Glad I'm A Procrastinator. (shady Music Festival Rant)

Discussion in 'What's left to Talk About?' started by honyock, Mar 12, 2018.

1. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

Was going to get tickets to a music festival this weekend as my birthday present from my wife. (Pot of Gold Festival day 2).

Today, my wife asked me what time I planned to leave despite not yet having tickets. I was trying to find the schedule (which your think would be available at least a few days before the show). I couldn't find it so I decided to check their facebook page.

Luckily I did because Sturgill Simpson had been dropped from the lineup. No offence to Phil Lesh, who I had to Google to find out who he was, but for a co-headliner to be dropped a week before a show and not update the website is a bit shady.

Especially because Sturgill Simpson deleted all his social media last year and his website is not up to date which furthers the confusion.

Based on their Facebook page I'm not the only person that did not see their post from last Friday, the only post to acknowledge the cancellation. Lucky for me I did not already buy a $100 ticket. There was another guy I'd like to see that day (Cody Jinks), but the rest of the lineup I have very little interest in.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

manco53 likes this.
  2. needhelp

needhelp Well-Known Member

Underhanded for sure.

3. STACKS

STACKS Well-Known Member

Cody Jinks
    St Paul and the Broken Bones
    Big Head Todd
    The Infamous Stringdusters
    and others

Still a pretty good lineup for 1 day, I would probably check that out:)

manco53 likes this.

4. Manodano

Manodano Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's a great lineup, but I'd be mighty leery of that. Maybe the promoter didn't sell enough tickets to raise enough cash to prepay his headliner's guarantee, or something like that. As soon a the other acts catch wind of it, they'll flee like rats from a sinking ship.

I've seen a good number of festivals go into a death spiral in my time.

In July 1975 me and two pals drove all the way to Dahlonega, GA to a bluegrass festival in the pouring rain. The only people that showed up were the three of us and Doc and Merle Watson and their bass player Michael Coleman. It was raining like hell and they moved the show to a little grammer school auditorium. Somebody must have paid Doc because he agreed to stay and play. About six or seven locals joined us for the show. Doc and Merle were unreal, I saw 'em play a dozen times.

It cleared up during the show and we invited 'em to our campsite for baked beans and beers. Doc declined but Merle came over for a beer and Michael stayed around for two beers. Super nice guys. I was in complete awe of them. We asked them a million questions about Doc - Merle referred to him as "Daddy". Merle was a killer player in his own right.

One time after a show in Nashville, many beers in, I asked Doc for his autograph. He cut me down quick when he scowled "I can't write Son, I'm blind." Uh oh, time to go...

5. manco53

manco53 Well-Known Member

Sturgill Simpson is a badass. I wonder why he bailed.

6. honyock

If there wasn't a 2hr drive each way I'd be more tempted, I dig St Paul, but not that much. Big head Todd is good, but not a draw. Stringdusters are talented, but again, not a draw.

Sturgill is my #1 favorite artist of the last handful of years (ever since I heard high top mountain thanks to Spotify).

7. tobijohn

tobijohn The Great Enabler Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The way I see it, $100 saved is a set of Buddha pickups and a McDonalds Value meal. Maybe even a little change left over too...

honyock likes this.
  8. honyock

Probably would be enough saved for a couple sets...

Over 240 miles round trip at ~8mpg (unless I felt crazy enough to ride my Harley...), parking, concessions, Lunch and/or Dinner, etc. would really start to add up.