this goes like the case that Fender had and they lose their trademarks. Lol fuck'em though, you can't charge a firstborn child for something that has as bad of QC issues as they've had for 10+ years and run around like Big Dick Daddy and expect to maintain a good reputation and business.

Hoping it goes well for the consumers though, I'm looking forward to ESP/LTD rereleasing the Edwards E-FV-### (Gibson style V).
    Hopefully with 24 frets this time lol.

golem, BatUtilityBelt and peskypesky like this.
  2. Flatline

Flatline Well-Known Member

3. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

This could be very costly to Gibson.

4. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Some hefty allegations by Armadillo alleging Gibson strong arming dealers to remove Dean stock from their stores.

fullonshred likes this.
  5. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

If this is true, I absolutely hope Gibson gets raked over the coals.

"This is backed up with a call to action for dealers to help the company “take back control of Gibson’s famous body shape designs”

So now the dealers, who you (allegedly) threaten with lawsuits they could never afford to endure, are supposed to "help" Gibson?

Local music store where I bought my first 4 guitars was started by a young, talented musician. The guy only ever plays Gibson SGs on stage. He told me he desperately wanted to stock Gibson from the start, but that they demanded what for him was an impossibly expensive number of guitars be stocked in order for him to become a Gibson dealer. So he had to hang guitars from less demanding companies on his wall. Fast Forward 35 years.... His store is still in the same location, and still successful. And though he probably could afford it now, he still doesn't stock Gibson guitars.

Gibson seems to be headed for disaster, and like so many disasters, one of their own making.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    golem, nomadh, RockYoWorld and 4 others like this.
  6. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I will most likely never buy another Gibson. There are to many really good manufactures producing much better made guitar for far less money.

7. Chocol8

I see a significant chance Gibson loses the trademarks, has to pay Dean’s legal fees AND a penalty for the dealer interference. KKR will then pay themselves a big bonus and hand it back to bankruptcy court.

8. Chocol8

That is their biggest hurdle. If I ever decide to treat myself to a $4000+ guitar, I can deal one on one with a highly skilled luthier and get a much better instrument than what Gibson is offering at that price point.

9. BatUtilityBelt

BatUtilityBelt Well-Known Member

I hope Armadillo does well in the countersuit, as it seems overdue. At least Gibson will still be able to sell extremely expensive reissues to the lawyers that make out like bandits from all these suits.

peskypesky, ID10T and Chocol8 like this.
  10. Mossman

Mossman Well-Known Member

Threatening to sue stores if they don't dump their Dean inventory??? Bad form, man... I was merely annoyed with Gibson's actions up to this point... Now, I actively want to see them crash and burn.

They're calling on their long-abused dealers to take it in the shorts in order to help them protect their "iconic IP", when they couldn't be bothered to do that THEMSELVES for the last 40 years??

Fuck you very much, Gibson.

nomadh, RockYoWorld, Jaymo and 7 others like this.
  11. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

If Gibson has indeed threatened dealer with punishment if they don't drop certain brands will cost them in court. It has left a bad taste in my mouth and disabused me of ever wanting to own one. I've always associated Gibson with the music i loved growing up, that won't change but wanting one sure has.

12. mozz

mozz Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Control freaks. Company will be tossed around a few more times to drain any blood left.

Jaymo and BatUtilityBelt like this.
  13. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

Geeze, reading the last several posts, it sounds like things on the playing field are heating up. Sounds like the gloves are off. Could be interesting.

14. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

Yep, get the popcorn out. Hopefully, the conclusion will not be something lame like," ..settled out of court for undisclosed terms."

Jaymo, LessPawl and MichaelR like this.
  15. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

If I am ever able to truly afford a guitar in that price range it will be a Yamaha SBG1820LTD. Fo' shore won't be a Gibby "lawsuit company" guitar.

Jaymo and kirobhan like this.
  16. peskypesky

peskypesky Well-Known Member Supporting Member

fingers crossed

17. kirobhan

kirobhan Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Instead of saying how authentic and good enough Gibson is, this is all they had to do. Jump to 4:36 to see the playing. Damn!

fullonshred likes this.
  18. LookingDownTheCross

LookingDownTheCross Well-Known Member

If anything this video just shows a dude butcher Iron Man and proves there's nothing special about that Gibson Les Paul besides what it says on the headstock and the unjustifiable price tag. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

I'm just hoping after Gibson gets done shooting themselves in the foot, that they lower prices or raise quality to actually match their prices and I can finally afford/justify one of their Flying Vs.
    Especially since Jackson is never bringing back their Y2KV and I'd have to make six figures a year and own a home to justify picking up one of the extremely rare used ones floating around lol.

MichaelR likes this.
  19. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

More backpedalling.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/sum...as-it-launches-authorized-partnership-program

"We're not killing the little guys, we love them! We're not even trying to squeeze cash from them, promise! Please love us again?"

Jeez, the transparency displayed here is so total that it'd be completely reasonable to mistake it as having been written by (politically charged statement redacted)'s handlers. This PR storyline is becoming more ridiculous by the day, as if it were being written for a bad TV miniseries.

Meanwhile, I've noticed a definite uptick in NGD posts with "lawsuit" Dean guitars within the various other guitar social media hangouts. Many of them have direct references (often impolite) of the Gibson lawsuit being a motivational factor. Anyone else notice this?

RockYoWorld, ID10T and Flatline like this.
  20. Fat Jack

Fat Jack Well-Known Member

Read JC's statement . 'We're going to tell them what shapes and names they can use and then they pay royalties. Unless you're Dean then we want it all. "

Mossman likes this.