Going Wireless, Am I Late To The Party?

Discussion in 'Gear Chat' started by MichaelR, Aug 11, 2018 at 12:12 AM.

1. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm really tired of kicking around and tripping on my guitar cord, plus it just givings my cat something more to bat around.
    I was looking on ebay and the prices really vary, anywhere from $159 and of course more, to $23. I'm betting you get what you pay for but wonder if any of youz guys have bought a cheap reciever and what your experience with it was.
    I bought to much this month and don't want spend $159 or more if a cheap one will do.;) Here''s a couple I found with a ebay search but if anyone knows of a good deal speak up please.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-W...0&_nkw=wireless+guitar+system&_from=R40&rt=nc
    I may try this one for 39 bucks https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nady-DKW-3...0&_nkw=wireless+guitar+system&_from=R40&rt=nc
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Line-6-Rel...81903405?epid=18009492740&hash=item1ee4752d2d

2. MichaelR

MichaelR Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Radio waves bump

Attached Files:

3. helsinkirocks

helsinkirocks Well-Known Member

I have an audio technica one, it works fine and is a neat gimmick, but i usually just use a cord. Lol. One less 9v battery to replace all the damn time.

MichaelR likes this.

4. rmfroyd

rmfroyd Well-Known Member AGF Registered Dealer

I think @zisme just got the Line6 one you were looking at. I had some money burning a hole in my pocket so I just ordered this, hasn't got here yet:

18ac35f9d51f34d7ea62e24b71bc7f23.jpg

nrussell23, zisme and MichaelR like this.
  5. Rokdog

Rokdog Well-Known Member

I bought several sets of the XVIVE when they were flash saled for $70.bucks
    they work pretty well..

b19f39c47f7dad6e6f7bc8b0f3947e51._.jpg

blowtorch and MichaelR like this.
  6. blowtorch

blowtorch Well-Known Member

Yep these are great

MichaelR likes this.
  7. backinit

backinit Well-Known Member

I have never really felt the need to go wireless. I figured my cords work just fine and most of the stages around here in bars are not that big.

MichaelR likes this.
  8. andrewsrea

andrewsrea Well-Known Member

The Samson Stage 22 true diversity from 1987 is a permanent fixture on my pedal board. However, I use a cable at home and would even consider doing so if I played out. Depnds on the gig.

The bad thing about the Samson, it has a little compression and noise (the transmitter). The nice thing is I modified it to run hotter, with a bit more head room (the receiver - buffer amp), like Angus Young's rig.

MichaelR likes this.
  9. Mr. Leyvatone

Mr. Leyvatone Well-Known Member

My bandmates gave me an AKG/Harman WMS40 Mini for a birthday gift.

It's simple to use, works well, and does not quickly burn through the (1) A battery in the transmitter.

It's compact, so it tucks neatly into the underside of my pedalboard.

I see that they are $100 on Amazon.

20180812_092933.jpg

MichaelR likes this.
  10. RedLesPaul

RedLesPaul Well-Known Member

I've had a lot of experience with wireless mics, not much with guitar systems. In most rooms I've played, I still wound up with cords for both. Most guitar systems DO affect tone a bit.

MichaelR likes this.
  11. solteroblues

solteroblues Well-Known Member

I really like my Line 6 system. I got it nearly for free, but that was because I had GC bucks from when I bought my PRS.

It amazes me how similar the Line 6 and the Boss look, at least the transmitter part...

zisme and MichaelR like this.
  12. Stig

Stig Well-Known Member Supporting Member+

I'm still firmly in the Cable Age, and don't ever expect to go wireless.

MichaelR likes this.
  13. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

I brought my Line 6 G10 to band practice last night. Played for about 2 hours without issue. No noticeable difference in tone or added noise. Never lost signal - even when i walked out into the parking lot outside our storage unit.

I'm not sure how necessary it is for me with the band, since i spend a lot of time at the microphone and near my pedalboard. Also, the stages we gig on are usually quite small. It may be something i use mostly at home where cable restriction in my music room tends to be more of a problem. I will bring it to my other band's practice where i play bass - and am not yet singing - to see if it's more useful/appropriate in that setting.

As for the product itself - so far i'm definitely sold. It is extremely easy to use. you plug it in, charge the transmitter, and you're ready to go. so far the transmitter has fit nicely in several different style input jacks. There's no channel/frequency selection - it does that for you. It unplugs silently if your amp is still on - so a quick guitar change definitely seems doable. A full charge is supposed to last up to 8 hours. i'm not sure what scenario i would ever be in to test that. 3+ hours would certainly keep me covered. No 9 volts to deal with (my main reason for avoiding wireless thus far) and no strap packs. Like I said - I can't hear any impact on tone or noise level, and neither could my bandmates.

The only improvement i would suggest is that it have a standard 9v DC power option (like the boss wl-50), so it would be more compatible with a pedalboard. i can use the additional outlet on my power 2 plus bricks so it's not a huge issue for me, but the micro-usb/power plug seems like a strange choice considering..

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 9:15 AM
    nrussell23 and MichaelR like this.