Gig Report - Orange Rocker 15

Discussion in 'Amps' started by jamdogg, Jun 11, 2019.

1. jamdogg

jamdogg Well-Known Member Supporting Member

wow, what a fantastic sounding amp in a live setting. played a greasy spoon gig last Sunday (i was on keyboard duty), and my cousin brought his Orange Rocker 15. The opening "act" also used his amp - some AC/DC covers, Cranberries, Nirvana, etc. It sounded really good. Will see if anyone has clips. All i got was a pic during setup.

IMG_1043.JPG

sabasgr68, MicahC, Razzle and 10 others like this.
  2. SamIV

SamIV Well-Known Member

You never hear anything bad about Orange amps. I have never played through one though.

3. tlarson58

tlarson58 Well-Known Member

Greasy spoon? That's an arena!

jamdogg and DominicC like this.

4. Partscaster

Partscaster Well-Known Member

or is it what happened with the waitress after ?

STACKS, RockYoWorld and mark_morton like this.
  5. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

What I like about Orange is their amps all have that mid-range thing in common.

jamdogg likes this.
  6. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Good to hear. Have had mine 7 months and still waiting to gig it. My biggest concern is will the clean channel be loud enough.

7. Razzle

Razzle Well-Known Member

I recently got an opportunity to get a gig with an old clean blues style band (we're talking Muddy Waters) and I checked out my arsenal of amps and guess which one won the tone test ~ my Orange! (glad i bought that thing) It's a Jim Root TT with an open back 2x12.

andrewsrea likes this.
  8. jamdogg

No mods btw, original Voice of the World speaker. Stock tubes.

9. sabasgr68

sabasgr68 Well-Known Member

What a great thing, Jamie @jamdogg ! It looks like a stadium to me!

Clips would be nice to see.

Did you all do your own setup?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

jamdogg likes this.
  10. jamdogg

well yes and no - there was some major technical difficulties with the sound guy's new mixer (an ipad issue that could not be remedied), so our guitarist went home and brought his board in, and some of the monitors were his too. the show was delayed about an hour, and the mix suffered all night. In my very limited gig experience I have learned what is even more rare than a virtuoso musician is a good sound guy. :coffee:

Honestly - it seems easier to find a guitarist who can play complex arrangements flawlessly than it is getting a killer mix dialed in (FOH & stage) throughout a performance.

that all said, it was alot of fun playing some songs with good friends.

sabasgr68 likes this.
  11. Beyer160

Beyer160 Well-Known Member

There's a reason for that.

Smaller clubs are basically like sound guy elementary school. The bar for admittance is low, this is where most guys who "want to learn how to do sound" start out. These places don't want to pay real money, so they get a parade of enthusiastic (or less than enthusiastic) amateurs who start out with little idea what the hell they're doing. A stratification process happens pretty quickly and three groups emerge.

The first group (I call them "short timers") realize that they really don't want to be sound guys after all, and they quit after a couple of months. I have no malice towards these folks, they tried something and realized it was not for them. They are quickly replaced with a new crop of starry-eyed noobs. The second group are the ones with actual talent and aptitude- they read the manuals, they show up early to really learn the gear and put in extra effort to do the best job they can. These guys move on to bigger and better gigs that actually pay decent money pretty quickly.

Then there's the third group. The ones who just don't have what it takes to go work for a regional PA company or bigger club, but their identity is wrapped up in being a "sound guy". They continue to grind on year after year in shitty clubs making shit money, and they cover their meager abilities with a shitty attitude. These guys bug the FUCK out of me. If you hate your job so much, just fucking quit and stop taking your poor life choices out on the bands.

This is a broad generalization, of course. There are also guys who have picked up enough skills to do a decent job "running sound" and do it on the side for fun, or to participate in their local music scene. There are also dumps that force the bartender to operate the PA. This is never a good situation for anyone- in that instance, unless your monitors are screaming with feedback just take whatever mix he gives you and soldier on. By and large though, the sound guy you run into at your local bar will probably fit into one of the three groups I outlined.

sabasgr68 likes this.