Gibson Says You've Been Warned

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by kirobhan, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Chocol8

Chocol8 Well-Known Member

It means someone there recognized that they fucked up and took action to stop the bleeding before too many more people watch and comment on it.

I would say it is a great first step. If you find yourself in a hole, step 1 is stop digging!

CyFan4036, despiadado, Spike and 7 others like this.
  2. RiverDog

RiverDog Well-Known Member

Yeah I didn't get to see it. Oh well. I get the idea from all the comments.

despiadado, peskypesky and kirobhan like this.
  3. rrobbone

rrobbone Well-Known Member

E99D8EBB-91B8-45ED-9B05-7FCC02C7CAEE.jpeg

Blink twice...

4. idiotsdelight

idiotsdelight Well-Known Member

I wonder how man forums & boards they had their finger on in order to realize what a dumb move that was. An entire video?! Just to drive the point home?
    https://www.gearnews.com/gibsons-mark-agnesi-to-guitar-builders-youve-been-warned-over-copyrights/

In announcing the 2019's video line they should have added something subtle at the end like "As always, made in the USA blah blah blah..." . That's my advice Gibson. My fee is $2500 for 1 hr of consult, thank you Gibson. I'll bill you.

btw- The 2019 Firebirds are $1999. A few years back they were $999. The 2019 has no sculpted step on the headstock & missing banjos. That model continues to turn to shit. And they call that the Historical line? Fuck that. My Epi FB I continues to make me smile.

DonM, despiadado, backinit and 2 others like this.
  5. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

Someone help me here. Was, as I think, Agnesi expressing the belief that movie and TV folks need to PAY Gibson money if one of their guitars appears in a movie or on TV?

I had always figured the TV/Movie folks blacked out guitar brand logos because the guitar companies had declined to pay to have their product featured in those tv programs or movies or to donate the instruments for free.

A little clarification here will be appreciated. Thank you.

despiadado, Stig, Jaymo and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jaymo

Jaymo Well-Known Member

Awww, I missed the video and now it's gone.
    First Gillette, now Gibson.
    They really need to think things through, before acting.

despiadado and kirobhan like this.
  7. Chocol8

Yes, he said covering the logo was not enough to avoid a trademark violation but they would be happy to work with them. WTF?

kirobhan likes this.
  8. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I wonder how serious they really are or who the message was actually directed towards. At the risk of sounding like a rat, not more than a month ago, I reported multiple obvious counterfeits on eBay (Gibson logo, fake serial number and listed as Gibsons) to both (Gibson actually has a form you can fill out on their site) and nothing happened, all auctions went the full six days and the guitars sold for far more than a Chibson ever would (IIRC, close to $1000). Now if those had been Rickenbacker copies, they would have been gone in a day...

9. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have to wonder if Ebay and others have just become numb due to the flood of these things coming from China. There have been so many made and sold as Gibson's now that I almost wonder if there are more fakes than real ones is the US now.

kirobhan likes this.
  10. fullonshred

fullonshred Well-Known Member

It seems to me that having Gibson (or any brand) guitar featured in a tv show or movie is excellent free advertising, if you can get it for free.

Unless I am misunderstanding and they are using Gibson "clones" in the media presentations and attempting to avoid trademark issues with Gibson by blanking the logos on say, ESP/Agile guitars etc. for that reason, I simply do not understand Gibson's stance on this at all.

Shit this a little convoluted.

So - Are the blanked headstock logos in question on Real Gibson guitars, or on Gibson "clones"?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    despiadado, andrewsrea and kirobhan like this.
  11. LessPawl

LessPawl Well-Known Member Supporting Member+ Gold Supporting Member

I suspect Agnesi is making the big bucks at the big G. To leave the job at Norman's, where he was a king, the big G surely had to make him an offer he couldn't refuse. Having watched hundreds of Agnesi's, Norman's vids over the years, I was actually a fan. At times he seemed a little full of himself, but hey, it's Norman's and you walk among the giants in the world of guitars when you work in a shop like that. I missed the Gibson video, DANGIT.

Taking it down speaks volumes. First kerfuffle on the new job, maybe?????? Maybe it was the right thing to do???? I wish Agnesi well in his new job. It's never easy to up and move a family to a new state and totally different lifestyle. Meanwhile, i must say, I've never seen more Chibson's freely being put up for sale on the interwebs. Trying to keep up with the number of sellers can't be an easy task.

I've been watching videos recently on 2019 Gibby guitars. Man, it's either a love it or hate it world. Some guys say they're better than ever, while others say they're absolutely flawed given the prices charged.

despiadado, fullonshred and kirobhan like this.
  12. Chocol8

I doubt Agnesi made the video all on his own. It had to have been scripted. We will likely never know who screwed up, but obviously the team involved didn’t expect the negative reaction they got.

As for their guitars, if I were in charge, the focus would be to make sure every guitar that leaves the factory is PERFECT. Gibson guitars should be BETTER than all the copies making them “worth the price” whatever that price may be. That means premium materials, finishes, craftsmanship etc., but most importantly flawless.

despiadado, Jaymo, tvvoodoo and 6 others like this.
  13. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely, there's got to be a good reason to pay a premium. If they want to make money on volume, well that's what Epiphone is for and from what I've heard, read and experienced myself, even those are generally better as far as consistent build quality than the Gibsons at close to twice the price....

despiadado, Chocol8 and kirobhan like this.
  14. notme

notme Well-Known Member

Quality needs to be top priority, its not been good enough for far too long.

15. kirobhan

kirobhan Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Only a Gibson is "Good Enough" :laughing:

*I'll still gladly except the 50s heritage cherry LP giveaway though.

despiadado and fullonshred like this.
  16. toomanycats

toomanycats Well-Known Member

Let me pull back the veil for ya'll.

If, when you think of Gibson, you picture Slash, or Joe Bonamassa, or Jimmy Page, or any other number of artists who made the guitars bearing that name famous . . . you're wrong.

Or, if you imagine Gibson is all those great songs, solos, and legendary tones . . . wrong again.

And it's most certainly not this Mark Agnesis guy.

You know who it is? It's these guys.

130226144148-ftf18-george-roberts-henry-kravis.jpg

They don't know ALNiCo from al fresco. They could buy everyone on this forum collectively out of their pocket change. They own Gibson. They're going to squeeze it for everything it's worth so they can put another Rothko or whatever the f*ck that thing is behind them on their office wall, buy more yachts and jets, and pay alimony that would float a small country.

Look, here's their dogs. They live better than you or me.

d5337c7e0019dc666ff23c2d6cae35aa.jpg

c17e7b46d6d5a34bc486e1ae3f229d3a.jpg

DonM, RockYoWorld, despiadado and 4 others like this.
  17. ID10T

ID10T Well-Known Member

Well mark my words I tell ya.
    Some time in the next 6-18 months some TV show or movie is gonna have some poor kid wanting to be big in rock'n'roll and he'll struggle and make it. Cut to studio where he asks his roadie to hand him his "Gibson" (not guitar, but "Gibson".)..... That's the next approach. Don't play a guitar, play a Gibson (copyright me 2019.)
    To put it another way...When a lawnmower backfires the news(?) instantly reports about a fully automatic AR-47 Glock bushwacker with extended bannanna clips because people recognize those words (Colt who?) Gibson wants to be that word.
    And how bad will the fallout from the video released be? No such thing as bad publicity as long as they are talking about you. #tashhag
    Got some kids playing on my lawn (rocks) gotta go yell at them.

despiadado and kirobhan like this.
  18. uwmcscott

uwmcscott AGF Survivor Champ

Man, the Gibson hate is still strong around these parts. What is is that gets people’s undies in such a bundle? Wouldn’t it be easier to just not buy one and move on?

tonebender and kirobhan like this.
  19. Chocol8

Fire some .45 ACP warning shots at them with your John Mosses Browning designed 1911.

kirobhan and ID10T like this.
  20. dspellman

dspellman Well-Known Member

Gibson really doesn't have copyright (not copywrite) or patents where headstocks or body shapes are concerned. If anything, it would be trademark.

It's already lost one suit (on the singlecut body shape) when someone (PRS) actually took them to court, and Gibson's lawyers haven't been the best when pressed beyond cease and desist letters. The trademark they claim on the headstock (and the body shape) doesn't apply internationally (Japan doesn't recognize it) and in China it's ignored. IP in a lot of countries is determined only by treaty and sometimes by the amount of money that a particular company has paid specific politicians to include their products.

More importantly, Gibson has never been tested on headstock shape in court. It's seriously expensive to go through the whole intellectual property business right up through a court trial, and there's a better than even chance that they wouldn't prevail anyway. They've mostly gotten by on bluster and deep pockets. It's been easier and cheaper for other companies in the business to make minor changes here and there to skirt the issue. In any case, Gibson is afraid to actually go to court on most of their trademark issues for fear that they'll lose and their headstock shape, etc., will pass into public domain.